Capping a growler

Discussions about packaging and dispensing beer. Anything from kegging and draft equipment to questions about bottling.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Capping a growler

Postby Cabin Joe » Fri Jan 09, 2009 11:02 am

Anyone ever bottle into a growler then cap it with a screw cap?

Been wanting to have a portable way to bring beer to friends' houses and I have a growler from Saugatuck Brewery. It came with a screw on cap and if I remember right (at work now), it has a small bead of white sealing material around the inside surface.

Think this would hold carbonation? I may just fill it from the keg with a dip tube and cap it right away if I can't bottle straight to it.

Cheers,
Joe
Cabin Joe
Pitcher (300 posts)

Re: Capping a growler

Postby bewm » Fri Jan 09, 2009 11:39 am

Cabin Joe wrote:Think this would hold carbonation? I may just fill it from the keg with a dip tube and cap it right away if I can't bottle straight to it.
I've yet to transfer from a keg into a growler, but bars do it all the time without problem (my local brewery flushes them with CO2 first which helps them keep even longer).

I have bottled/primed into a screwtop (and swingtop) growlers before without problem. Just don't overprime and you'll be fine; as long as the cap has a good seal, it'll hold pressure.
bewm: A word used many, many times in the "Music" album by the band 311.
bewm
Corny Keg (500 posts)

Postby SMITHENHALS » Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:03 pm

I fill growlers from my kegs a lot to bring to friends. Just turn the pressure on the co2 regulator down to about 2 psi, pull the pressure relief on the keg, then fill the growler using a bottling wand stuck into the end of a tap. Screw the lid on tight and take it where ever you want. I wouldn’t try to bottle in a growler for long term storage, or use sugar to bottle condition in a growler. I don’t think the little screw caps would hold the pressure, and if the cap did hold every time you poured from it you will stir up the yeast cake at the bottom.
On Tap- Pumpkin Spice Ale, Kristie's Very Merry Cherry, India Red Ale, Southern English Brown, Joes Ancient Orange Mead
Primary-
Secondary-
On Deck- Hefe, Dry Stout
SMITHENHALS
Barrel (1000 posts)

Postby brewerjeff » Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:09 pm

I bottle into growlers all the time. If you are just transporting(dispensing from keg to growler), then the cheap white caps are fine. If you are priming and bottling from fermentation, I strongly recommend the black Polyseal caps. They are pretty much bombproof, and I have had great success with them. The white caps are prone to leaking and/or releasing CO2, resulting in flat beer at best, a mess at worst.

I have a bunch of growlers from John Harvard's and Pilgrim Brewery, and I use them all the time. They are great. I use the white caps to cover them between uses, not for storing beer.

One note to comment: I have had a few people tell me that you should not bottle homebrew directly to growlers because they are not meant to handle the pressure of carbonating beer. They are designed to hold pre-carbonated commercial beer. I have never had a problem, and have never had a growler explode on me. However, if you are priming and bottling into growlers(1/2 or full gallon) you only need to use 1/2-2/3 as much priming sugar.

I have aged beer over a year in growlers without leakage.
On Tap: Altbier, Hop Mothra
Aging: Tripel, American IPA
Secondary: Nada
Primary: Ginger Wheat - Summer's Paradise
On Deck: Bock, Kolsch, Altbier, Oatmeal Stout, all-grain Left Coast big batch
brewerjeff
Pitcher (300 posts)

Postby Triple Freak » Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:53 pm

Real growlers don't have screw caps. Know that.
Triple Freak

Postby krizwit » Fri Jan 09, 2009 4:09 pm

I just pour straight from my faucet into the growler... It is easy and works great. I was surprised to see how little the CO2 escapes even when I dont drink the beer in the growler for a week or so. Make sure you keep the growler(s) cold. If you dont then the CO2 will escape out of solution and then it will be more likely to leak out of the growler...

Instead of bringing my kegs down for the holidays, I just fill up 7 growlers and drink one a day....
krizwit
Barrel (1000 posts)

Postby Cabin Joe » Fri Jan 09, 2009 4:21 pm

Thanks guys - excellent feedback. Think I'm all set :mrgreen:
Cabin Joe
Pitcher (300 posts)

Postby MikeSpike » Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:24 am

Some people have good luck with racking off into growlers. Some have bad luck. I stopped relying on luck. Now I use fizz giz growler caps. Video demo at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62wsqUQY6gM

You can substitute 2 or 3-liter PET soda bottle for growler & use 28mm fizz giz soda bottle caps. I've never seen a PET bottle fail under common beer carbonation levels. I've heard of growler failures. Although I've never seen one, I took it upon myself to do some hydrostatic pressure testing on glass growlers 2C if they were fragile. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3IqU002ai9c proved to me quite the opposite.

Growler filling practise that I always follow religulously: 1)cap on foam 2)use fizz giz growler cap 3)hit it with a healthy shot of co2 injected right through the bottle cap to replace any co2 lost during transfer (racking/tapping/pouring - whatever).
MikeSpike
Taster Glass (2 posts)

Postby Herrybraun » Mon Mar 14, 2016 11:37 pm

I have not all the bad time into growlers. I like some video link shared in this discussion.
Herrybraun
Empty Glass (<2 posts)

Return to Kegging, Bottling and Dispensing