Going to NYNY Saturday

Face it, sometimes you just don't want to cook. Got a great brewpub or restaurant you want to tell everyone about? Post it here.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Re: Going to NYNY Saturday

Postby bewm » Mon Oct 06, 2008 6:22 am

TampaBrew wrote:so i guess it is what we are used to. but NJ makes the best pizza ;)
Amen to that.
bewm: A word used many, many times in the "Music" album by the band 311.
bewm
Corny Keg (500 posts)

Postby thetooth » Mon Oct 06, 2008 8:41 am

cdh wrote:How far are you willing to travel within the 5 boroughs for your pizza? IF you're looking for Manhattan only options get takeout pizza from Lil' Frankie's on 1st Ave about 2nd St, and walk a block north to dba for beer.

I'll bet that's why I couldn't find good pizza. I was working in Manhattan and didn't get off the island very often. If one of the locals who kept telling me about how great their pizza was had just pointed me to one of the places outside of Manhattan I may have left with a better opinion.
thetooth
Micro Brewery (2500 posts)

Postby BeerPal » Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:10 am

Got back from my NYC trip last night. My quest for good pizza and beer was more or less a success. As far as pizza went, the best we had was at John's on 44th. Good enough that we went twice (although to be truthful, the second time was something of a disappointment.) But virtually all the places we tried were quite good, no clunkers in the bunch. I found that asking cops on the street usually yielded good results. But I have a newfound respect for New York pizza. Good stuff.

As far as beer goes, the selection of local beers in NYC is fairly limited. There is one local brewpub we didn't get to (Westside Brewing on the upper westside) and I was dismayed to discover that Brooklyn Brewing doesn't have a brewpub. There are a few alehouses that have pretty good selections (especially Belgians) but we stuck primarily with brewpubs. But the most oustanding beer I had was from a bottle. The Brooklyn Brewing lager was excellent, as was their pilsner. I never did see it on draught though. Also, while not a local beer, I hoped to find some Dogfish Head products but came up empty.

All in all, a great trip. New York is the greatest city in the world, IMHO. I love that town.
"Make beer not war"

Currently fermenting: Nothing
Conditioning: Firestone Walker Pale 31 clone
On draught: Nothing

Watch episodes of BYOB TV: http://www.kofytv.com/byob-tv/archive/
BeerPal
Addict (5000 posts)

Postby bewm » Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:14 am

BeerPal wrote:I hoped to find some Dogfish Head products but came up empty. .
Not a lot of places have Dogfish Head on tap... it's kinda sad. One place that does is The Office, a small restaurant chain in New Jersey. Their food is so-so, but they have a very good selection of micro and crafts... the best you'll find in most places like it.
bewm: A word used many, many times in the "Music" album by the band 311.
bewm
Corny Keg (500 posts)

Postby landarc » Tue Oct 14, 2008 7:26 pm

Dmac08 wrote:
Mr. Wonderful wrote:When it came to Bay Area pizza , I ALWAYS went to franky , johnny and Luigi ? I think that was it.. MAn , pies to die for . its been 10 years or so since i had one .

Where is a Franky, Johnny, and Luigi?

DMAC, it is in Dublin, CA, and it is pretty good.
is Drinking-Chocolate Stout, Root Beer Ale
is Conditioning-nothing

symptom: beer unusually pale and tasteless
flaw: glass is empty
action: get someone to fill your glass

http://smoke-n-brew.blogspot.com/
landarc
Barrel (1000 posts)

Postby TampaBrew » Tue Oct 14, 2008 7:57 pm

bewm wrote:
BeerPal wrote:I hoped to find some Dogfish Head products but came up empty. .
Not a lot of places have Dogfish Head on tap... it's kinda sad. One place that does is The Office, a small restaurant chain in New Jersey. Their food is so-so, but they have a very good selection of micro and crafts... the best you'll find in most places like it.

yeah, they have a great beer selection. Last time I was at an Office they had rare vos on tap and DFH 60 as well. Unexpected beer selection.
TampaBrew
Barrel (1000 posts)

Postby theisenm85 » Sun Nov 02, 2008 4:08 pm

BeerPal wrote:I know you can't swing a dead cat without hitting a great restaurant in Manhattan. I've been there before and we will eat well. But I am a pizza fanatic and I want some good NYC pizza. And beer, if there is any to be had.

What about a live cat?
Brew strong
Mike Theisen - Coffee Marketing/Sales, Showroom
http://www.morecoffee.com
theisenm85
Pint Glass (25 posts)

Postby Brew Chemist » Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:57 am

theisenm85 wrote:
BeerPal wrote:I know you can't swing a dead cat without hitting a great restaurant in Manhattan. I've been there before and we will eat well. But I am a pizza fanatic and I want some good NYC pizza. And beer, if there is any to be had.

What about a live cat?

You can't swing a live cat. They tend to stick to your face with claws....
In the brain: Jitterfingers Mocha Stout

In primary: nil

In secondary: Strawberry Wine, Peach Wine

In bottles: Loonshine Winter Warmer
Brew Chemist
Pint Glass (25 posts)

Postby Beer4Guy » Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:42 am

BeerPal wrote:New York is the greatest city in the world, IMHO. I love that town.

+1. Best place to live too, if you are single and have alot of money. If not, still a great place to visit.

Guy
Beer4Guy
Barrel (1000 posts)

Postby lucybear000 » Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:36 pm

The Gingerman has great selection of beer, and jump on the subway to go to Blind Tiger....YUM!
lucybear000
Taster Glass (2 posts)

Previous

Return to Great Places