Brewers Code

If you want to talk about something not related to one of the topics above, then you post it here. Still, no selling stuff, no political rants, no arguing about all the stupid stuff in the world. This is an auto-pruned forum, so topics that are not posted to frequently will automatically drop off.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Brewers Code

Postby JP » Mon Jan 21, 2008 2:49 pm

Yes I am ripping this off of the Bn site, but I don't care. I think it is time we had our own rules of conduct here. While many of them translate between forums, it's good for us to be reminded of the fact that we are all homebrewers and should be wary of line-crossing.

Feel free to add things here as you see fit and talk about them.
Cheers!
JP
JP

Postby JP » Mon Jan 21, 2008 2:51 pm

Brewers Code #1 - Don't be a jerk.

Text does not have the same meaning as verbal words do. Realize that when typing to people. If you are just kidding and giving someone a hard time, with respect, pop a smiley face in there. If you are really being sarcastic, don't post.
Cheers!
JP
JP

Postby Triple Freak » Mon Jan 21, 2008 2:58 pm

Since this forum started I always said politics, religion, and personal attacks were off limits. No exceptions. Ever.
Triple Freak

Postby BrewBum » Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:00 pm

Thou shall help fellow brewers as much as possible.
Thou shalt not habor secret ingrediants, for ye must divulge all of thine
techniques to thy brethren.
Thou shalt not quaff any beer that thou is too drunk to appreciate.
thou shall not photoshop/insult/joke/ about a brewers wife or family member
Give honest but polite feedback to other homebrewers, but be more gentle on the wide-eyed noob's first batch.
Be helpful without condescention. Remember at some point you didn't know that answer either.

I am pulling a few together here... stay tuned.
Nate
Guess what... I got a fever and the only prescription... is more cowbell!
http://www.Nebraskabeerblog.com
BrewBum

Postby Mark » Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:02 pm

#2 - If you think what you're typing would lead to you picking up your chicklets in person don't type it. There are a lot of people that are very brave from behind their keyboard. You never know where you might run into someone you've pissed off in a forum with personal attacks. I'd hate to see someone carried out on a stretcher at NHC because they ran into someone they insulted online and found out they were HUGE in person.
Mark
Mark

Postby BrewBum » Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:04 pm

Remember that there is more than one way to do most brewing tasks, and most of them work just fine even if it's not your favorite way.
Nate
Guess what... I got a fever and the only prescription... is more cowbell!
http://www.Nebraskabeerblog.com
BrewBum

Postby majorvices » Mon Jan 21, 2008 4:07 pm

Why would you spill your chicklets? Keep them in the box and keep the lid closed.
Prost! - Keith
majorvices
Addict (5000 posts)

Postby MuddyMikes » Mon Jan 21, 2008 4:23 pm

One should not talk down to a Fellow Homebrewer who may use a different Grain mill, Brew Sculpture, CFC, and so forth.
Wine is but
single broth.
Ale is meat,
drink and cloth.

16th Century English Proverb
MuddyMikes
Micro Brewery (2500 posts)

Postby maybock » Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:04 pm

Don't post under the influence! ( I am guilty in that regard...... :? )
" I want you to get up now... I want all of you to get up out of your chairs...I want you to get up right now, go to the window, open it, and stick your head out and yell: " I'm as mad as hell, and I am not going to take this anymore!" ".
maybock

Postby WingStall » Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:53 pm

I think that this all boils down to: DON'T BE A DICK!!! (of which I am often guilty.)
Cheers, Andy
WingStall

Postby Beer4Guy » Tue Jan 22, 2008 7:12 am

I would say just to lighten up and have fun with this hobby that we all share. Don't take anything personal on these boards. It's like being cut off by another driver on the road, it's not personal. And why get yourself all worked up because you come across another idiot. The world is full of them. You can always control how you react to it.

I thought Nate did a great job of just that while he was debating with some dude on another thread. How one reacts in those situations is always more important in the long run than who is right or wrong.

Zenmaster
Beer4Guy
Barrel (1000 posts)

Postby TampaBrew » Tue Jan 22, 2008 7:15 am

Don't dump a batch unless you are 1000% sure it's ruined ... and then maybe still not.

(i have read about a few dumping in the last week ... so sad)
TampaBrew
Barrel (1000 posts)

Postby baltobrewer » Wed Jan 23, 2008 2:34 pm

Thou shalt warn any brewer that you see doing stupid $hit that may end up harming them, and/or offering help or suggestions on other ways to do it. (ie lifting full coolers of hot water to the tops of refrigerators to sparge with, putting full kegs of wort on burners too flimsy to support them, etc...) Don't want any Darwin Awards handed out among the flock.....
Jay
___

Lime cat thinks you suck
___

ON TAP:
Dunkelweizen
Hard Cider
Kolsch

FERMENTING:
Kolsch
baltobrewer
Barrel (1000 posts)

Postby JP » Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:26 pm

Don't threaten a fellow brewer (unless it is with bad beer) over the forum. we are all 800 pound Gorillas at the keyboard. Have respect for each person here, regardless of what they may have said or done.
Cheers!
JP
JP

Postby BeerBiker » Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:30 pm

JP wrote:Don't threaten a fellow brewer (unless it is with bad beer) over the forum. we are all 800 pound Gorillas at the keyboard. Have respect for each person here, regardless of what they may have said or done.

And remember; everybody is entitled to their opinion, no matter how wrong they may be.

Mark
Me like beer.
BeerBiker
Addict (5000 posts)

Next

Return to Off Topic Stuff