Reuse Freezer Parts

Discussions about packaging and dispensing beer. Anything from kegging and draft equipment to questions about bottling.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Reuse Freezer Parts

Postby SDBrewMagic » Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:50 pm

Hello,

I recently destroyed a brand new freezer due to strong winds and want to use the parts that still work in a kegerator. I have welded my frames and ready to take components out of freezer.

I am wondering, can I cut the coil, and shorten it, that wraps around the shell of the freezer and then solder it back together and recharge the system? I need to reroute the coil in order for it to work in the space I have and the only way to do that is cut it and possible shorten if that is an option.

SDBrewMagic
Empty Glass (<2 posts)

Re: Reuse Freezer Parts

Postby pclemon » Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:08 am

I wouldn't want to say don't do it. Anything is possible.... and someone may correct me here but I believe the coils would need to be brazed, not soldered due to the high pressure they are under. You would also, obviously, want to be extremely careful not to kink any of the coils while you're bending them. You'll also need to contract with a refrigeration company to dis-charge and re-charge the system. I suspect by the time you're done with all the effort & cost involved in that, there are many other more simple and less costly solutions that would be available to you.
Pete
pclemon
Micro Brewery (2500 posts)

Postby speed » Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:39 am

Is this a chest freezer? Most of them have the lines in the walls with expandable foam squirted in.
What will be will be.
Jane Hodges
speed
Barrel (1000 posts)

Postby MTodd493 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:02 pm

First: It is illegal to blow refrigerant into the atmosphere. You should really contact a qualified refrigeration company to reclaim the refrigerant.
Second: As far as modifying the refrigeration coils, the system is built for a specific refrigeration load. If you shorten the coils, you will through everything out of balance and probably destroy the compressor.
Third: On putting the system back together, it does need to be brazed. It also needs to be evacuated and a specific amount of refrigerant put back in for the system to operate even half way correctly.
Forth: The amount of money that you are going to have in this project is going to be way more than if you just went to Walmart and bought on of those small apartment refrigerators and modified it.
MTodd493
Taster Glass (2 posts)

Postby billgate123 » Tue Mar 24, 2015 4:00 am

It also needs to be evacuated and a specific amount of refrigerant put back in for the system to operate even half way correctly.
Get fast success in test-king ccna and questions by using our latest exam test-king toefl test We also offer up-to-date learn-portuguese-now and answers for your prep of surfacelanguages
billgate123
Empty Glass (<2 posts)

Postby BrewinMoe » Thu May 14, 2015 1:48 pm

billgate123 wrote:It also needs to be evacuated and a specific amount of refrigerant put back in for the system to operate even half way correctly.

Yeah he's right to a degree. I personaly did a job like this of which Im still using the unit I cobbled together! I salvaged the works tray,Condencer . condencer fan. and compressor, from an old junked 19CF side by side. I then pulled the evaporator coil out as a seperate unit to. and ugh that old R12 that was in the system well who knows where that ended up. ANYWAYS, I built a cabinet to my own spec's roughly equal to the 19CF space, enough to hold two 15.5 kegs reinstalled the stuff and had an ac buddy come over soldered it in and charged the system up with the newer 412 automotive gas. Its worked like a champ for over four years now. I even hooked in a defrost timer and element. Ooooo look out you DIY guys! So to answer your question, YES you can do what your talking about but disassembly of a chest freezer is like removing gum from your hair. Its more work than you may imagine. Concider old used appliance places. I did,and my project worked.
Moe
BrewinMoe
Taster Glass (2 posts)

Postby BrewinMoe » Tue May 26, 2015 9:06 am

BrewinMoe wrote:
billgate123 wrote:It also needs to be evacuated and a specific amount of refrigerant put back in for the system to operate even half way correctly.

Yeah he's right to a degree. I personaly did a job like this of which Im still using the unit I cobbled together! I salvaged the works tray,Condencer . condencer fan. and compressor, from an old junked 19CF side by side. I then pulled the evaporator coil out as a seperate unit to. and ugh that old R12 that was in the system well who knows where that ended up. ANYWAYS, I built a cabinet to my own spec's roughly equal to the 19CF space, enough to hold two 15.5 kegs reinstalled the stuff and had an ac buddy come over soldered it in and charged the system up with the newer 412 automotive gas. Its worked like a champ for over four years now. I even hooked in a defrost timer and element. Ooooo look out you DIY guys! So to answer your question, YES you can do what your talking about but disassembly of a chest freezer is like removing gum from your hair. Its more work than you may imagine. Concider old used appliance places. I did,and my project worked.
Moe

Geepers, I was expecting a lot more responce ......I felt my homemade mega keggerator was the bombdiggidy. In addition to building my own fridge from old spare parts which I thought would blow the minds of all my peers which is freakin hugh, AND it is set up to accomodate both homebrew kegs as well as TWO commercial sanke's with seperate regulators for each. But if the snappy ceramic two tap Carlsberg tower doesn't wow them mounted upon a tile countertop then the dirt cheap pricetag of start to finish of under $600.00 should! Perhaps I'll post a pic or four of my little centerpiece. :D
BrewinMoe
Taster Glass (2 posts)

Postby BrewBum » Tue May 26, 2015 9:12 am

you responded to a ancient thread, no one is following this anymore.
Nate
Guess what... I got a fever and the only prescription... is more cowbell!
http://www.Nebraskabeerblog.com
BrewBum

Postby Brewtime » Tue May 26, 2015 10:29 am

BrewBum wrote:you responded to a ancient thread, no one is following this anymore.

except us moderators :P
Drew

Work Hard, Rock Hard, Eat Hard, Sleep Hard, Grow Big, Wear Glasses if you need 'em "Web Wilder"
Brewtime
Addict (5000 posts)

Return to Kegging, Bottling and Dispensing