Going to NYNY Saturday

Face it, sometimes you just don't want to cook. Got a great brewpub or restaurant you want to tell everyone about? Post it here.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Going to NYNY Saturday

Postby BeerPal » Thu Oct 02, 2008 11:01 am

Will be there for a week. Who's got the skinny on good beer and pizza in Manhattan?
"Make beer not war"

Currently fermenting: Nothing
Conditioning: Firestone Walker Pale 31 clone
On draught: Nothing

Watch episodes of BYOB TV: http://www.kofytv.com/byob-tv/archive/
BeerPal
Addict (5000 posts)

Re: Going to NYNY Saturday

Postby bewm » Thu Oct 02, 2008 11:31 am

BeerPal wrote:Will be there for a week. Who's got the skinny on good beer and pizza in Manhattan?
Heartland Brewery is pretty good, and there are plenty of them (5 IIRC) in Manhattan alone. Awesome Oatmeal Stout, to which I personally benchmark all others against.

If you're going over to Brooklyn you can always tour the Brooklyn Brewery as well. Pizza is easy: just look for someplace with lots of people and, if possible, a wood-burning stove :)
bewm: A word used many, many times in the "Music" album by the band 311.
bewm
Corny Keg (500 posts)

Postby TampaBrew » Thu Oct 02, 2008 11:55 am

Any pizza in the city is good. Shadier place the better, you can't go wrong. Check out Gray's Papaya too. Awesome hot dogs and rediculously cheap.
TampaBrew
Barrel (1000 posts)

Postby rplace » Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:09 pm

Ray's Pizza for sure :wink:
rplace
Micro Brewery (2500 posts)

Postby BeerPal » Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:45 pm

TampaBrew wrote:Any pizza in the city is good.

Well, this is why I ask. Talk to any New Yorker and they'll say that New York pizza is better than any other. But this won't be my first time to the Big Apple and last time I was there, I didn't find anything that even approached my favorite Bay Area pizza place. So now I wanna get some opinions about specific pizza joints, 'cause my experience is that not every NY pizza place is great.
"Make beer not war"

BeerPal
Addict (5000 posts)

Postby Mr. Wonderful » Fri Oct 03, 2008 3:44 am

When it came to Bay Area pizza , I ALWAYS went to franky , johnny and Luigi ? I think that was it.. MAn , pies to die for . its been 10 years or so since i had one .
Rich Brooks --
When working twice as hard to compensate for lack of talent, there's no end to what you can't achieve.
Mr. Wonderful
Barrel (1000 posts)

Postby bewm » Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:37 am

BeerPal wrote:Talk to any New Yorker and they'll say that New York pizza is better than any other.
I'm not a New Yorker, born and raised in Jersey, which is why I said to look for someplace with a wood-burning stove. If you just want a slice or two of greasy-ass NY pizza then any shack will do. If you want some flavor, and something good, go with wood-burning.

A Frommers guide would probably be helpful if you're at a total loss. I've used them in Europe and their dining selections are always 100% spot on.
bewm: A word used many, many times in the "Music" album by the band 311.
bewm
Corny Keg (500 posts)

Postby thetooth » Fri Oct 03, 2008 10:13 am

BeerPal wrote:
TampaBrew wrote:Any pizza in the city is good.

Well, this is why I ask. Talk to any New Yorker and they'll say that New York pizza is better than any other. But this won't be my first time to the Big Apple and last time I was there, I didn't find anything that even approached my favorite Bay Area pizza place. So now I wanna get some opinions about specific pizza joints, 'cause my experience is that not every NY pizza place is great.

I spent 9 months working a contract in midtown Manhattan and I have to say that NY pizza sucks. I know New Yorkers swear it's the best, but that's just because they are used to it.
thetooth

Postby BeerPal » Fri Oct 03, 2008 5:05 pm

OK, what about beer? How do we feel about Brooklyn Brewing? Chelsea Brewing? Heartland? What else is there?
"Make beer not war"

BeerPal
Addict (5000 posts)

Postby thetooth » Fri Oct 03, 2008 5:11 pm

Let me add that there are fantastic restaurants there. If you can afford the cost and time, skip the crappy pizza and enjoy some of the really good restaurants in the city.
thetooth

Postby BeerPal » Fri Oct 03, 2008 6:02 pm

I know you can't swing a dead cat without hitting a great restaurant in Manhattan. I've been there before and we will eat well. But I am a pizza fanatic and I want some good NYC pizza. And beer, if there is any to be had.
"Make beer not war"

BeerPal
Addict (5000 posts)

Postby TampaBrew » Fri Oct 03, 2008 6:40 pm

thetooth wrote:I spent 9 months working a contract in midtown Manhattan and I have to say that NY pizza sucks. I know New Yorkers swear it's the best, but that's just because they are used to it.

and vice versa. i haven't had a bay area pizza that was a turd either. so i guess it is what we are used to. but NJ makes the best pizza ;)

beerpal,The Gingerman was one of the better beer bars i've been to in NYC:
http://www.gingerman-ny.com

reBar is supposedly good, but i have never ben there:
http://www.rebarnyc.com
TampaBrew
Barrel (1000 posts)

Postby Dmac08 » Fri Oct 03, 2008 6:52 pm

Mr. Wonderful wrote:When it came to Bay Area pizza , I ALWAYS went to franky , johnny and Luigi ? I think that was it.. MAn , pies to die for . its been 10 years or so since i had one .

Where is a Franky, Johnny, and Luigi?
In the immortal words of Jean Paul Sartre, 'Au revoir, gopher'.

On Tap: Belgian Pale Ale, ESB
Fermenting: Amber Ale, Black Butte Porter Clone
Lagering: Oktoberfest, Munich Helles
On Deck:Stone Levitation Clone
Dmac08
Barrel (1000 posts)

Postby grouchybastid » Sun Oct 05, 2008 4:29 pm

Born-and-raised NYer here, only relocated to Seattle last year. I will very calmly ignore any and all blasphemous statements about any locale's pizza being superior to NYC's. :evil:

Two Boots pizza is good, if a bit touristy. If you make it into Queens (and you should! My home borough) go to Rizzo's. Amazing pizza, they've been in business since '56. Ray's on St. Marks is damn fine pizza as well.

You've gotta make it to the Brooklyn Brewery, and McSorley's Old Ale House. Only two beers on tap (house brands), but they're both good and how can you not have a pint in a bar that's been around since Lincoln was president? The Heartland was already mentioned, I heartily second their Oatmeal Stout.

I'm sure I'll think of a couple more. Enjoy!
Light beer is beer designed for chicks - and men who are big puss-wacks and can't handle a real beer. Put some pants on and grab a real beer -- majorvices
grouchybastid
6 Pack (200 posts)

Postby cdh » Sun Oct 05, 2008 5:03 pm

How far are you willing to travel within the 5 boroughs for your pizza? IF you're looking for Manhattan only options get takeout pizza from Lil' Frankie's on 1st Ave about 2nd St, and walk a block north to dba for beer.

I've heard good things about a little pizza joint called Artichoke on 14th between 2nd Ave and 1st Ave, but haven't checked it out myself. Supposed to have a very limited selection of very good pies.

If you're willing to ride subways to the end of the line, you could go to Totono's in Coney Island... and get a last look at the place before it gets bulldozed into condos...

There's also DiFara in the area right around Brooklyn College, which has a cult following.
cdh
Pint Glass (25 posts)

Next

Return to Great Places