Torpedo by the can

Reviews of MoreBeer kits and commercial brews.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Torpedo by the can

Postby Russell » Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:22 pm

Since this is intended as a review of the fact that this is an ale in a can, I won't list details of what is probably a well established beer at this point, one, that many on here have probably consumed of bit of, such as myself.

It is worthy. Taste is spot on compared to bottled version of Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA. A nice, creamy, full bodied, well hopped IPA. There doesn't seem to be any metalic taste, unless you allow a part of your mouth to contact the can, hence decanting into a glass as you would a bottle should be the norm, out on the trail, then drink from the can.

This is a hoppy beer solution for hikers, mntbikers and backpackers. About 8 bucks for 4 - 16 oz. cans. Cans weigh .7 oz, while 12oz. beer bottles weigh 6.9 oz.
cheers, Russell
"It's better to die for something than to live for nothing."
Russell
Barrel (1000 posts)

Torpedo by the can

Postby BrewBum » Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:51 am

I am still surprised you expected a difference. It will have a longer shelf life too.
Nate
Guess what... I got a fever and the only prescription... is more cowbell!
http://www.Nebraskabeerblog.com
BrewBum

Re: Torpedo by the can

Postby Russell » Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:19 am

Thanks Nate. I expected a difference because any food item packaged in aluminum tends to take on some essence from the metal, especially beer. This is the reason, I've shunned the very notion of cans for years, as have no doubt others, which is why, no doubt, Sierra Nevada is quick to point out that the can is specially lined.
"It's better to die for something than to live for nothing."
Russell
Barrel (1000 posts)

Postby BrewBum » Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:37 am

That changed a long time ago with cans, in the 80s maybe, when they started lining them. The reason people think it tastes like metal is because they drink it out of the can and their tongue touches and therefore tastes the metal.

Cans are a superior package in nearly every way possible.
Nate
Guess what... I got a fever and the only prescription... is more cowbell!
http://www.Nebraskabeerblog.com
BrewBum

Postby turbo_ale » Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:03 pm

BrewBum wrote:The reason people think it tastes like metal is because they drink it out of the can and their tongue touches and therefore tastes the metal.

+1

Also IMO all beer should be served into a beer glass, not drank from bottle or can, I notice a difference with my bottled beer and other production beers.
ON TAP:
1. 1C
2. 4B
Bottled: Gewurztraminer, Pinot Noir, Cabernet Sauvignon, 16B, 18B, 18E, 19B, 20, 21A, 23, 27
Fermenting:
Next: 5C

BEER, a mixture of malted grains, water, hops and yeast, that is transformed through the course of fermentation that transcends the simplicity of those basic ingredients, fundamentally into the drink of life.
turbo_ale
turbo_ale
Micro Brewery (2500 posts)

Postby beertron » Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:17 pm

turbo_ale wrote:Also IMO all beer should be served into a beer glass, not drank from bottle or can, I notice a difference with my bottled beer and other production beers.

so do i. when ever i give someone a beer i always ask them to pour it into a glass. i gave my boss a barleywine and stressed that it should be poured. he consumed it from the bottle so i told him that was the last beer he's getting... ever. :lol:
let there be beer

Tap #1 - Blueberry Biere de Garde
Tap #2 - Biere de Garde
Tap #3 - Foreign Extra Stout
Tap #4 - American Pale Ale
Tap #5 - Traditional Bock
Bottled: Oaked Barleywine, Brown Porter, Belgian Pale Ale
Carbonating: Chai Spiced Weizenbock
Conditioning: German Pils
Fermenting:
Brewing: American Barleywine (12-17-12)
beertron
Barrel (1000 posts)

Postby Brewtime » Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:08 am

beertron wrote:
turbo_ale wrote:Also IMO all beer should be served into a beer glass, not drank from bottle or can, I notice a difference with my bottled beer and other production beers.

so do i. when ever i give someone a beer i always ask them to pour it into a glass. i gave my boss a barleywine and stressed that it should be poured. he consumed it from the bottle so i told him that was the last beer he's getting... ever. :lol:

I gave a co-worker a mixed six pack lat friday. whe i saw him to day he was raving about the Sasion. I have to give him credit he fessed up and said he did put a orange wedge in his glass :shock: . I told him e strike one :lol:
Drew

Work Hard, Rock Hard, Eat Hard, Sleep Hard, Grow Big, Wear Glasses if you need 'em "Web Wilder"
Brewtime
Addict (5000 posts)

Postby budman610 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:11 pm

I agree with the fact that as long as you give it a pour into a good glass and let it breath some oxygen your good. If you've seen how cans are handled and stored and some of the crap that accumulates around the edge you know why some people think canned beer taste bad. From a brewer standpoint a can also permits zero light!
budman610
Taster Glass (2 posts)

Return to Beer Reviews