Adding Hops after bottling

Discussions about packaging and dispensing beer. Anything from kegging and draft equipment to questions about bottling.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Adding Hops after bottling

Postby History2282 » Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:22 pm

I brewed an Imperial Wheat (9.7%) alcohol and tried it after two weeks in the bottle. To create the 9.7% alcohol I doubled the ingredients in the more beer extract instructions. I didn't double the hops however. The beer hasn't carbonated yet, and I expect it to carbonate later since it has such a high alcohol content. I tried a cold uncarbonated beer and it had an interesting almost fruity flavor to it. I was thinking of opening the bottles and adding some whole leaf hops then recapping the bottle so that the hops help add some flavor to the beer.

Please let me know what you think of this option or if you have any other ideas.
History2282
Taster Glass (2 posts)

Re: Adding Hops after bottling

Postby turbo_ale » Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:09 pm

I guess that could work, 1 hop cone per bottle ? It will mess up the clarity, but if you don't mind that no issue. I would for sure get everything laid out and plan ahead, do one bottle at a time, purge with Co2 right before re-capping, use oxy caps too.
ON TAP:
1. 1C
2. 4B
Bottled: Gewurztraminer, Pinot Noir, Cabernet Sauvignon, 16B, 18B, 18E, 19B, 20, 21A, 23, 27
Fermenting:
Next: 5C

BEER, a mixture of malted grains, water, hops and yeast, that is transformed through the course of fermentation that transcends the simplicity of those basic ingredients, fundamentally into the drink of life.
turbo_ale
turbo_ale
Micro Brewery (2500 posts)

Postby Denny » Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:18 am

I've tried it and I don't recommend it. First, the hops break down and cause a mess in the beer. Eventually they get pretty funky tasting. If you really want to try something like that, use some hop extract.
Life begins at 60....1.060, that is!

http://www.dennybrew.com
Denny
Addict (5000 posts)

Postby turbo_ale » Fri Sep 19, 2014 7:35 pm

Denny wrote: If you really want to try something like that, use some hop extract.

Better yet.
ON TAP:
1. 1C
2. 4B
Bottled: Gewurztraminer, Pinot Noir, Cabernet Sauvignon, 16B, 18B, 18E, 19B, 20, 21A, 23, 27
Fermenting:
Next: 5C

BEER, a mixture of malted grains, water, hops and yeast, that is transformed through the course of fermentation that transcends the simplicity of those basic ingredients, fundamentally into the drink of life.
turbo_ale
turbo_ale
Micro Brewery (2500 posts)

Return to Kegging, Bottling and Dispensing