Recommended Beer of the Month Clubs

Reviews of MoreBeer kits and commercial brews.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Postby Klickitat Jim » Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:27 pm

I'm looking into joining a beer of the month club to expand my snobbery vocabulary. Any suggestions or ones to avood?

Sent from my VS840 4G using Tapatalk 2
"the right of the people to keep and bear arms, harleys, beer or brewery equipment, shall not be infringed!"
Klickitat Jim
6 Pack (200 posts)

Postby Brewtime » Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:09 am

Best thing to do IMHO is to find a good beer store that lets you create your own six parks and buy beers you have not tried. My experience with BOTMC is you get crappy regional beers and most likely you have had them in the past. If you have a smart phone you can get an app called Untappd where you can log your beers and rate them as well as get suggestions of other beers to try.
Drew

Work Hard, Rock Hard, Eat Hard, Sleep Hard, Grow Big, Wear Glasses if you need 'em "Web Wilder"
Brewtime
Addict (5000 posts)

Re: Recommended Beer of the Month Clubs

Postby dmtaylor » Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:11 am

Many years ago, my wife bought me a 6-month subscription to this one. I enjoyed it so much that I renewed my membership for a couple of years. I found that after a couple years, they started sending the same beers more than once, so then I quit. But it was great for that couple years.

http://www.beermonthclub.com/

EDIT: I also agree with Drew's comments that creating your own 6-pack (several big store chains allow this) is a better, and cheaper, way to try different brews. The cost of any monthly mail-order beer club is pretty damned expensive. It is convenient, and they send a nice newsletter detailing the recipes and such, and they do send you beers that you could not find otherwise, so there are some nice things about it. Worth a try if you're thinking about it. But it does end up just being a little too expensive versus the benefits, in the long run, IMHO.
Dave
dmtaylor
Pitcher (300 posts)

Postby rplace » Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:01 am

Brewtime wrote:Best thing to do IMHO is to find a good beer store that lets you create your own six parks and buy beers you have not tried. My experience with BOTMC is you get crappy regional beers and most likely you have had them in the past. If you have a smart phone you can get an app called Untappd where you can log your beers and rate them as well as get suggestions of other beers to try.

Totally agree you can do way better on your own. Most beers from BotM clubs are soso at best IMO.
rplace
Micro Brewery (2500 posts)

Postby tookalisten » Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:51 am

Agree with above; find a local store. I started one this year from a Christmas gift and it is great! I've already asked my wife to give me the same next December.

Anyone in Raleigh area - it is "Bottle Revolution"
Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
~Robert Brault

Primary: Pale Ale
Kegged: Brown Ale, Sweet Stout, IPA, Blonde Ale, Vienna Lager
tookalisten
Micro Brewery (2500 posts)

Postby Klickitat Jim » Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:46 am

I was afraid of that and glad I asked. Saddly the nearest place that has a great selection is Hoppy Place about two hours away. I'll just have to buy a case of mixed singles next time

Sent from my VS840 4G using Tapatalk 2
"the right of the people to keep and bear arms, harleys, beer or brewery equipment, shall not be infringed!"
Klickitat Jim
6 Pack (200 posts)

Postby GloridazeBrewing » Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:41 am

The biggest reason I've considered doing a beer of the month is to get beers I can't get here in NY, Russian River, Bells, Pizza Port, etc, but I can't find one that even claims to send these.
GloridazeBrewing
Taster Glass (2 posts)

Return to Beer Reviews