Scotch - need suggestions

If you want to talk about something not related to one of the topics above, then you post it here. Still, no selling stuff, no political rants, no arguing about all the stupid stuff in the world. This is an auto-pruned forum, so topics that are not posted to frequently will automatically drop off.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Scotch - need suggestions

Postby tookalisten » Sat Apr 04, 2015 5:21 am

Well, my daughter's boyfriend popped the question last week and they are getting married.

Good news is that I really like this young man and they are both out of school, started their careers, and in their late 20s. So, certainly both are old enough and have been together for several years to take this next step.

Anyway, in planning the various festivities, we are having his parents/grandparents over in a few weeks.

I asked him what his parent's favorite beer/wine/liquor so that I could have some on hand.

He said his Granddad only drinks Scotch. I have absolutely zero knowledge of Scotch.
Need suggestions of brand(s), glass used, presentation/preparation, etc.

What say you forum friends?
Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
~Robert Brault

Primary:
Kegged: Brown Ale, IPA, Porter, Sweet Stout, IPA
tookalisten
Micro Brewery (2500 posts)

Re: Scotch - need suggestions

Postby Brewtime » Sat Apr 04, 2015 7:22 am

Scotch has such a broad taste spectrum you can treat it kind of like bourbon with how to present it with the same type of glassware. I will respond later when I get home tomorrow and I don't have to type a response on my iPhone
Drew

Work Hard, Rock Hard, Eat Hard, Sleep Hard, Grow Big, Wear Glasses if you need 'em "Web Wilder"
Brewtime
Addict (5000 posts)

Postby tookalisten » Sat Apr 04, 2015 7:49 pm

Thanks - appreciate the feedback when you get time.

I picked up a bottle of Glenmorangie Single Highland Malt Scotch Whisky.
Gave it a try this eve while watching the NCAA Tourney - it is a lot smoother than i was expecting. I see the fascination.
Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
~Robert Brault

Primary:
tookalisten

Postby thetooth » Wed Apr 08, 2015 2:22 pm

It's hard to recommend anything beyond that without knowing what kind of scotch he likes. Does he always mix it with something, in which case any blended scotch will do. There really is a wide variety of single-malt scotches out there, depending on taste. From smoky to peaty to various barrels for aging.

All that said, I think any single-malt like the one you bought should be fine. It may not be his favorite, but he should be happy to drink it. If not, he's an annoying bastard and should be sent outside while the adults talk. LOL

Congratulations on the new family member, by the way!
thetooth

Postby tookalisten » Wed Apr 08, 2015 3:57 pm

thanks!
I kind of feel the same way - I made a decent effort; so I suspect he will be happy.

Now that I have been reading up a little on all the types out there, I am more intrigued myself. Never been much of a spirit drinker; except for the occasional tequila shot in my younger days. I liked this more than I thought I would. Though I do not see this taking over my quest for the next beer recipe.
~Robert Brault

Primary:
tookalisten

Postby thetooth » Wed Apr 08, 2015 4:02 pm

Scotch is pretty much my spirit of choice. It doesn't replace beer, but it's a nice alternate drink option. :)
thetooth

Postby Brewtime » Thu Apr 09, 2015 5:53 am

thetooth wrote:Scotch is pretty much my spirit of choice. It doesn't replace beer, but it's a nice alternate drink option. :)

I do like scotch but my sprit of choice is bourbon.
Drew

Work Hard, Rock Hard, Eat Hard, Sleep Hard, Grow Big, Wear Glasses if you need 'em "Web Wilder"
Brewtime
Addict (5000 posts)

Postby Grzyby15 » Thu May 14, 2015 3:47 am

Scotch is great but the best alcohol in my opinion is cognac (especially Hennessey)
Grzyby15
Taster Glass (2 posts)

Postby maybock » Mon May 25, 2015 8:08 pm

Aberlour 12 would be a good choice, and it's easily available. Now if you want to find him something a little more special, get the 18 year old Aberlour. You cannot go wrong.
" I want you to get up now... I want all of you to get up out of your chairs...I want you to get up right now, go to the window, open it, and stick your head out and yell: " I'm as mad as hell, and I am not going to take this anymore!" ".
maybock

Postby tookalisten » Tue May 26, 2015 5:05 pm

He liked the Glenmorangie; actually he drank about half the bottle so he must have liked it... :P
~Robert Brault

Primary:
tookalisten

Return to Off Topic Stuff