Ale Smith IPA

Reviews of MoreBeer kits and commercial brews.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Ale Smith IPA

Postby turbo_ale » Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:31 pm

Just had my first Ale Smith Beer, an IPA.
http://alesmith.com/beers/alesmith-ipa/
What a great IPA, I could drink this everyday without tiring. The website and bottle does not give any clues about the ingredients.

"Deep golden to light amber color, and a nice off-white head, with good retention when properly served. Starts off with pleasantly strong hop flavors, balanced by a firm malt backdrop, then fades to a dry finish with a lingering hoppiness. Medium straw color, pale tan head. Rich malty aroma with a HUGE dose of hops. Medium-full body with sweet malty flavors and a delicious abundance of aromatic a bittering hops."

What is amazing I had my very own homebrewed Columbus IPA hours before I had theirs, it was identical in color, aroma, flavor. I don't know if this was coincidence or the B3 Columbus IPA # 462, which I tweaked, turned out to be a copy of it?

88% Rahr 2-row
8% 40L
4% CaraPils
Magnum @ 30, 69.7 IBU
Columbus @ 5, 19.9 IBU
Columbus @ 2, 8.4 IBU
Amarillo Gold, dry-hop
US-05 dry yeast
OG: 1.060
FG: 1.008
ABV: 6.8%
SRM: 8.4
IBU: 97.9
ON TAP:
1. 1C
2. 4B
Bottled: Gewurztraminer, Pinot Noir, Cabernet Sauvignon, 16B, 18B, 18E, 19B, 20, 21A, 23, 27
Fermenting:
Next: 5C

BEER, a mixture of malted grains, water, hops and yeast, that is transformed through the course of fermentation that transcends the simplicity of those basic ingredients, fundamentally into the drink of life.
turbo_ale
turbo_ale
Micro Brewery (2500 posts)

Re: Ale Smith IPA

Postby diver » Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:27 pm

I never had the real Alesmith IPA but I've been making what's supposedly a clone of it for a few years that I got from "Brew Your Own 150 Classic Clone Recipes." Amarillo and Columbus is in it plus some Simcoe and Cascade. It's one of my favorite homebrews ".
ENJOY YER BEER and let them that don't want none have memories of not havin' any!
diver
Corny Keg (500 posts)

Return to Beer Reviews