Pacific NW Report

Face it, sometimes you just don't want to cook. Got a great brewpub or restaurant you want to tell everyone about? Post it here.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Pacific NW Report

Postby DLS » Sun Jul 30, 2006 8:07 pm

Just spent some time up in the Pacific NW so I thought I'd share my beer experiences:

Archer Ale House (Bellingham): Wow. Just...wow. What an incredibly awesome place. Fantastic bottled beer list, especially if you like Belgian beers. Fantome, Deus, Delirium, Dupont, Westy, Rochefort. At least five different geuzes and a couple of faros. Lambics galore. Rauchbier, Berliner weisse, Baltic porters, the list goes on and on. Even had some DFHs and a bunch of Unibroues. The staff was beer-educated, they had specific glassware for the beers where appropriate, and they had board games for the patrons.

Red Hook (Woodinville): The cask ESB was pretty good. The summer rye was OK. The building was beautiful.

San Juan Brewing Co. (Friday Harbor): Mostly low alc session beers. The IPA was 1.041, 4.1%. The porter was nice, as was the five-pepper beer. The pale ale was bland. Ditto the IPA-hefeweizen hybrid.

Mac & Jack's African Amber (Redmond): A very good beer. Wish I could get it at home.

Pike Auld Acquaintance (Seattle): Delicious. Even out of season!

Boundary Bay IPA (Bellingham): A good IPA. The go-to beer at the place I had it.

Scuttlebutt IPA (Everett): OK. Very....OK.

La Conner Amber Ale (La Conner): Didn't like it. Wish I could've tried their other beers, though. I've heard good things.

Cheers...
Dave
"Drink Positive"

Past: Pale Ale, DIPA
Present: Zip
Future: Saison, weizen
DLS
Micro Brewery (2500 posts)

Postby Backglass » Mon Jul 31, 2006 7:08 am

I just got back from a family vacation in the Pacific NW as well. I also give a thumbs up to Mac N Jacks amber...good beer!

While out on the pennisula visiting the relatives, my brother-in law was bragging that he had a brewery literally down the street. One afternoon we made a pitstop into the Hood Canal Brewery and had a few pints. The brewmaster/owner is a nice guy who started out home brewing years ago, then started selling the home brew, then quit his job to brew full-time...your basic Cinderella beer dream. The beers were good, not as hoppy as I would like, but the IPA was decent. The Stout & Porter were good as well. They fill growlers, would fill up a cornie I'm sure, and probably give you some yeast slurry and sell you grain if you asked nicely.
Barry - NY

"A brewer is YOU!"

--------

On Tap: Jamil's Chocolate Hazelnut Porter, Gnome Rootbeer, Hard Lemonade, Schwartzbier
Conditioning: Rogue I2PA
Fermenting: ---
Starter: ---
Backglass
Barrel (1000 posts)

Postby Stein » Mon Jul 31, 2006 5:37 pm

You guys both missed Diamond Knot. Make sure to hit it next time.
Stein
Barrel (1000 posts)

Postby Onobier » Mon Jul 31, 2006 5:43 pm

Stein wrote:You guys both missed Diamond Knot. Make sure to hit it next time.

I'll second that! Diamond Knot in Mulkiteo (sp?) is great. Super friendly guys, small town pub "peanut shells on the floor" feel, great beer and the granite slab grilled food is killer. My fav :D
Onobier
Pint Glass (25 posts)

Postby beerrun » Wed Aug 02, 2006 7:54 pm

When I'm in the Seattle area, my favorites are Redhook IPA (I think they used to call it Ballard Bitter). Hart Brewing Co. across from Safeco Field is great too (I love Snow Cap in the winter!). (Anyone know what ever happened to Pyramid Brown?) If you ever come to the Portland, Oregon area, drive 45 minutes east to Hood River and try Full Sail. Their Amber is exceptional.
beerrun
Barrel (1000 posts)

Postby DLS » Fri Nov 17, 2006 10:38 pm

Stein wrote:You guys both missed Diamond Knot. Make sure to hit it next time.

Thumbing through and old BYO I came across a recipe for Diamond Knot IPA. Let me know if you're interested. Cheers...
Dave
"Drink Positive"

Past: Pale Ale, DIPA
Present: Zip
Future: Saison, weizen
DLS
Micro Brewery (2500 posts)

Return to Great Places