Why is this happening to me?

Discussions about packaging and dispensing beer. Anything from kegging and draft equipment to questions about bottling.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Why is this happening to me?

Postby djonesax » Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:00 pm

I keep getting foamy beer in this fresh keg of Yeungling and I have been going crazy trying to figure this out. Look at these pictures and please tell me why this is happening! I have tried lots of different pressure and temperature settings but keep getting bubbles in my lines resulting in foamy beer even after 4 days from tapping. If I turn the pressure up to about 18 PSI I get no bubbles in the lines but foamy been due to pressure. If I turn it down to 8-12 PSI, I get air in the lines and foam from that. As far as I can tell everything is tight but if it weren't, beer would be spewing out and not sucking air in. Also I have about 7-8 feet of 3/16 ID Beer Line and the regulator is currently set at 10PSI.

Please help :-)

David
-There is no BAD beer. There is only BETTER beer!
djonesax
Liter Mug (100 posts)

Re: Why is this happening to me?

Postby pclemon » Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:46 am

Can't tell based on your pictures how you are running your kegserator/taps. It looks like a good portion of your beer lines are exposed and at ambient temperature. Is the keg kept cold?

If your beer lines are at room temperature - even if the keg is being kept cold, the CO2 in the beer that's in the gas line will come out of solution and you'll ed up with a bit of foam in that glass of beer until cold beer starts coming through the line. There's no way around this from a pressure/regulator adjustment standpoint. The solution is to keep your beer lines cold.
Pete
pclemon
Micro Brewery (2500 posts)

Postby BrewBum » Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:19 am

Guessing here but if 18psi works, that is probably what the keg is at and the reason you get foam in the glass is because your line isn't long enough for that pressure.

How long is your liquid line?

http://beersmith.com/blog/2011/07/14/ke ... raft-beer/
Nate
Guess what... I got a fever and the only prescription... is more cowbell!
http://www.Nebraskabeerblog.com
BrewBum

Postby turbo_ale » Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:36 am

djonesax wrote:If I turn the pressure up to about 18 PSI I get no bubbles in the lines but foamy been due to pressure. If I turn it down to 8-12 PSI, I get air in the lines and foam from that. As far as I can tell everything is tight but if it weren't, beer would be spewing out and not sucking air in. Also I have about 7-8 feet of 3/16 ID Beer Line and the regulator is currently set at 10PSI.

3/16" line provides 2.2 lbs of restriction per foot. Ideally pounds of resistance should equal pounds of applied pressure.

I think as Nate said the keg must be at 18 PSI or higher, so to get this beer served properly use longer line, try a 10 foot length and see what happens.
ON TAP:
1. 1C
2. 4B
Bottled: Gewurztraminer, Pinot Noir, Cabernet Sauvignon, 16B, 18B, 18E, 19B, 20, 21A, 23, 27
Fermenting:
Next: 5C

BEER, a mixture of malted grains, water, hops and yeast, that is transformed through the course of fermentation that transcends the simplicity of those basic ingredients, fundamentally into the drink of life.
turbo_ale
turbo_ale

Postby MullerBrau » Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:25 pm

It seems to me that the entire keg is seriously over-carbed. That is going to take a few days to get rid of all that carb. You're going to have to vent the keg for a few days almost to the point of being flat. Then put it at 8-10 psi and pour with a 9-10 foot 3/16" ID bev line.
MullerBrau
Barrel (1000 posts)

Postby djonesax » Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:46 am

Thanks for all the replies!

I'll try to hit on a few comments made.

1. There is about 3 feet of exposed beerline that is not cooled. My first pour always has a lot of foam even if Im 15 minutes between servings which may or may not be long enough for the beer to warm up in the line.

2. I have about 7 or 8 feet of total liquid line.

3. The keg was cold at around 34 degrees and in the kegerator for a couple days and still foamy. The thing I found most odd was the CO2 bubbles rising from the keg side as you can see in the picture of the sanke tap.

The keg has been sitting at 10PSI for a few days now and the foam seems to be getting better besides the first half pour which I have to dump. Is it possible that the keg was over carbed to begin with? Even though the foam seems a tad better, I still get huge air pockets in the lines and I have never noticed that happening with my corny kegs.

Thanks,

David
djonesax
Liter Mug (100 posts)

Postby djonesax » Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:11 pm

Ok, So I went and took some real measurements.

1. 8Ft of 3/16 ID beer line.
2. 2.5 ft of rise from center of keg
3. Temp 36 Degrees
4. Current PSI 10

My PSI is currently at 10PSI and after the initial foam dump it pours and tastes good.

I ran this calculation from this website and calculated that I need just under 3 feet of beer line and I have 8 feet!. Does that sound right?

L = (10 -(2.5 x .5) – 1 ) / 2.7
L= 2.8

http://www.brewersfriend.com/2009/07/18 ... -pressure/

Thanks,

David
djonesax
Liter Mug (100 posts)

Postby turbo_ale » Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:33 pm

djonesax wrote:Ok, So I went and took some real measurements.
1. 8Ft of 3/16 ID beer line.
2. 2.5 ft of rise from center of keg
3. Temp 36 Degrees
4. Current PSI 10
My PSI is currently at 10PSI and after the initial foam dump it pours and tastes good.
I ran this calculation from this website and calculated that I need just under 3 feet of beer line and I have 8 feet!. Does that sound right?

No, keep it at 8' or even longer to calm it down. Try to keep most of that beer line in the cooler to keep it cold.
ON TAP:
1. 1C
2. 4B
Bottled: Gewurztraminer, Pinot Noir, Cabernet Sauvignon, 16B, 18B, 18E, 19B, 20, 21A, 23, 27
Fermenting:
Next: 5C

BEER, a mixture of malted grains, water, hops and yeast, that is transformed through the course of fermentation that transcends the simplicity of those basic ingredients, fundamentally into the drink of life.
turbo_ale
turbo_ale

Postby pclemon » Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:39 pm

Agree with Turbo - if after the initial foam dump it pours good the length of line you have is fine. The foam from the first glass is from the warm beer sitting in the line. To the extent you and minimize or eliminate that, you won't have to dump anything.
Pete
pclemon

Postby djonesax » Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:08 pm

Ok, but, I am still getting air pockets inside the beer line in the kegerator that is at 36 degrees. Is that normal?

David
djonesax
Liter Mug (100 posts)

Postby pclemon » Thu Mar 06, 2014 6:02 am

djonesax wrote:Ok, but, I am still getting air pockets inside the beer line in the kegerator that is at 36 degrees. Is that normal?

David

I wouldn't say it's normal - but wouldn't say it's abnormal either. If it's not causing dispensing problems, don't worry about it.
Pete
pclemon

Postby MullerBrau » Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:30 am

djonesax wrote:Ok, but, I am still getting air pockets inside the beer line in the kegerator that is at 36 degrees. Is that normal?

David
That is still pretty cold for 10 psi. You're still slightly over carbed. Try venting for a few more days and then go 36-40 degrees 9-10 psi. The keg was seriously over carbed and that takes a long time to equalize down to a respectable level.
MullerBrau
Barrel (1000 posts)

Return to Kegging, Bottling and Dispensing