CO2 tanks same standard/threading as in Japan?

Discussions about packaging and dispensing beer. Anything from kegging and draft equipment to questions about bottling.

Moderator: Moderator Team

CO2 tanks same standard/threading as in Japan?

Postby paszekj » Sat Apr 22, 2006 4:20 am

OK, I realize this is a long shot, but here goes... I live in Okinawa, Japan and have one year left here. I was planning to wait until I moved back to the states to start kegging, but I'm sick of bottling. I have a 4-pack of corny kegs on the way from B3, now I just need to purchase a reg and find a source of CO2. I was wondering if anyone lives/has lived in Japan and set up a kegging system. If I purchase a reg from the states, will it be compatible with a CO2 tank here? Or, if I get a tank and reg from the states, is it possible to get it filled here? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Also, if anyone knows how to say "I'd like to rent a CO2 tank" in Japanese, I'd be really impressed.
paszekj
Liter Mug (100 posts)

Re: CO2 tanks same standard/threading as in Japan?

Postby usmcruz » Sat Apr 22, 2006 8:43 am

Im a 28 year old prior Marine that was stationed on the rock. What base are you at?. Im not too far from you, Im here on guam. My wife is in the Navy thats why im here. As for the co2, I got mine filled at the fire station while I was there. I forgot what base though, Camp hansen, camp shwaab, but I think it was Kadena. That was back in 2000, so i dont know if they still do it. I belive the tanks there are the same there. Hell my tank now say's made in japan :shock: . If they wont do it at the fire station, go out in town and ask them where they get there co2. Thats how I got mine filled for 4 months before i found out the fire station did it. Hope this helps, Semper Fi
"If you want peace, be prepared for war"
usmcruz
Addict (5000 posts)

Re: CO2 tanks same standard/threading as in Japan?

Postby just-cj » Sat Apr 22, 2006 5:06 pm

paszekj wrote:If I purchase a reg from the states, will it be compatible with a CO2 tank here?
No, the threads on the CO2 tanks are different and the US regulator won't fit.
Or, if I get a tank and reg from the states, is it possible to get it filled here?
Again No, the gas companies here will not touch a tank from the States. Japanese regulations are different and any tank that didn't start out under the Japanese regulations isn't accepted.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Also, if anyone knows how to say "I'd like to rent a CO2 tank" in Japanese, I'd be really impressed.
Cheapest solution is to go to a local liquor store and ask for a CO2 tank -- it should be about Y5000 for deposit and Y2000 for a fill (5-kg tank). Although my Japanese is pitiful even after many years here, I can usually get the shop to understand by saying something like, "Tansan gasu bombe no rentaru dekimasuka?" which literally means "Carbonation gas tank rental can you do?" They should also rent regulators (sometimes they understand the English word, but sign language works well for that one ;) ) for an additional Y5000 or so. When you take the tank and regulator back, you get your Y5000 each back as well -- or you can pass them on to another homebrewer when you leave.

One thing worth mentioning is that the tubing you'll need is very narrow (see pic below) -- one end just slides into a hole on the bottom of the regulator, where it gets locked in (there's a retaining ring that you have put pull up to release the hose), and the other end will barely squeeze onto a barbed quick disconnect, like this one:

To get the tubing onto the barb, you'll have to heat it with boiling water and then twist and turn and jam it on. Once you get it on, it ain't coming off! So make sure you get it right the first time. And once it's on, there's no need for a clamp or anything, so don't worry about that.

You should be able to get the tubing at a large Home Center or DIY store or any of those places that have supplies for those do-it-yourself types. It's not always red like in the first picture below -- sometimes it's a kind of translucent green like in the second picture or maybe even black. I'm pretty sure that any tubing that will fit in the regulator is CO2-safe, but the best way would be to take the regulator to the store and ask for tubing/hose that fits (I think the word "hosu" will do the trick).

You can see the regulator and tubing here.

Here's the tank next to a 5-gal corny (behind) and 3-gallon cornies (to the side) to give you and idea of size.

Hope that helps.
just-cj
Corny Keg (500 posts)

Postby paszekj » Tue Apr 25, 2006 8:46 pm

Hey guys, thanks for the great advice.
USMCRUZ,
I'm at Camp Lester (hospital), right between Foster and Kadena. The fire station is a great idea. I live less that a mile from the Foster Fire Station. I think I'll have to wander by there with a couple bottles of homebrew and see if they can help me out. I wouldn't be surprised if the base fire stations use the US standard for threading and fittings. If that fails, I did find a place over the weekend that supplies compressed gas tanks. Thanks to CJ, I now know how to ask to rent a tank.

CJ,
I'll definitely go the liquor store route if plan "A" doesn't work. I didn't realize how westernized Okinawa was until I went to Tokyo. I'm sure I can find a place to rent a tank around here. Are you anywhere near Tokyo? Maybe we can get together for a beer next time I'm in town. Thanks for all the pointers.
paszekj
Liter Mug (100 posts)

Postby just-cj » Tue Apr 25, 2006 8:59 pm

Yeah, I'm more or less just outside Tokyo on the east side, toward Narita Airport. Please let me know if you make a trip to Tokyo -- I'm always up for a couple beers with a fellow homebrewer. 8)
just-cj
Corny Keg (500 posts)

Postby usmcruz » Wed Apr 26, 2006 12:09 am

I miss okinawa, Im thinking of taking a trip out there for about 2 weeks one of these days seeing how its only a couple hours away. Im sure i could catch a mac flight.
"If you want peace, be prepared for war"
usmcruz
Addict (5000 posts)

Return to Kegging, Bottling and Dispensing