Cost for used Kegs

Discussions about packaging and dispensing beer. Anything from kegging and draft equipment to questions about bottling.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Cost for used Kegs

Postby pclemon » Tue Sep 16, 2014 5:22 am

Most of you have probably already seen it - Adventures in Homebrewing now carries new ball lock kegs for $80ea. Wonder how long it will be before we start to see the cost of used kegs come down. I doubt they'll come back down to $30 where they were 7-8 years ago but tough to try selling a used unit for $65 when a new shiny one is $15 more.
Pete
pclemon
Micro Brewery (2500 posts)
 
Posts: 4306
Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2008 12:13 pm
Location: Marlborough, MA

Re: Cost for used Kegs

Postby rplace » Tue Sep 16, 2014 5:50 am

I'm with Nate, gonna fund my retirement with my stockpile of kegs....just gotta get my "barrel" beer back from Drew. :wink:
User avatar
rplace
Micro Brewery (2500 posts)
 
Posts: 4559
Joined: Fri Oct 06, 2006 7:11 am
Location: Baltimore, MD

Re: Cost for used Kegs

Postby BrewBum » Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:31 am

That is good news PC actually, I wondered how long before the new ones saturated the market.
Nate
Guess what... I got a fever and the only prescription... is more cowbell!
http://www.Nebraskabeerblog.com
User avatar
BrewBum
Moderator
 
Posts: 13118
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2005 7:59 am
Location: In the Sandhills of Nebraska

Re: Cost for used Kegs

Postby Brewtime » Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:37 am

rplace wrote:I'm with Nate, gonna fund my retirement with my stockpile of kegs....just gotta get my "barrel" beer back from Drew. :wink:


I have them any time you want them. Now which beat up ones were your again
Drew

Work Hard, Rock Hard, Eat Hard, Sleep Hard, Grow Big, Wear Glasses if you need 'em "Web Wilder"
User avatar
Brewtime
Addict (5000 posts)
 
Posts: 7100
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2005 1:48 pm
Location: Sykesville Md

Re: Cost for used Kegs

Postby turbo_ale » Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:47 am

pclemon wrote:Adventures in Homebrewing now carries new ball lock kegs for $80ea. Wonder how long it will be before we start to see the cost of used kegs come down. I doubt they'll come back down to $30 where they were 7-8 years ago but tough to try selling a used unit for $65 when a new shiny one is $15 more.


I have not seen these, are they Italian made ? Have a link to site ?

I was just at my local HBS and their brand new ball-lock Corny's had a price sticker for 159.00, I would never pay that much, but 80.00 I would consider.
ON TAP:
1. 1C
2. 4B
3.
4.
5.
6.
Bottled: Gewurztraminer, Pinot Noir, Cabernet Sauvignon, 16B, 18B, 18E, 19B, 20, 21A, 23, 27
Fermenting:
Next: 5C

BEER, a mixture of malted grains, water, hops and yeast, that is transformed through the course of fermentation that transcends the simplicity of those basic ingredients, fundamentally into the drink of life.
turbo_ale
User avatar
turbo_ale
Micro Brewery (2500 posts)
 
Posts: 2704
Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2010 1:18 pm
Location: Colorado Springs, CO

Re: Cost for used Kegs

Postby pclemon » Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:00 am

turbo_ale wrote:
pclemon wrote:Adventures in Homebrewing now carries new ball lock kegs for $80ea. Wonder how long it will be before we start to see the cost of used kegs come down. I doubt they'll come back down to $30 where they were 7-8 years ago but tough to try selling a used unit for $65 when a new shiny one is $15 more.


I have not seen these, are they Italian made ? Have a link to site ?

I was just at my local HBS and their brand new ball-lock Corny's had a price sticker for 159.00, I would never pay that much, but 80.00 I would consider.



http://www.homebrewing.org/AIH-New-5-Ga ... _5100.html

No idea where they're manufactured but they did just get ISO 9001 and NSF certified - not sure exactly what that means but it sounds good. :)


And I agree Nate - I also think it's a good thing.
Pete
pclemon
Micro Brewery (2500 posts)
 
Posts: 4306
Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2008 12:13 pm
Location: Marlborough, MA

Re: Cost for used Kegs

Postby rplace » Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:59 am

Brewtime wrote:
rplace wrote:I'm with Nate, gonna fund my retirement with my stockpile of kegs....just gotta get my "barrel" beer back from Drew. :wink:


I have them any time you want them. Now which beat up ones were your again


Ha! For the first time in the history of my 8-tap dispenser it is unplugged and no beer is flowing :cry: and Nate is thirsty from my almost 1 year old non-payment of our bet. I am beyond slacker lately. BUT I am committing right here in front of everyone (well almost nobody since this forum has so little traffic) that I am going full bore on brewing in the month of October. Long way of saying I probably still won't need my kegs anytime soon. :wink:
User avatar
rplace
Micro Brewery (2500 posts)
 
Posts: 4559
Joined: Fri Oct 06, 2006 7:11 am
Location: Baltimore, MD

Re: Cost for used Kegs

Postby BrewBum » Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:37 pm

:roll: :roll: :roll:

:twisted: :twisted:

:wink:
Nate
Guess what... I got a fever and the only prescription... is more cowbell!
http://www.Nebraskabeerblog.com
User avatar
BrewBum
Moderator
 
Posts: 13118
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2005 7:59 am
Location: In the Sandhills of Nebraska

Re: Cost for used Kegs

Postby CA_Mouse » Tue Sep 16, 2014 2:55 pm

pclemon wrote:I doubt they'll come back down to $30 where they were 7-8 years ago but tough to try selling a used unit for $65 when a new shiny one is $15 more.


I just bought 6 from a fellow brewer for $30 each... Now when new ones drop to $60 each....... :mrgreen:
Mouse
-=ô¿ô=-
That which does not kill us makes us stronger. - Friedrich Nietzsche


Primary: Hopping Dead
Secondary: Mead - Cinnamon; Boysenberry; Blackberry; Tart Cherry
Barrel #2: American Barleywine
Secondary: Dark Cherry Sour '13
Secondary: Pom-Cran Sour '13
Keg #1: Bourbon Barrel Oatmeal Stout
Keg #2: Cascade Pale Ale
Keg #3: Berliner Weiss
Keg #4: Cascade Pale Ale
Keg #5: Irish Red
Keg #6: Tart Walking IPA
Keg #7: Dad's Apple Cider
Bottled: Robin's Root Beer
User avatar
CA_Mouse
Keg (750 posts)
 
Posts: 810
Joined: Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:49 pm
Location: Riverside, CA

Re: Cost for used Kegs

Postby tookalisten » Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:56 pm

I've been slacking brewing lately too. I did not brew hardly any this summer. Usually keep 6 to 8 on tap and now have 3 on tap and 2 are VERY light. I did brew last weekend; so got it started back up.

I already have my grains weighed out for 2 more batches; so I too will hit it hard in the coming weeks.

Sad to see so many empty kegs in the garage.
Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
~Robert Brault

Primary:
Kegged: JZ's WCB, RIS, Two Hearted Ale, Brown Moose Ale
User avatar
tookalisten
Micro Brewery (2500 posts)
 
Posts: 4854
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2005 5:29 pm
Location: NC - yall

Re: Cost for used Kegs

Postby pclemon » Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:03 am

CA_Mouse wrote:I just bought 6 from a fellow brewer for $30 each... Now when new ones drop to $60 each....... :mrgreen:


You got a really good deal. From what I'm seeing on CL, HBT and the various on-line retailers $50 or under is almost unheard of for ball lock kegs.
Pete
pclemon
Micro Brewery (2500 posts)
 
Posts: 4306
Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2008 12:13 pm
Location: Marlborough, MA

Re: Cost for used Kegs

Postby CA_Mouse » Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:10 pm

pclemon wrote:
CA_Mouse wrote:I just bought 6 from a fellow brewer for $30 each... Now when new ones drop to $60 each....... :mrgreen:


You got a really good deal. From what I'm seeing on CL, HBT and the various on-line retailers $50 or under is almost unheard of for ball lock kegs.


It was a great deal. He was downsizing and my brother and I both needed to double our size. I did have to drive to San Diego to get them, but that is a regular occurrence anyway. Not as pretty as new ones, but for $30 each who cares? they hide in a dark keezer anyway.
Mouse
-=ô¿ô=-
That which does not kill us makes us stronger. - Friedrich Nietzsche


Primary: Hopping Dead
Secondary: Mead - Cinnamon; Boysenberry; Blackberry; Tart Cherry
Barrel #2: American Barleywine
Secondary: Dark Cherry Sour '13
Secondary: Pom-Cran Sour '13
Keg #1: Bourbon Barrel Oatmeal Stout
Keg #2: Cascade Pale Ale
Keg #3: Berliner Weiss
Keg #4: Cascade Pale Ale
Keg #5: Irish Red
Keg #6: Tart Walking IPA
Keg #7: Dad's Apple Cider
Bottled: Robin's Root Beer
User avatar
CA_Mouse
Keg (750 posts)
 
Posts: 810
Joined: Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:49 pm
Location: Riverside, CA

Re: Cost for used Kegs

Postby turbo_ale » Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:57 pm

Not as good as the deal I got from the Shineman, four ball-lock kegs, shipping from AZ to CA was more than the keg price. All total was 47.00, I rounded to 50.00, 12.50 each! I have since asked him if his contact has any more, he said no. The year was 2012.

Here is the link to his posting viewtopic.php?f=15&t=40497&hilit=corny+kegs
ON TAP:
1. 1C
2. 4B
3.
4.
5.
6.
Bottled: Gewurztraminer, Pinot Noir, Cabernet Sauvignon, 16B, 18B, 18E, 19B, 20, 21A, 23, 27
Fermenting:
Next: 5C

BEER, a mixture of malted grains, water, hops and yeast, that is transformed through the course of fermentation that transcends the simplicity of those basic ingredients, fundamentally into the drink of life.
turbo_ale
User avatar
turbo_ale
Micro Brewery (2500 posts)
 
Posts: 2704
Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2010 1:18 pm
Location: Colorado Springs, CO

Re: Cost for used Kegs

Postby CA_Mouse » Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:02 pm

Considering that I started kegging just over a year ago, I can't complain. I paid $40 each for 2, $35 each for 2 and the other 4 were $30 each.
Mouse
-=ô¿ô=-
That which does not kill us makes us stronger. - Friedrich Nietzsche


Primary: Hopping Dead
Secondary: Mead - Cinnamon; Boysenberry; Blackberry; Tart Cherry
Barrel #2: American Barleywine
Secondary: Dark Cherry Sour '13
Secondary: Pom-Cran Sour '13
Keg #1: Bourbon Barrel Oatmeal Stout
Keg #2: Cascade Pale Ale
Keg #3: Berliner Weiss
Keg #4: Cascade Pale Ale
Keg #5: Irish Red
Keg #6: Tart Walking IPA
Keg #7: Dad's Apple Cider
Bottled: Robin's Root Beer
User avatar
CA_Mouse
Keg (750 posts)
 
Posts: 810
Joined: Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:49 pm
Location: Riverside, CA


Return to Kegging, Bottling and Dispensing

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests