Angel City

Reviews of MoreBeer kits and commercial brews.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Angel City

Postby Monster Mash » Tue May 14, 2013 1:49 pm

Went to Angel City last night for a screening of "Crafting a Nation". I got a flight of beers and unfortunately only one beer out the five was really any good.

The movie was actually pretty good, they interviewed a lot of craft breweries but most of them were in Colorado but they did highlight the differences in which each state handles craft brewing.

Eureka Wit: Fruit and clove notes, pretty well balanced peppery with a subtle citrusy hop finish.

Angeleno IPA: Medium-bodied, copper-hued beer. Too much Citra gave this beer a cat piss flavor I couldn't get past.

Amber: Nice amber color with a nutty/bready nose. Very phenolic and oxidized.

Oktoberfest: Medium-bodied, amber lager with a sweet malty finish. This was the best beer they had but still wasn't fantastic.

Night Ryeder: Another Amber but with Rye. Malty and slightly sweet, needed more hops to balance it out better.

Monster Mash
Post Whore (10000 posts)

Re: Angel City

Postby tookalisten » Tue May 14, 2013 3:56 pm

I really enjoy flights of beers to try them all. Decent price too at $8.
Unfortunate they only had one notable one.
Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
~Robert Brault

Primary: Vienna Lager
Kegged: Brown Ale, Porter, Sweet Stout, IPA, Amber, Citra Pale Ale, Blonde Ale
tookalisten
Micro Brewery (2500 posts)

Postby turbo_ale » Thu May 23, 2013 11:56 am

Monster Mash wrote:Went to Angel City last night for a screening of "Crafting a Nation". I got a flight of beers and unfortunately only one beer out the five was really any good.

The movie was actually pretty good, they interviewed a lot of craft breweries but most of them were in Colorado but they did highlight the differences in which each state handles craft brewing.

Craig, could you expound on the breweries in CO and the differences between each state ?
I am living in CO now and this peaked my interest.
Bob
ON TAP:
1. 1C
2. 4B
Bottled: Gewurztraminer, Pinot Noir, Cabernet Sauvignon, 16B, 18B, 18E, 19B, 20, 21A, 23, 27
Fermenting:
Next: 5C

BEER, a mixture of malted grains, water, hops and yeast, that is transformed through the course of fermentation that transcends the simplicity of those basic ingredients, fundamentally into the drink of life.
turbo_ale
turbo_ale

Postby Monster Mash » Thu May 23, 2013 3:57 pm

turbo_ale wrote:
Monster Mash wrote:Went to Angel City last night for a screening of "Crafting a Nation". I got a flight of beers and unfortunately only one beer out the five was really any good.

Craig, could you expound on the breweries in CO and the differences between each state ?
I am living in CO now and this peaked my interest.
Bob

The movie focused a lot on Black Shirt Brewing because they were just starting out and they showed how difficult it can be to get the doors open. They also interviewed Great Divide, Strange, and Wyncoop. The other state they focused on was TX because breweries there cannot self distribute. There were too many breweries in the movie to list from all over the U.S. but at least they only focused on the small craft breweries. It was a better movie then Beer Wars in the fact they focused on a craft brewery and not some person trying to sell a gimmick.
Monster Mash
Post Whore (10000 posts)

Postby turbo_ale » Fri May 24, 2013 10:31 am

Monster Mash wrote:The movie focused a lot on Black Shirt Brewing because they were just starting out and they showed how difficult it can be to get the doors open. They also interviewed Great Divide, Strange, and Wyncoop. The other state they focused on was TX because breweries there cannot self distribute. There were too many breweries in the movie to list from all over the U.S. but at least they only focused on the small craft breweries. It was a better movie then Beer Wars in the fact they focused on a craft brewery and not some person trying to sell a gimmick.

Thanks.
What I understand with CO is that with a brewpub license you can self distribute. In CA and TX one needs to go through a distributor ?

P.S. How is your business coming along in Tehachapi ?
ON TAP:
1. 1C
2. 4B
Bottled: Gewurztraminer, Pinot Noir, Cabernet Sauvignon, 16B, 18B, 18E, 19B, 20, 21A, 23, 27
Fermenting:
Next: 5C

BEER, a mixture of malted grains, water, hops and yeast, that is transformed through the course of fermentation that transcends the simplicity of those basic ingredients, fundamentally into the drink of life.
turbo_ale
turbo_ale

Postby KTbrew » Tue Dec 24, 2013 9:53 am

I was a big fan of Angel City before they re-opened. They made some really interesting beers in those days. However, I will continue to follow their progress and will probably visit again soon.
KTbrew
Liter Mug (100 posts)

Postby Kahanho0 » Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:29 pm

I just bought their rotator 12 pack and that was the featured beer. For a amber beer with espresso in it, it is great and not over the top. I picked up on the creamy texture, clean finish, caramel, balanced overall. The lemon, I did not until I read the label, then I could detect a faint citrus flavor, otherwise I would have missed it.
I enjoyed the beer as an espresso amber beer, well made.
Kahanho0
Empty Glass (<2 posts)

Return to Beer Reviews