Trying to bottle a stout I have on beer gas

Discussions about packaging and dispensing beer. Anything from kegging and draft equipment to questions about bottling.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Trying to bottle a stout I have on beer gas

Postby tomaszek@ummhc.org » Tue Feb 17, 2015 2:43 pm

So before i drink all my cherry stout which is on 25/75 beer gas, i thought i'd be good to share with some friends. But since i know N2 doesn't dissolve well. I was thinking to put the keg on 15 PSI CO2 to carbonate with CO2 and then fill some bottles like I usually do. Will that work? Or is the 25% CO2 that's in the beer gas already carbed the beer. ? Should I just drain the pressure and fill the bottles now? thanks
keith
tomaszek@ummhc.org
Taster Glass (2 posts)

Re: Trying to bottle a stout I have on beer gas

Postby BrewBum » Tue Feb 17, 2015 3:20 pm

it has carbed it to 25% so you need to add the 75%.

Great spreadsheet here for stuff like this. I have learned more about this stuff that i care to admit sitting up our tap room system.

http://mcdantim.com/distributor-tools/calculators/

Venting and going flat might be the easiest but the spreadsheets might be able to figure out how much to add to get it back to the appropriate amount. You could also just increase the beer gas pressure on the keg. Our kegs are hit with 30 psi because of the distance of the lines, the temp and the gas blend, which is just a serving gas blend, opposite of what you are using.

Anyway, that should help.
Nate
Guess what... I got a fever and the only prescription... is more cowbell!
http://www.Nebraskabeerblog.com
BrewBum

Postby CA_Mouse » Wed Feb 18, 2015 5:54 pm

I have heard of several small breweries and lots of homebrewers that carbonate as normal with just CO2 and only use the beer gas to serve with. I would think that this is more economical as well as easier to add to your standard pipeline.

If I am mis-informed, please let me know, as I move closer to my brewery I would like to save as much time and money on the day-to-day operations as possible.
Mouse
-=ô¿ô=-
That which does not kill us makes us stronger. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Primary: Hopping Dead
Secondary: Mead - Cinnamon; Boysenberry; Blackberry; Tart Cherry
Barrel #2: American Barleywine
Secondary: Dark Cherry Sour '13
Secondary: Pom-Cran Sour '13
Keg #1: Bourbon Barrel Oatmeal Stout
Keg #2: Cascade Pale Ale
Keg #3: Berliner Weiss
Keg #4: Cascade Pale Ale
Keg #5: Irish Red
Keg #6: Tart Walking IPA
Keg #7: Dad's Apple Cider
Bottled: Robin's Root Beer
CA_Mouse
Keg (750 posts)

Postby BrewBum » Thu Feb 19, 2015 7:20 am

Correct, we are carbonating an oatmeal stout in the brite right now and we have it at about 1.5 volumes. We will keg it like that and serve it on 75% nitro 25% co2 line with a stout faucet. If you don't under carb it when it goes through the stout faucet it will just be entirely foam.

All our other beers are carbed as normal and then they are put on a system that is 60% co2 and 40% nitro to serve with, the nitro is the serving pressure to get it through our 40ft run without foaming out.

I literally researched and trialed and error this thing for a couple weeks. I know too much at this point and I still don't know it all because of line resistance and such.
Nate
BrewBum

Postby CA_Mouse » Thu Feb 19, 2015 6:57 pm

BrewBum wrote:Correct, we are carbonating an oatmeal stout in the brite right now and we have it at about 1.5 volumes. We will keg it like that and serve it on 75% nitro 25% co2 line with a stout faucet. If you don't under carb it when it goes through the stout faucet it will just be entirely foam.

All our other beers are carbed as normal and then they are put on a system that is 60% co2 and 40% nitro to serve with, the nitro is the serving pressure to get it through our 40ft run without foaming out.

I literally researched and trialed and error this thing for a couple weeks. I know too much at this point and I still don't know it all because of line resistance and such.

Good to know. THank you for the tips/confirmation. I do have one question though.... Is there a particular reason that you are serving all beer on nitro? I would think that there are lots of beers that wouldn't be appropriate for it. :?: Is there a difference in the taste or is it just appearance? Is it cheaper than using just CO2 to push them?
Mouse
-=ô¿ô=-

CA_Mouse
Keg (750 posts)

Postby rplace » Fri Feb 20, 2015 5:23 am

The nito is to "push" and not get into the beer like c02. Long lines have lots of restriction so you can't carb and server at same pressure. The longer the lines the more restriction. Not sure where the point is but at some point it is no practical to server on Co2 alone. I believe Nate is saying all his beers are delivered on nitro in his BPub but only that stout or some are actually served as a nitro beer with stout faucet, etc.
rplace
Micro Brewery (2500 posts)

Postby BrewBum » Fri Feb 20, 2015 11:29 am

What Rich said.

You need serving pressure but you don't want to overcarb the beer. The nitro has no affect on my beer at all, it does not absorb. We went through a month of foam issues on our line and finally had to go with a blender. We are at a near 40 foot run which should be able to be balanced with c02 but you have to be perfect on temps and pressure for it to work and we couldn't get it balanced at that level so we went to a blender and it has worked flawless sense.

Distance and height will determine if you need to nitro just to push your beer. We then have one separate line for nitro style beers which get a different blend of gas then the others, more nitrogen and then the faucet will do the magic.

I think we have $6000 dollars at least in our serving system, 12 lines, glycol chiller, tower, blender etc. s**t aint cheap!
Nate
BrewBum

Postby CA_Mouse » Fri Feb 20, 2015 2:16 pm

That makes more sense now. Thank you both for the brain jog. We are looking at having 24 taps online, so depending on our final design, may have to go this route as well.

Cheers Gentlemen!
Mouse
-=ô¿ô=-

CA_Mouse
Keg (750 posts)

Postby BrewBum » Fri Feb 20, 2015 2:22 pm

Yep, all comes down to the distance and height travelled and the further you get away from the taps the more precise you have to be.

We even had to put 3 foot chocker lines at the taps because we were pushing 30 psi through the lines and it need to slow down.

We were pouring out about 1/2 beer of foam per pour for awhile though and that cost us way more than the fixing the problem did.

One of our biggest learning curves has been carbonation. We are still trying to figure out tank carbonation too. We are about to splurge on a guage to measure it, until now we were counting on tank pressure stablization and time with a stone, but if you get a leak or have to add something to the tank and you vent the pressure your variables change to much to get it back right.

Still learning on that deal.
Nate
BrewBum

Return to Kegging, Bottling and Dispensing