Anchorage Micros

Face it, sometimes you just don't want to cook. Got a great brewpub or restaurant you want to tell everyone about? Post it here.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Anchorage Micros

Postby Gucci Pilot » Sat Aug 20, 2005 11:11 am

I just got back from a trip up to Alaska and I stopped in at the Glacier Brewing Co and Snow Goose Brewing Co. First, Anchorage in the summer can't be beat. Awesome views, weather, people, and the flying is great (of course). Glacier is moderately priced as far as food and drink. Goose is located on 6th (or 5th) is a timber post and beam (hey it's AK) with a large bar area which is packed with more of the tourist crowd as it is located in souvenier shopping hell. Want your beer to go? There's 64 oz growlers from their normal line up. The beers are good especially the barrel aged doppelbock. Wow.

Snow Goose is located on 3rd and F street in a three story overlooking the bay. The restaurant is on the second floor and the bar is on the third floor. The bar has an outdoor deck that has GREAT views of the float planes coming out of the port (come on, I'm a pilot). Like Glacier, the price is moderate but the crowd is more of the local ilk because it's not as close to the shopping district. But, get there early if you want a table out on the deck (during the summer).

If you are in Anchorage and want to take back fish and crab, 10 & M Seafood is big operation in a small building located on... 10 & M. They will even fillet and pack your catch in dry ice. Humpy's is a good local bar (read "biker") that serves good seafood appertizers. Club Paris has the best steaks, ORCO has great fish and even better desserts. The Mooses tooth is a fantastic pizza joint on Seward Rd. Adult entertainment? Since I have never been there (ahem), the Alaskan Bush Company (the ABC) on International Airport Dr. They give military discounts... I think.

I'm going to do a review on Glacier's and Snow Goose's selection in the reviews once I figure out TF's grading scale.

Darin
Gucci Pilot
6 Pack (200 posts)

Postby Stein » Sat Aug 20, 2005 10:35 pm

I have been to Humpy's several times as well as Chilkoot Charlie's. Overall, the food and beer in Anchorage is tough to beat.

As good as it is in the summer, it sure sucks in the winter. I actually saw some bums building igloos in the park by the hotel.
Stein
Barrel (1000 posts)

Postby Gucci Pilot » Sun Aug 21, 2005 8:11 am

I talked to a guy stationed at Elmendorf AFB that is from upstate New York. He said in the three years that he has been there, on average it has been 10 to 15 degrees warmer in the winter than in NY. I don't if he's pulling my leg or not. I have, however, been to Fairbanks in the dead of winter for an exercise. It got down to the -20's and that's too much for a 4th generation native Floridian.

Darin
Gucci Pilot
6 Pack (200 posts)

Postby Stein » Sun Aug 21, 2005 11:04 pm

I can't say how cold it is in NY, but I am sure the sun comes up before 11 am in NY. Darkness sucks bigtime.

I think Anchorage is far more temperate (relatively) since it is so close to the water. It does get bigtime cold, even for a Montana boy such as myself.

I have camped and skied in -20, it isn't terribly bad. Skiing that cold isn't too much fun because the snow isn't slick. You can do fine with the right gear. -40 and colder isn't too cool. They don't really make gear to keep you pleasant at that temp.
Stein
Barrel (1000 posts)

Re: Anchorage Micros

Postby canderson » Wed May 28, 2008 4:51 pm

There was no mention of Midnight Sun Brewing Company ijn Anchorage off of Arctic Blvd. It is by far one of the best breweries in the state of Alaska. If you have not ever been you are in for a real treat as they make some really unique brews. They have a tap room open where samples can be purchased and they generally have anywhere from 7-10 beers available for purchase on tap and dozens of bottled varieties as well. Gabe Fletcher is the inovative head brewer and Mark Staples and Barb Miller are the proud owners ask for one of them if you stop by.
canderson
Taster Glass (2 posts)

Return to Great Places