How To Review Beers

Reviews of MoreBeer kits and commercial brews.

Moderator: Moderator Team

How To Review Beers

Postby Triple Freak » Mon Apr 04, 2005 9:21 am

Preparation: First, never rate a beer directly from a can or a bottle, only a clean glass. Make sure your sample is at the proper temperature.
Aroma: Smell the beer. First impressions are very important. Note any off smells like vinegar, oak, etc.
Appearance: How much does this beer say "Pick me up & drink me?"
Note any obvious defects like chill haze, chunks of yeast, incorrect color for the style, etc.
Flavor: How does it taste? How many different flavors can you identify?
Palate: Mouthfeel of the beer. Does it coat the tongue, or is it thin & lifeless?
Overall: Finally the beer is rated overall out of 20 marks. This can be a way of balancing up other features about the beer or anything else you like or dislike about it. You might be a cost conscious beer drinker and include price. How likely are you going to want to buy this beer again?
Rating scale: On a scale of the following, rate accordingly.
Aroma- 1-10/10 (One to ten, out of ten)
Appearance-1-5/5 (One to five, out of five)
Flavor-1-10/10 (One to ten, out of ten)
Palate-1-5/5 (One to five, out of five)
Overall-1-20/20 (One to twenty, out of twenty)
Total-Add all scores, and average it out.
ABV- Self explanatory. If you know it, please add it. If not, don't guess.
Last edited by Triple Freak on Tue Apr 22, 2008 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Triple Freak

Postby rookie » Mon Apr 04, 2005 12:14 pm

So, megaswill BAD
Microbrew GOOD
Probably wouldn't be discriptive enough?
Steve,
"I'm a man, but I can change; if I have to, I guess"
The man's prayer from the Red Green show on PBS>
rookie
Keg (750 posts)

Postby Lars » Tue Apr 05, 2005 11:41 am

One option would be another rating of how familiar you are with a particular style, and if you are familiar with the style how much you like the style. So, I'm sure many of us are somewhat familiar with the light american lager style, but probably don't like it too much...
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy
Lars
Pitcher (300 posts)

Postby JP » Thu Apr 07, 2005 11:56 am

And remember to post a poll with each review rating the beer from one to five
Cheers!
JP
JP

Postby Keith » Sat Nov 19, 2005 1:21 pm

Just trying to reiterate a few things: when you review a beer, please use the guidelines posted by TF or something simillar, or at least be constructive and descriptive with your critique. When you send a beer to a competition, the judges don't send back "this beer sucks/this beer is good" and leave it at that.

Don't forget to post in poll format!

Thanks!
[NOT A MODERATOR]
Keith

Postby Brewtime » Tue Sep 05, 2006 8:15 am

Keith wrote:Just trying to reiterate a few things: when you review a beer, please use the guidelines posted by TF or something simillar, or at least be constructive and descriptive with your critique. When you send a beer to a competition, the judges don't send back "this beer sucks/this beer is good" and leave it at that.

Don't forget to post in poll format!

Thanks!

Keith is right I just got back sheets from my first competition and found the feedback to be helpful.
Drew

Work Hard, Rock Hard, Eat Hard, Sleep Hard, Grow Big, Wear Glasses if you need 'em "Web Wilder"
Brewtime
Addict (5000 posts)

Re: How To Review Beers

Postby monkeysports » Thu Dec 18, 2008 8:48 am

I'm curious about the requirement that a beer be poured before being tasted. Does a bottle really affect the taste much, or is this just a question of appearance?

I was having a disagreement with someone yesterday, and I couldn't adequately explain why you have to pour a beer before tasting it.

Thanks.
monkeysports
Pint Glass (25 posts)

Postby thetooth » Thu Dec 18, 2008 9:02 am

monkeysports wrote:I'm curious about the requirement that a beer be poured before being tasted. Does a bottle really affect the taste much, or is this just a question of appearance?

I was having a disagreement with someone yesterday, and I couldn't adequately explain why you have to pour a beer before tasting it.

Thanks.

It makes a huge difference. A large portion of our sense of taste actually comes from our sense of smell. When you drink from a bottle, you aren't getting anything with your nose, so the beverage will taste muted and lose a lot of character. This is really easy to test for yourself. Grab a bottle of beer, pour half into a glass. Then try the bottle and glass back to back. I guarantee you'll notice a difference.
thetooth
Micro Brewery (2500 posts)

Postby Mr. Wonderful » Thu Dec 18, 2008 6:11 pm

that was a great explaination TT ..
Rich Brooks --
When working twice as hard to compensate for lack of talent, there's no end to what you can't achieve.
Mr. Wonderful
Barrel (1000 posts)

Postby Dmac08 » Fri Dec 19, 2008 9:04 am

thetooth wrote:
monkeysports wrote:I'm curious about the requirement that a beer be poured before being tasted. Does a bottle really affect the taste much, or is this just a question of appearance?

Thanks.

It makes a huge difference. A large portion of our sense of taste actually comes from our sense of smell. When you drink from a bottle, you aren't getting anything with your nose, so the beverage will taste muted and lose a lot of character. This is really easy to test for yourself. Grab a bottle of beer, pour half into a glass. Then try the bottle and glass back to back. I guarantee you'll notice a difference.

That is why you see a lot of BMC drinkers drinking out of the bottle. That way they don't have to smell that swill.
In the immortal words of Jean Paul Sartre, 'Au revoir, gopher'.

On Tap: Belgian Pale Ale, ESB
Fermenting: Amber Ale, Black Butte Porter Clone
Lagering: Oktoberfest, Munich Helles
On Deck:Stone Levitation Clone
Dmac08
Barrel (1000 posts)

Postby rplace » Fri Dec 19, 2008 9:16 am

The beer I have noticed the biggest difference in bottle vs. glass is Rogue Dead Guy. It is like two totally different beers when drank/drunk from the bottle versus a glass. Give it is a try if you don't think there is a difference.
rplace

Postby WingStall » Fri Feb 13, 2009 1:14 am

When drinking beer or wine, 70% of the overall olfactory experience comes from the sense of smell.

If I'm going to pay the premium for a bottle of craft beer, I'll be damned if I'm going to cheat myself out of the enjoyment that that beer has to offer by drinking it from the bottle. I'm going to demand a glass (hopefully an appropriate one) to enjoy everything that beer has to offer. I paid for it, and I deserve it.
Cheers, Andy
WingStall

Postby b33rm4chine » Fri Feb 13, 2009 1:45 am

I don't mind drinking some beers from the bottle, (mostly IPA's but also brown ales, lagers, doppelbocks) because it's such a hugely different experience from the glass. I'd say I only drink 3-5% of my beer this way, but it can be nice to mix it up sometimes and it's sometimes convenient or I'm feeling too lazy to grab a glass.
"Reports that say that something hasn't happened are always interesting to me, because as we know, there are known knowns; there are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns; that is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns -- the ones we don't know we don't know." - Donald Rumsfeld
b33rm4chine
Pitcher (300 posts)

Return to Beer Reviews