New Belgium 1554 Enlightened Black Ale

Reviews of MoreBeer kits and commercial brews.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Re: New Belgium 1554 Enlightened Black Ale

Postby turbo_ale » Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:42 pm

GARMISCH wrote:Look at Austinhomebrew They have their versions of commercial beers. The kit/recipe for this is in the numerical section at the bottom of their commercial beer section.

This is it http://www.austinhomebrew.com/product_i ... ts_id=1735

I put in Beer Smith the numbers AHB has configured, 9lbs base malt, .81 specialty malt, comes out to a 1.050 OG, NB starts out using 1.062
ON TAP:
1. 1C
2. 4B
Bottled: Gewurztraminer, Pinot Noir, Cabernet Sauvignon, 16B, 18B, 18E, 19B, 20, 21A, 23, 27
Fermenting:
Next: 5C

BEER, a mixture of malted grains, water, hops and yeast, that is transformed through the course of fermentation that transcends the simplicity of those basic ingredients, fundamentally into the drink of life.
turbo_ale
turbo_ale
Micro Brewery (2500 posts)

Postby alewife » Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:26 pm

I've made a version of the 1554 for several years now-- based quite a bit on the research done in the reference on Brewing Network as well as other sources. It needs a debittered black malt -- regular black malt is too harsh. I used the Bohemian lager yeast -- pitched at 58 deg.-- fermentation held at 60-62 degrees. Worked very well. Gave it a bit of a mini lagering--a couple weeks at 33-35 deg. Even got the color right! :D Just that tint of red in the light! Grains of paradise work well. The only thing my version lacked, to my taste, was a very slight tartness in the background when compared head on with 1554. After reading Papazain's book, Homebrewed Adventures, where he traveled the world tasting craft brews, I got another inspiration from the beer he conjured up for 1554. He called it 1447 Zwart Rose Ale, saying he took the liberty to add a small pile of fresh rose petals to the mix. I knew rose petals were not the flavor I needed for my recipe, but immediately thought of dried rose hips, knowing they might well get me that extra tang I was looking for. I know NB probably doesn't use them, but a small addition of rose hips have gotten me to a very tasty black ale/lager much like 1554. Only, now I like my version better! :wink:

Alewife

PS My OG is around 1.060.
On Deck: Flanders Red

In primary:

Conditioning:

Ready to drink: Harri's Tudor 1504 Ale; Irish Heavy, Dobby's Magic Belgian Dark

Cellared: Hardly Cider (2015 and 2016)
alewife
Barrel (1000 posts)

Postby turbo_ale » Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:54 pm

turbo_ale wrote:1554, 10 gal, all-grain, 79% efficiency

18 lbs, Rahr 2-Row, 80.00%
2.5 lbs, German Munich, 11.11%
1 lb, CaraPils/Dextrine, 4.44%
8 oz, Black Malt, 2.22%
8 oz, Chocolate Malt, 2.22%

2 oz, Northern Brewer @ 40, 24.6 IBU

7 gm, Seeds of Pardice, @ 5, did not crush seeds

carboy 1, 2 vials WLP810 SF Lager, ferment @ 65F
carboy 2, 2 vials WLP862 Cry Havoc, ferment @ 68F

OG: 1.061
est. FG: 1.018
est. ABV: 5.61%
SRM: 23.5
IBU: 24.6
est. Apparent Attenuation 69%

This is what I brewed this past Sunday, hydrometer sample was fantastic.
I changed up my mash temp and mash time to help lower apparent attenuation, I mashed at 158F for 45 minutes, cut the yeast nutrients in half.
ON TAP:
1. 1C
2. 4B
Bottled: Gewurztraminer, Pinot Noir, Cabernet Sauvignon, 16B, 18B, 18E, 19B, 20, 21A, 23, 27
Fermenting:

BEER, a mixture of malted grains, water, hops and yeast, that is transformed through the course of fermentation that transcends the simplicity of those basic ingredients, fundamentally into the drink of life.
turbo_ale
turbo_ale

Postby alewife » Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:33 pm

Similar to what I came up with, except used a much higher percentage of Munich, used CaraMunich instead of carapils , subbed in dehusked Carafa II for the black malt. And, used target hops as per an interview I read online from an NB rep. And, there is the GOP discrepancy... Guess not so close to mine after all... but I suspect yours will be tasty, too. ;) Oh, and I used WY Bohemian Lager at 60 degrees. (Tell me what you think of Cry Havoc, I have been uninspired by it).

Alewife

In primary:

Conditioning:

alewife
Barrel (1000 posts)

Postby turbo_ale » Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:15 pm

alewife wrote:used target hops as per an interview I read online from an NB rep. I used WY Bohemian Lager at 60 degrees. (Tell me what you think of Cry Havoc, I have been uninspired by it).
Alewife

The brew store I go to does not sell Target hops, I think the Norther Brewer might be a good fit? Interesting about the WY2124, even states that the ferment temp can go up to 68F. Did you have to preform a diacetyl rest?

I only used WLP862 (Cry Havoc) one other time, on my Low ABV Blonde Ale. I just started drinking it, only ten days old, but a good beer. I will give this more time and report back about the flavor, aroma of the beer using this yeast. My FG went down to 1.0065 from a SG of 1.042, this was not my plan, I wanted around 70% but got 84.5% apparent attenuation.
ON TAP:
1. 1C
2. 4B
Fermenting:

turbo_ale
turbo_ale

Postby alewife » Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:50 pm

Yes, I do a diacetyl rest, just because! :) Comes out nice and smooth and clean. No problems at all. Have used the Bohemian Lager probably half a dozen times now and it has worked well each time. Those who have fermented in the mid to high 60's have noticed too much ale character, tho. The lowest I was able to brew with it was 56 deg. (in another recipe) and the highest was one year at about 62 deg. Although, most of the active fermentation time has been done closer to 60. It is a solid, working yeast, not too fussy. Looking back at my notes, I've always gotten better than 75% attentuation. But I've been pleased with the flavor profile. Have used it in my version of 1554 since 2008, so a few years now!

I think N Brewer would probably be just fine in this brew. I couldn't find Target this year either, so looked up subs in BYO Hops-- where the suggestions were Willamette, Fuggle, and Magnum. Went with Willamette because I had some on hand. Will have to see what differences there are with this batch. This particular recipe is popular with my friends and family, so will have to see if there are any complaints with the switch in hops! If I don't mention it, they may not even notice. :wink:

Alewife

In primary:

Conditioning:

alewife
Barrel (1000 posts)

Postby turbo_ale » Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:31 pm

Been drinking my kegged batch of 1554 with the WLP810 yeast, what a great Porter! I need to buy another real 1554 to drink along side mine at the same time to compare. Beer is only eleven days old and very tasty. The only two things that mine does not have is the red hue and the very slight smoke flavor. How can I go about getting the red hue next time if using the same grain bill ?

This weekend will be two weeks of bottle conditioning, I will try my bottled version of the 1554 using the WLP862.
ON TAP:
1. 1C
2. 4B
Fermenting:

turbo_ale
turbo_ale

Postby alewife » Sun May 20, 2012 10:05 am

turbo_ale wrote:The only two things that mine does not have is the red hue and the very slight smoke flavor. How can I go about getting the red hue next time if using the same grain bill ?

I use Carafa II, rather than black malt, per suggestions from the Brew Network thread. I got the red hue just right, but mine lacks about 1 SRM of being quite dark enough. I will try it with just a bit more Carafa next time. My recipe is at 30 SRM right now. You can "see" through 1554 when put up to the light, that's when mine looks just slightly less dark than the original. In the glass, it looks pretty much the same.

Latest from New Belgian (read on this site some place, I think) is that they use Chocolate Wheat -- that could make a difference too, in color and flavor. I haven't tried it with choc wheat yet.

I like my variation well enough not to tinker too much more with it. And, thankfully, so do my friends and family!

Cheers!

Alewife

Oh, I also use a higher proportion of Munich to two-row than you are using-- that might make a bit of a color difference, too.

Correction: The use of Chocolate Wheat that I recalled was for Deschutte's Porter, not for 1554. Still, you may want to give it a try. Who knows! ;)
Last edited by alewife on Wed May 30, 2012 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

In primary:

Conditioning:

alewife
Barrel (1000 posts)

Postby turbo_ale » Sun May 20, 2012 4:40 pm

alewife wrote:
turbo_ale wrote:The only two things that mine does not have is the red hue and the very slight smoke flavor. How can I go about getting the red hue next time if using the same grain bill ?

I use Carafa II, rather than black malt, per suggestions from the Brew Network thread. I got the red hue just right, but mine lacks about 1 SRM of being quite dark enough. I will try it with just a bit more Carafa next time. My recipe is at 30 SRM right now. You can "see" through 1554 when put up to the light, that's when mine looks just slightly less dark than the original. In the glass, it looks pretty much the same.
Latest from New Belgian (read on this site some place, I think) is that they use Chocolate Wheat -- that could make a difference too, in color and flavor. I haven't tried it with choc wheat yet.
Oh, I also use a higher proportion of Munich to two-row than you are using-- that might make a bit of a color difference, too.

Taking a taste test of my 1554 that was bottled conditioned and using WLP862, to compare with the feedback from the contest, judges.
This beer is very malty, going to reduce the German Munich Malt next time. I will take your advice and sub the Black Malt for Carafa II plus add some Chocolate Wheat.
I like this beer, but one of the judges thought this beer was a "good effort" the other judge thought it was "flawed".
When I compare this to the real 1554, I noticed that when the real one warms up it becomes a whole different beer. The sugars come through, the complexity of the sugars shine.
ON TAP:
1. 1C
2. 4B
Fermenting:

turbo_ale
turbo_ale

Postby turbo_ale » Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:42 pm

http://www.craftbeer.com/brewers_banter ... giums-1554

I spy with my little eye something that is different on New Belgium’s 1554 label. While before, it was labeled, “Enlightened Black Ale,” it now says, “Black Lager.” Why, New Belgium, what does it all mean?
Okay, so is 1554 an ale or a lager? In a recent blog post, “Did You Notice the Change to 1554?” New Belgium enlightens us: “To be clear, both labelings are correct. (Kind of.) See, 1554 is brewed with a lager yeast, but at an ale temperature. It’s a unique beer brewed using a unique process, and classifying it in either category leaves something to be desired.” So 1554 is tall, dark and mysterious.
But why the label change? Because of Texas, of course. Wait—Texas?
“Until recently Texas had a law stating that any beer with an ABV over 5 percent must either be labeled an ale or a malt liquor. Since 1554 is kind of an ale—and because we wanted to sell 1554 in Texas—we labeled it an ‘Enlightened Black Ale.’”
ON TAP:
1. 1C
2. 4B
Fermenting:

turbo_ale
turbo_ale

Postby pclemon » Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:15 am

The texas issue is just another point to prove how over-legislated we are.

In my mind an ale is an ale if it uses an ale yeast and a lager is a lager if it uses a lager yeast - regardless of what the fermentation temp/profile is. If they want to call it a hybrid - ala a Steam/Alt/Cream - that helps define it a little better but if it uses a lager strain it's a lager.
Pete
pclemon

Previous

Return to Beer Reviews