Hefeweizen kegging question: how to keep yeast in suspension

Discussions about packaging and dispensing beer. Anything from kegging and draft equipment to questions about bottling.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Hefeweizen kegging question: how to keep yeast in suspension

Postby swells » Sat Aug 01, 2009 3:26 pm

Hi all
I am on my third batch of hefeweizen and am fighting a persistent problem: after initial force carbonation the beers pour beautifully cloudy but after 2-3 weeks they start getting progressively clearer. Flavor stays nice but I would love to find a way (without pawing through the kegerator to shake the keg every time) to keep the yeast in suspension. Any ideas?

All three batches have been extract based +/- some small partial mash additions for flavor/body. Each one has used a different yeast (first Wyeast Hefe, second was White labs Hefe WLP300, last batch WLP380). All have been force carbonated and are kept at ~40deg.

I figure there must be a way to keep the damn yeast in suspension because I keep seeing commercial draft Hefes that are pouring nice and cloudy and I would imagine the bartender isn't going back and shaking the damn thing up every night...

Any suggestions?
thanks!
swells
Taster Glass (2 posts)

Re: Hefeweizen kegging question: how to keep yeast in suspension

Postby WingStall » Sat Aug 01, 2009 3:53 pm

Drink it faster.

OR: attach a beer-out fitting to your CO2 line, relieve the pressure from your keg, attach the CO2 to your beer-out post to rouse the yeast off the bottom by bubbling gas through the dip tube.

I have the same issue with my commercial kegs. I turn them upside-down/rightside-up every 48 hours to make sure that they pour cloudy upon delivery. The reason mine pour cloudy at bars/restaurants is they only last a couple days. 8)

If you want to cheat, an old trick is to throw a small amount of flour into your boil. It is not flavor active, and will keep your beer hazy.
Cheers, Andy
WingStall
Micro Brewery (2500 posts)

Postby swells » Sat Aug 01, 2009 4:35 pm

thanks for the tip- all great ideas (especially the first one). I am working on emptying the keg (into my belly) as we speak!

The Co2 into beer-out seems like a neat idea but is just as cumbersome as opening the kegerator and rocking the keg-

For now I have been cheating- I collected a glass of the super-thick yeasty first pour from the keg and have been keeping it in the fridge. I just shake that up and add a little into the glass before I pour a new beer and it seems to work very nicely (kind of like rocking the bottle before you pour one).

Anyone out there actually tried the flour addition? seems like it would produce a glompy mess in the boil unless you used just a minute amount.

Thanks again for the input
-sean
swells
Taster Glass (2 posts)

Postby P-J » Sat Aug 01, 2009 8:50 pm

WingStall's idea of carb charging through the beer out is a good one. A suggestion on that: Dedicate a keg to the Hefe mission and install a second beer out dip tube in it for the gas in. This way, every pour will stir up the keg as co2 is added. BTW, you had better make sure that you have a check valve on the co2 line.
P-J
P-J
Pitcher (300 posts)

Postby Liquid Bread » Mon Aug 03, 2009 1:55 pm

swells wrote:Anyone out there actually tried the flour addition? seems like it would produce a glompy mess in the boil unless you used just a minute amount.

Thanks again for the input
-sean

Dissolve it in cold water first and then add it to the boil. Just like making gravy.

I don't do this. Instead, I do a step mash and draw off about a pint of wort when the mash is between 100-115 degrees. I boil that to set the starch and then mix it back into the mash before raising the temperature to the 150-160 range.
Adrian Avgerinos
Homebrew Newbie
Liquid Bread
Keg (750 posts)

Postby thetooth » Mon Aug 03, 2009 4:15 pm

I just call it hefeweizen until it clears... then I call it Kristallweizen http://www.germanbeerguide.co.uk/kristall.html

No shaking necessary... and it's like 2 beers for the effort of brewing 1. :lol:
thetooth
Micro Brewery (2500 posts)

Postby PaulK » Sat Aug 15, 2009 9:03 pm

This is NOT a wit. Throwing flour into the boil is just an all around bad idea. Tip the keg end over end periodically. Many commercial hefeweizen producers suggest that their accounts do this.
PaulK
6 Pack (200 posts)

Postby joechinon » Mon Aug 17, 2009 2:19 pm

I add flour to my hefes, a couple of tablespoons for 10 gallons, and it helps, but by the time the second keg is gone so is the haze. I just sprinkle it directly into the kettle about 5 minutes before flameout.
On Tap:Flanders Red, Porter,Belgian Ball Buster,ESB,Sticke Alt,Rye Pale,Apple Rauchbier,Saison
Primary:BoneDry
Lagering/conditioning: Apple Rauchbier,,Vanilla Bourbon Porter,Brett saison,Pecan Rauchbier
Bottled:Crabapple cider,Cherry Brett,Prickly Pear Mead,Black Braggot,Sour Pumpkin
On deck:Wheat IPA
joechinon
Barrel (1000 posts)

Return to Kegging, Bottling and Dispensing