275 kegs!

Discussions about packaging and dispensing beer. Anything from kegging and draft equipment to questions about bottling.

Moderator: Moderator Team

275 kegs!

Postby rplace » Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:49 am

Here ya go boys. This is about 15 minutes from my house. If we buy all 275 I am sure we can get a good deal. We can plan a forum get together for everyone throughout the country I'll smoke some pork while you split them up in my driveway. Flights/driving/Shipping will soon be cheaper than buying them. Book your travel now.

http://baltimore.craigslist.org/for/4636390732.html

Seriously, I wonder what he would take for all 275 and how much effort to flip them? Buy for 20 sell for 40??? What ya think the bulk price would be?
rplace
Micro Brewery (2500 posts)

Re: 275 kegs!

Postby turbo_ale » Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:20 am

Because the guy is asking 60 each he knows what there worth. I doubt he would come down much on the price, just depends how quick he needs the money, how valuable his time is. Having to deal selling two's, three's at a time will be a hassle. That said if he wholesaled the whole lot for 20 each as a will call pick up to one buyer, that would be 5,500 in his pocket quick.

If I was within driving distance I would make a 5,500 offer to him, then turn around and sell for 40 each at a peace meal sale.
ON TAP:
1. 1C
2. 4B
Bottled: Gewurztraminer, Pinot Noir, Cabernet Sauvignon, 16B, 18B, 18E, 19B, 20, 21A, 23, 27
Fermenting:
Next: 5C

BEER, a mixture of malted grains, water, hops and yeast, that is transformed through the course of fermentation that transcends the simplicity of those basic ingredients, fundamentally into the drink of life.
turbo_ale
turbo_ale

Postby pclemon » Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:56 am

I'd think you could get $50each for them if you spent the couple of bucks to rebuild & clean them - especially if they're mostly in the condition of the one that's pictured. Offer him $35/each for the whole lot. Potential profit of $4K if you value your time less than he values his.
Pete
pclemon

Postby rplace » Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:43 am

I got a power washer...and a home made keg washer as well. Maybe I should get a kick starter campaign going. :wink: Presell them all for $40 get my bank roll all established then offer the guy a lump sum. Unfortunately I don't have the time lately to brew much. I can't see myself getting into the part-time keg reselling business.

6-8 years ago I used to drive by the Pepsi facility in that town and lust over the 1000s of kegs just sitting outside. Always told myself you need to stop in and see if they would sell you 20 or so...never did. I wonder if they guy is connected with the facility or just bother to take the time to stop in that I never did?

I think you are right Pete, with just a little bit of time and effort cleaned/rebuilt would probably bring 50. ebay fees are a killer, would have to find a way to sell them on my own. If you got all 275 and on banked on only being able to sell 200 due to problems 50X200 is still $10K. If you were all in for $6K that is still a $4K profit. Wonder how quickly with my wife and two dogs we can turn around a keg from scrap to home brew ready? I bet that in the picture is on the "good" end of the spectrum. I bet there are a lot of turds in the pile.

I've organized a few bulk grain buys...what a PITA, I could only imagine if I hit up all the home brewers in this area to try and get them all to $hit or get off the pot on how many kegs they wanted. :evil:
rplace

Postby pclemon » Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:50 am

rplace wrote:I've organized a few bulk grain buys...what a PITA, I could only imagine if I hit up all the home brewers in this area to try and get them all to $hit or get off the pot on how many kegs they wanted. :evil:

I definitely would NOT try to do it as a group buy. "Yeah, I'd be interested in 10 if you can get them for $5 a piece... otherwise I'll take 1".

I also wouldn't do ebay since like you said, the fees kill it - especially coupled with paypal fees. I actually think I could get rid of that number without too much trouble in my area of the world. The one LHBS that I know carries kegs carries converted pin-locks and wants $70 each for them.
Pete
pclemon

Postby tookalisten » Thu Sep 25, 2014 1:39 pm

I would like to just go see what that many in one place looks like!
Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
~Robert Brault

Primary:
Kegged: JZ's WCB, RIS, Two Hearted Ale, Brown Moose Ale
tookalisten

Postby rplace » Thu Sep 25, 2014 3:26 pm

^^Heaven!
rplace

Return to Kegging, Bottling and Dispensing