Chelsea Brewing- NYC

Face it, sometimes you just don't want to cook. Got a great brewpub or restaurant you want to tell everyone about? Post it here.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Chelsea Brewing- NYC

Postby BeerPal » Sun Oct 05, 2008 7:56 pm

Had lunch here today. Great location right on the Hudson River at the very cool Chelsea Piers, overlooking a marina and Hoboken on the other side. Large, 3-level interior but comfortable and inviting. The food was good (had some great wings) and the service attentive.

The beer menu was fairly limited (as it was at heartland) but they did have an IPA. Billed as a "California-style IPA, it makes use of 4 different hops in 5 additions as well as 3 dry hop additions. A hazy, golden color, apparently unfiltered, surprisingly little aroma, this beer is harshly bitter. Not horribly so (didn't stop me from having two :P ), but the body is too light, the malt backbone too understated to balance the hoppiness.

I found this to be the case with the Sunset Red ale as well. The body is on the thin side, allowing the hop bitterness to overpower any maltiness. I appreciated the brewer's intentions, but both these beers miss the mark.
"Make beer not war"

Currently fermenting: Nothing
Conditioning: Firestone Walker Pale 31 clone
On draught: Nothing

Watch episodes of BYOB TV: http://www.kofytv.com/byob-tv/archive/
BeerPal
Addict (5000 posts)

Return to Great Places