Sam Adams Longshot

Reviews of MoreBeer kits and commercial brews.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Sam Adams Longshot

Postby turbo_ale » Fri Apr 20, 2012 4:13 pm

I just bought a six-pack of Sam Adams 2012 Longshot, I would say a must buy six-pack ! There is a 5.9% Munich Dunkel, a 8.9% Imperial Stout and a 9.3% Altbier. Drink them in this order. I must say I really enjoyed these beers, very well crafted, great tasting beers.

Congratulations to Corey Martin, Fred Hessler and Joe Formanek, our 2011 Longshot American Homebrew Contest Winners. Their homebrews have been selected to appear in our 2012 Longshot 6-packs!

Corey has been working on his Munich Dunkel for some time and the result is this amber, medium-bodied brew. With a nice malty backbone, this lager has roasty, slightly spicy notes and a traditional doughy character from the yeast. It is well worth the time he took to perfect it.

For the past 15 years, Joe has been brewing his Russian Imperial Stout. This malt-forward brew has a rich complexity, with roasty and chocolate notes, yet enough hop bitterness to balance out the sweetness. This satisfying winter brew is full-bodied with an enjoyable velvety smoothness.

Fred wanted to go big or go home with his homebrew and decided to brew a kicked up Sticke Alt. This full-bodied ale has a big, malty character balanced by subtle orange and grapefruit notes from the hops. With a light amber color, this brew has a sweet finish.

http://www.samueladams.com/promotions/L ... nners.aspx
ON TAP:
1. 1C
2. 4B
Bottled: Gewurztraminer, Pinot Noir, Cabernet Sauvignon, 16B, 18B, 18E, 19B, 20, 21A, 23, 27
Fermenting:
Next: 5C

BEER, a mixture of malted grains, water, hops and yeast, that is transformed through the course of fermentation that transcends the simplicity of those basic ingredients, fundamentally into the drink of life.
turbo_ale
turbo_ale
Micro Brewery (2500 posts)

Re: Sam Adams Longshot

Postby pclemon » Sat Apr 21, 2012 5:04 am

I'm an acquaintance of Fred and got a chance to taste the homebrewed example of the Alt. It was a really good example - I'll have to keep an eye out for the longshot sixer and try the professional brewed one.
Pete
pclemon
Micro Brewery (2500 posts)

Return to Beer Reviews