Water Supply for a Utility Sink

If you want to talk about something not related to one of the topics above, then you post it here. Still, no selling stuff, no political rants, no arguing about all the stupid stuff in the world. This is an auto-pruned forum, so topics that are not posted to frequently will automatically drop off.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Postby BeerPal » Mon Feb 26, 2007 11:34 am

Beach Brewer wrote:I just solved my issue after making 2 trips to the hardware store.

What I did was use a T valve to split the hot and cold washing machine water coming from the wall. From there I used a washing machine hose (the one with 2 female ends) and connected it to the T valve. From that hose I used a Watts brass hose adapter (Home Depot has them: Part A-663) 3/4''MH x 1/2'' MIP. I connected the 3/4'' end of the adapter to the washing machine hose and the other 1/2'' end to a water supply line. The water supply line is 1/2'' FIP on one end and 1/2'' FIP on the other. The water supply line screws right into my faucet shanks. No leaks, no issues.

It may not solve your problem if your faucet shanks are different sizes but it solved mine. Hope it helps. :)

Good work. This is the answer I needed. Thanks.
"Make beer not war"

Currently fermenting: Nothing
Conditioning: Firestone Walker Pale 31 clone
On draught: Nothing

Watch episodes of BYOB TV: http://www.kofytv.com/byob-tv/archive/
BeerPal
Addict (5000 posts)

Postby BeerPal » Mon Feb 26, 2007 6:38 pm

BeerPal wrote:
Beach Brewer wrote:I just solved my issue after making 2 trips to the hardware store.

What I did was use a T valve to split the hot and cold washing machine water coming from the wall. From there I used a washing machine hose (the one with 2 female ends) and connected it to the T valve. From that hose I used a Watts brass hose adapter (Home Depot has them: Part A-663) 3/4''MH x 1/2'' MIP. I connected the 3/4'' end of the adapter to the washing machine hose and the other 1/2'' end to a water supply line. The water supply line is 1/2'' FIP on one end and 1/2'' FIP on the other. The water supply line screws right into my faucet shanks. No leaks, no issues.

It may not solve your problem if your faucet shanks are different sizes but it solved mine. Hope it helps. :)

Good work. This is the answer I needed. Thanks.

Went and bought the parts just now. Worked like a charm. Awesome! Thanks, Beach!
"Make beer not war"

BeerPal
Addict (5000 posts)

Postby Beach Brewer » Mon Feb 26, 2007 7:48 pm

Glad it worked out for you. I'm going to be doing the plumbing for this sink over the weekend so I may have a few questions for you since you said you've already finished that part.

Did you drain your sink down the washing machine drain pipe?
-Bryan
Batches Brewed: 100

"..and I will make it felony to drink small beer." --Shakespeare's Henry VI
Beach Brewer
Micro Brewery (2500 posts)

Postby MullerBrau » Mon Feb 26, 2007 8:17 pm

Beach Brewer wrote:Did you drain your sink down the washing machine drain pipe?
I just installed a new front loading washer and dryer and am going to try and hook up the washer discharge to a 2" PVC wye above the laundry tub's P-trap. Anybody know any reasons why I should not attempt this? The LG installation manual said its OK as ling as it is installed into the drain at least 24" above the feet of the machine.
MullerBrau
Barrel (1000 posts)

Postby BeerPal » Tue Feb 27, 2007 12:00 am

Beach Brewer wrote:Did you drain your sink down the washing machine drain pipe?

Sort of. I installed a "Y" upstream of the P-trap for the washer. So the washer drain pipe goes in one arm of the "Y" and the sink drains into the other. They share the P-trap. This works OK, but I see that I should really have a separate P-trap for the sink as suds from the washer back up into the sink when the washer drains. I think another P-trap just below the sink drain will solve this.
"Make beer not war"

BeerPal
Addict (5000 posts)

Postby Monster Mash » Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:52 am

I have a clean out behind my washer, I just removed the cap, threaded in a coupling and hooked up the drain line.
Monster Mash
Post Whore (10000 posts)

Re: Water Supply for a Utility Sink

Postby edward137 » Sun Dec 04, 2016 5:00 am

BeerPal wrote:My tale of woe (or stupidity, you pick):

I have long wanted a utility sink in my brewery/garage/laundry/place-that-never-seems-to-stop-acquiring-junk. I bought a best ceramic Pedestal Sink and all the goodies I thought I'd need to plumb it. After a day of dicking around with the drain aspect of it, I think I got that part solved. Here's where I'm stuck. I figured I could share the water supply that the washing machine uses. To that end, I bought a couple brass, garden hose thread "Y" valves and split the hot and cold supply coming out of the wall. I also bought a set of washing machine supply lines and two 3/4"-1/2" adapters so that I could attach the supply lines to the faucet shanks on the sink.

Well, of course the adapters leak like crazy where they mount on the plastic shanks and no amount of Teflon tape seems stop it. I am hoping I don't have to hard-pipe the supply. Anybody got a suggestion on how to best connect my garden hose thread valves to my 1/2" NPT (I assume) faucet shanks? Thanks.

Hi,
Regular cleaning of washer is very important to make your sink work properly.
edward137
Empty Glass (<2 posts)

Postby BeerPal » Mon Dec 12, 2016 3:07 pm

Haven't checked in here in a very long time. First thing I click on (not even realizing it) was a thread I'd started (but had been dead for almost 10 years) that somebody posted in a couple of days ago, :D
"Make beer not war"

BeerPal
Addict (5000 posts)

Postby tookalisten » Mon Dec 12, 2016 5:57 pm

Welcome back! BeerPal Thanks for checking in. That's the way we roll here on B3 Forum, we keep bringing back up old posts just to have something to do, and it calls the old members back thru the interwebs.
Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
~Robert Brault

Primary:
Kegged: Brown Ale, Sweet Stout, Vienna Lager, Pale Ale
tookalisten

Postby rplace » Tue Dec 13, 2016 5:06 am

Whaaaaat? Beerpal is back? The world is right again! Who is next to show up?

Welcome back! Still have your mill milling away? IIRC you helped me get mine going. Just used it for a 15G batch on Sunday.
rplace

Postby Brewtime » Tue Dec 13, 2016 7:43 am

BeerPal wrote:Haven't checked in here in a very long time. First thing I click on (not even realizing it) was a thread I'd started (but had been dead for almost 10 years) that somebody posted in a couple of days ago, :D

Pretty sure its a spam bot
Drew

Work Hard, Rock Hard, Eat Hard, Sleep Hard, Grow Big, Wear Glasses if you need 'em "Web Wilder"
Brewtime
Addict (5000 posts)

Postby BeerPal » Tue Dec 13, 2016 8:43 am

Brewtime wrote:
BeerPal wrote:Haven't checked in here in a very long time. First thing I click on (not even realizing it) was a thread I'd started (but had been dead for almost 10 years) that somebody posted in a couple of days ago, :D

Pretty sure its a spam bot

I didn't know anybody still used this forum. I guess I'll have to start hanging out again.
"Make beer not war"

BeerPal
Addict (5000 posts)

Postby BeerPal » Tue Dec 13, 2016 8:45 am

rplace wrote:Still have your mill milling away?

Still up and running. I love that thing.
"Make beer not war"

BeerPal
Addict (5000 posts)

Previous

Return to Off Topic Stuff