question about ginger beer - cold crash?

Discussions about packaging and dispensing beer. Anything from kegging and draft equipment to questions about bottling.

Moderator: Moderator Team

question about ginger beer - cold crash?

Postby tomaszek@ummhc.org » Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:27 pm

So to be short. I made a sorghum gluten free beer 10 days ago . O check og and was 1.045 I guess about right/. I took a reading today but was only 1.035. primary fermentation is done, nice yeast cake. Some continous small bubbles rising, so still working a little. But i have a competition i wanted to toss it in. I think it's cloudy b/c of the 2 cups of chopped ginger root I added to teh fermenter after the boil. SO i need to bottle tommorrow. and then it will have sat 7 days before they judge. SO i can cold crash overnight and bottle tommorrow and hope its clearer. or let it sit at 66 ambient and bottle tommorrow. I took a 5 ml sample off and let it sit. Within an hour a decent amount of stuff (ginger? yeast?) settled out at room temp.

SO do i cold crash, and if so will enough yeast carry into the bottles with a coopers drop for carb?

or do i just let it go and i think they be a layer on the bottom that will be more than a carbonation layer within the bottle. The rest i will let go for another week and keg. It was godd last year i just never bottled it, so it all crashed out clear in teh keg anyway,

FYI- S05 used, 6 lbs sorguhm and 1lb honey. fermented at ~66 on carboy reading
any suggestions is appreciated.

Ill take another fG on the settled out clear upper layer, maybe the refraometer is reading the debris?

thnaks
keith
tomaszek@ummhc.org
Taster Glass (2 posts)

Re: question about ginger beer - cold crash?

Postby Maineac » Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:21 am

Did you measure the FG with the refractometer?
If so, refractometer readings are not accurate after there is alcohol present.
Try using the calculator at www.seanterrill.com.
"The more you read about this Politics thing, you got to admit that each party is worse than the other. The one that's out always looks the best." Will Rogers
Maineac
Corny Keg (500 posts)

Return to Kegging, Bottling and Dispensing