Best New Beer in a While

Reviews of MoreBeer kits and commercial brews.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Best New Beer in a While

Postby rplace » Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:10 am

I don't get to NC as much as I would like, but managed to sweet talk the brewer at a tiny spot in come city that sounds like a planet in some b-rated sifi flick from the 50s. Yes tookalisten brewing sent me out some samples. They arrived on my porch yesterday and spent the day in the cold so ready to go when I got home. I'll provide my impressions of two of their offerings.

IPA - Pours medium copper with soft white rocky head that lasts to the bottom 1/3 of the glass. Nice floral hop aroma. Very clear but ever so slight haze, dry hopping perhaps(?). Perfect carbonation, lovely lacing throughout the glass. Really nice hop balance for the style with a strong malty back bone seconds after the finish. Well balanced. All in all a top notch beer. I would easily pay 10-12 bucks for a six-pack if it were available in my area. 4 out of 5.

Amber - This one really was a home run. My wife and I split the 22oz bottle and we were both left wanting more. Here words were "wow, this is delicious" Crystal clear for a home brew. Rich amber color - spot on. Carbonation/head again hits the mark. Balance was dead center letting you taste both hops and malt not too much of either but slightly less on the hops. Medium mouth feel. The beer just seems to soak into your cheeks as if no need to swallow. This is a beer with plenty of flavor, but one you could drink several pints of. I only wish I had more so I could. Very well done. 4.5 out of 5.

Oh, the amber was highly approved by brew dog he would not leave me in peace to drink it. Demanding multiple fingers of foam from my share and several drops on his tongue. Much lip licking before retiring to lick his less easy to reach places. Four paws up as seen below. The wife got to drink all of hers.

Can't wait to try the rest of the shipment.

rplace
Micro Brewery (2500 posts)

Re: Best New Beer in a While

Postby tookalisten » Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:02 pm

You are too kind! Really glad you enjoyed them. Looking forward to trying your brews when I get home tonight.

Took
Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
~Robert Brault

Primary: Blonde Ale
Kegged: Brown Ale, Porter, Sweet Stout, IPA, Amber, Citra Pale Ale
tookalisten

Postby tookalisten » Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:55 pm

Arrived home and this is what was awaiting me from rplace's brewery.
I guess this means you are my valentine! Thanks! Got them chilling now.

Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
~Robert Brault

tookalisten

Postby tookalisten » Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:46 pm

I dove into a few of yours tonight as well. I do not think I am as talented at descriptive reviews but the three I tried were a huge hit.

Pale Ale - started with this one; golden color, crystal clear, nice head/perfect carbonation. I kept thinking I could drink this all summer on tap. Very nice.

Imperial Amber - popped the top on this 22 oz bottle just as a brewing buddy of mine pulled in the drive. I am glad I had someone to share this one with as this was a big beer. Too many of these and I would be using poor syntax right now in my typing. Though, for such a bigger beer, it was perfectly balanced, copper color, noted hops and nice malt finish. I kept trying to think what commercial beer this reminded me of and it was kind of like an Arrogant Bastard; but bigger. I would love to have several of these bombers on hand.

Pepper beer - this is a hit! I have always wanted to make a pepper beer; but just have not pulled the trigger as I was not sure exactly how to get the right heat balance. This is perfect. Smoky, slight burn at the end, and beautiful clear golden color. My brewing buddy agreed that we had to have this on tap for the summer. Please post or PM me some details on this one.

Yep, it's a MoreBeer forum, beer swap, brew fest. Now we just need to organize an East Coast brew day.
~Robert Brault

tookalisten

Postby BrewBum » Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:17 am

Look forward to getting my package as well.

Mine of course is payback for Nebraska's dominance over Michigan. :wink:
Nate
Guess what... I got a fever and the only prescription... is more cowbell!
http://www.Nebraskabeerblog.com
BrewBum

Postby pclemon » Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:21 am

tookalisten wrote:Pepper beer - this is a hit! I have always wanted to make a pepper beer; but just have not pulled the trigger as I was not sure exactly how to get the right heat balance. This is perfect. Smoky, slight burn at the end, and beautiful clear golden color. My brewing buddy agreed that we had to have this on tap for the summer. Please post or PM me some details on this one.

I'd be interested in this one as well.
Pete
pclemon

Postby rplace » Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:00 am

BrewBum wrote:Look forward to getting my package as well.

Mine of course is payback for Nebraska's dominance over Michigan. :wink:

You got all half full 12 oz bottles bottled directly from the tap overflow collection drain. :twisted: Took got the beer gun and properly Co2 purged 22s.
rplace

Postby rplace » Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:04 am

I think this is actually better than mailing off to comps. Most of us make pretty good beer and we know it. For a comp you go through the mess of bottling, expense of shipping and entry fees and all you get is a ribbon or medal at best...maybe some constructive feedback, maybe not. Losing a bet aside (get you next year) Took and I swapped out beers so I actually get to taste what others make for my bottling/shipping efforts. I only wish they were not so darn heavy to ship. Hmmmm, wonder if I could vacuum seal beer in a bag. Somebody buy me a canning line.
rplace

Postby Monster Mash » Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:45 pm

You guys need to get a room...

with a bar... :P
Monster Mash
Post Whore (10000 posts)

Postby rplace » Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:47 pm

Monster Mash wrote:You guys need to get a room...

You are just jealous cuz you didn't get any.
rplace

Postby tookalisten » Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:44 pm

Well I did forget to add that I do all my beer tastings with "no pants"..... being valentine's day and all.
~Robert Brault

tookalisten

Postby Monster Mash » Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:21 pm

rplace wrote:

You are just jealous cuz you didn't get any.

Actually yes I am.... :D
Monster Mash
Post Whore (10000 posts)

Postby tookalisten » Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:56 pm

Popped the top on the Cream Ale this afternoon. Another very nice, smooth, easy drinking beer. I could settle in with several of these.
~Robert Brault

tookalisten

Postby BrewBum » Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:49 am

I got my beer last night just in time to get snowed in tonight and tomorrow. I look forward to cracking them open. I will save a few to share with you speed, especially the pepper beer as you are a connoisseur.
Nate
Guess what... I got a fever and the only prescription... is more cowbell!
http://www.Nebraskabeerblog.com
BrewBum

Postby speed » Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:33 am

WOO-HOO :D
What will be will be.
Jane Hodges
speed
Barrel (1000 posts)

Return to Beer Reviews