Water Supply for a Utility Sink

If you want to talk about something not related to one of the topics above, then you post it here. Still, no selling stuff, no political rants, no arguing about all the stupid stuff in the world. This is an auto-pruned forum, so topics that are not posted to frequently will automatically drop off.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Water Supply for a Utility Sink

Postby BeerPal » Sun Feb 25, 2007 5:26 pm

My tale of woe (or stupidity, you pick):

I have long wanted a utility sink in my brewery/garage/laundry/place-that-never-seems-to-stop-acquiring-junk. I bought a sink and all the goodies I thought I'd need to plumb it. After a day of dicking around with the drain aspect of it, I think I got that part solved. Here's where I'm stuck. I figured I could share the water supply that the washing machine uses. To that end, I bought a couple brass, garden hose thread "Y" valves and split the hot and cold supply coming out of the wall. I also bought a set of washing machine supply lines and two 3/4"-1/2" adapters so that I could attach the supply lines to the faucet shanks on the sink.

Well, of course the adapters leak like crazy where they mount on the plastic shanks and no amount of Teflon tape seems stop it. I am hoping I don't have to hard-pipe the supply. Anybody got a suggestion on how to best connect my garden hose thread valves to my 1/2" NPT (I assume) faucet shanks? Thanks.
"Make beer not war"

Currently fermenting: Nothing
Conditioning: Firestone Walker Pale 31 clone
On draught: Nothing

Watch episodes of BYOB TV: http://www.kofytv.com/byob-tv/archive/
BeerPal
Addict (5000 posts)

Postby BeerPal » Sun Feb 25, 2007 6:19 pm

majorvices wrote:See if this link will help: http://tinyurl.com/387pl8

Thanks. I looked but the tips provided are way too general in nature. No help, I'm afraid.
"Make beer not war"

BeerPal
Addict (5000 posts)

Postby cooldaddybeck » Sun Feb 25, 2007 7:31 pm

Strike up a deal with one of the plumbers who post here, I know there are a couple that probably know what they are doing and may be willing to help out a fellow brewer.
Water, Grain, Hops, Yeast: combine, age, consume.

"You remind me of that scene from Zoolander....the one where the male models are dancing while spraying each other with gasoline..."
~SWMBO

"If there is anything that this horrible tragedy can teach us, it's that a male model's life is a precious, precious commodity. Just because we have chiseled abs and stunning features, it doesn't mean that we too can't not die in a freak gasoline fight accident. " ~Derek Zoolander
cooldaddybeck
Micro Brewery (2500 posts)

Postby BeerPal » Sun Feb 25, 2007 9:11 pm

majorvices wrote:[Heh heh, it was a bad attempt at a joke (findaplumber.com) - but plumbing can be rather difficult. The last time I messed with it I just ended up breaking pipes. A plumber is expensive but worth it, IMO. Then again - I'm a dumb ass.

That crossed my mind, that it was a joke, when I went to the site, cause it was a pretty useless resource. :P

Anyway, if I have to, I'll do some actual plumbing on this thing myself. I'm just hoping someone will say, "You just get a franistan hose with the quandulator adapter fittings and you'll be good to go" or some such. If I could find an adapter for a 3/4" garden hose to whatever the supply end of a bathroom faucet supply line is, I'd be all set.
"Make beer not war"

BeerPal
Addict (5000 posts)

Postby Beach Brewer » Sun Feb 25, 2007 10:03 pm

I'm doing the exact same thing as you're doing sometime this week. I haven't looked for the proper water supply hoses and parts yet so I'm going to be in the same boat as you. I guess I just figured someone had to have made all the parts necessary to connect a split T off a washing machine water supply and connect it to a sink. We can't be the first ones to do this. Anyway, I'll be making a trip to the hardware store tomorrow and hopefully can get this thing figured out. Let me know if you find the solution please.
-Bryan
Batches Brewed: 100

"..and I will make it felony to drink small beer." --Shakespeare's Henry VI
Beach Brewer

Postby BeerPal » Sun Feb 25, 2007 10:23 pm

Beach Brewer wrote:We can't be the first ones to do this.

You'd think. If there's a ready-made hose setup for this, I have yet to see it.
"Make beer not war"

BeerPal
Addict (5000 posts)

Postby Triple Freak » Mon Feb 26, 2007 7:32 am

The reason your fittings are leaking is because you're not supposed to use teflon tape on plastic fittings. You're supposed to use pipe dope.
Take off all the teflon tape, spread a liberal amount of pipe dope on the threads, then reassemble the fittings.
Triple Freak

Postby Eagle Creek Brewer » Mon Feb 26, 2007 8:25 am

You might check that the shanks for your sink are actually NPT. They may be a straight thread and require a washered fitting. Remember NPT is tapered not straight, they may fit together but they will never seal. So, if your adapter is pipe to garden hose, and your sink is straight thread, you will not keep it from leaking. Something to look into though as some sinks are straight thread and some are pipe
Good Luck
Barry
Eagle Creek Brewer
Pitcher (300 posts)

Postby BeerPal » Mon Feb 26, 2007 9:01 am

fossilsrocks wrote:I plumbed another washer hose type connection valve into my garage for my utility sink. I drain the water into a floor drain in my utility room. It wasn't very hard or expensive, and I can disconnect & move the whole thing pretty quickly & easily.

But how are you connecting the hose valve to the faucets?
"Make beer not war"

BeerPal
Addict (5000 posts)

Postby Beach Brewer » Mon Feb 26, 2007 9:39 am

I just solved my issue after making 2 trips to the hardware store.

What I did was use a T valve to split the hot and cold washing machine water coming from the wall. From there I used a washing machine hose (the one with 2 female ends) and connected it to the T valve. From that hose I used a Watts brass hose adapter (Home Depot has them: Part A-663) 3/4''MH x 1/2'' MIP. I connected the 3/4'' end of the adapter to the washing machine hose and the other 1/2'' end to a water supply line. The water supply line is 1/2'' FIP on one end and 1/2'' FIP on the other. The water supply line screws right into my faucet shanks. No leaks, no issues.

It may not solve your problem if your faucet shanks are different sizes but it solved mine. Hope it helps. :)
-Bryan
Batches Brewed: 100

"..and I will make it felony to drink small beer." --Shakespeare's Henry VI
Beach Brewer

Postby MullerBrau » Mon Feb 26, 2007 9:50 am

This is how mine are plumbed up and they work fine. The supply lines for the laundry tub are compression fittings and don't require any sealant but they do need either a copper or plastic ring around the tube which the compression nut will tighten into the fitting and around the tube. The washing machine hoses are connected to standard sill cocks.

MullerBrau
Barrel (1000 posts)

Postby Monster Mash » Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:42 am

I did mine the same way, I cut the copper and sweated in a tee. I used copper to run to my sink though, I have a fear of hoses bursting in my sleep....
Monster Mash
Post Whore (10000 posts)

Next

Return to Off Topic Stuff