Before you post a review

Reviews of MoreBeer kits and commercial brews.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Before you post a review

Postby jamilz » Wed Apr 06, 2005 12:36 pm

When reading these reviews, please keep in mind that different people have different tastes and there will be some very opposite reviews.

If you like or dislike a product that someone else has reviewed, feel free to post your own notes on the product.

When posting a review, keep in mind that what you're reviewing is the creation of someone just like you. They very often put their heart and soul (not to mention a lot of hard work) into the product and deserve some measure of respect.

While you do not need to like any particular product, please write reviews as if you were speaking with the brewer personally. We should all be able to write reviews and be critical of the products, without having the brewer punch our lights out. ;-)

Posts that don't add to the specific understanding of a product ("me toos", "they all suck") will get zapped.
jamilz
Barrel (1000 posts)

Postby just-cj » Thu Apr 07, 2005 5:17 pm

Good guidelines. However, the "me toos" and "I didn't like it at alls" -- in other words, the simple comments -- are also valuable. Let's say I review a beer, giving it 4 out of 5. My review is pretty much complete. You read it, agree with everything I wrote, and post, Me too. That's a confirmation of the review, no? Just seeing a bunch of anonymous ratings with one review doesn't mean a whole lot to me. I want others to support (or not) what the reviewer said.

Or am I missing something here? :?:
just-cj
Corny Keg (500 posts)

Postby jamilz » Thu Apr 07, 2005 6:01 pm

You're telling me you can't think of anything more to say than, "me too?"

Your tasting experience was exactly the same as the other person? I just don't believe it. Add some descriptive text in support of the review.
I hope my post helped you in some way. If not, please private message me and let me know.

A proud member of QUAFF, DOZE, WZZ, and the AHA.
Check out the yeast pitching calculator at:
http://www.mrmalty.com
Check out the archives to my radio show at:
http://www.thebrewingnetwork.com/jamil.php
jamilz
Barrel (1000 posts)

Postby QoB » Fri Apr 08, 2005 8:53 am

What is happening is censorship based on "my way or the highway." In essence, the freedom of expression is OK as long as it fits "my" guidelines. I find this inappropriate use of moderating power.

This is just my OP and I'm not trying to offend anyone or any moderators.
The Swingin' A's
QoB
Barrel (1000 posts)

Postby jamilz » Fri Apr 08, 2005 9:17 am

We're trying to keep the Reviews as that, reviews. We want every post to add something significant to the discussion of the product. By requiring people to put more thought and effort into it, we think we'll achieve that.

If someone wants to just do a yes/no type of input, reviews will have a poll which they can use to respond.

I'm sorry you don't care for the format, but we have to do what we think is best for the majority of users.
I hope my post helped you in some way. If not, please private message me and let me know.

jamilz
Barrel (1000 posts)

Postby just-cj » Fri Apr 08, 2005 5:30 pm

jamilz wrote:You're telling me you can't think of anything more to say than, "me too?"

Your tasting experience was exactly the same as the other person? I just don't believe it. Add some descriptive text in support of the review.
Okay, let's suppose I'm not a particularly experienced beer drinker. I try an XYZ ale, and really like it. Then I read a review here, and WOW, that guy really knows how to describe a beer, and that's how I felt. So I post something simple like, "I liked it too. I'll definitely buy this one again." I don't have the sophistication or experience to really add more information. Does that make my input unimportant? An anonymous "4" in a poll means very little to me; a "4" with a comment, even a simple comment, means much more. That's what I meant by my original comment. 8)
just-cj
Corny Keg (500 posts)

Postby jamilz » Fri Apr 08, 2005 5:58 pm

Sure, I understand and I think your point is valid, but it doesn't work with what we're trying to do here.

We want to keep the number of posts to a reasonable number for a given beer. If someone has to scroll through 20 pages of "me too", "yes I agree" and stuff like that just to get to another detailed review, then it kind of loses its punch. See where I'm trying to go?

Ideally, users could find the beer they're interested in and in a page or two read a half dozen detailed reviews. They can get a sense of the overall groups like/dislike of the beer from the poll, without having to count up a bunch of posts.

It is the same reason we'll zap any posts that aren't reviews. Not that we don't like the posts, but we're trying to create something here without diluting it down with other stuff.

jamilz
Barrel (1000 posts)

Postby Beer Diver » Wed Apr 13, 2005 10:14 am

jamilz wrote:Sure, I understand and I think your point is valid, but it doesn't work with what we're trying to do here.

[We want to keep the number of posts to a reasonable number for a given beer. If someone has to scroll through 20 pages of "me too", "yes I agree" and stuff like that just to get to another detailed review, then it kind of loses its punch. See where I'm trying to go?]

Ideally, users could find the beer they're interested in and in a page or two read a half dozen detailed reviews. They can get a sense of the overall groups like/dislike of the beer from the poll, without having to count up a bunch of posts.

It is the same reason we'll zap any posts that aren't reviews. Not that we don't like the posts, but we're trying to create something here without diluting it down with other stuff.

I think this is a great point! If you want to make more or less than a review start a new thread with your topic. This way someone just wanting to read some reviews can do so. Keep up the great work
homebrew your way to happiness
Beer Diver
Pint Glass (25 posts)

Postby JP » Thu Apr 14, 2005 8:45 pm

what happened to the poll that was to be on every review? I liked that idea.
Cheers!
JP
JP

Postby Beach Brewer » Thu Apr 14, 2005 9:16 pm

JP wrote:what happened to the poll that was to be on every review? I liked that idea.

I think we've only had one new review since the poll idea was accepted.
-Bryan
Batches Brewed: 100

"..and I will make it felony to drink small beer." --Shakespeare's Henry VI
Beach Brewer
Micro Brewery (2500 posts)

Postby just-cj » Thu Apr 14, 2005 10:19 pm

Can't the admins/mods go in and add a poll to the old posts? I know with the "green board's" software we can do that, but I'm not sure about php.
just-cj
Corny Keg (500 posts)

Postby dazed » Fri Apr 15, 2005 8:37 am

Beach Brewer wrote:I think we've only had one new review since the poll idea was accepted.

I think the Freak ran out of beer! :wink:
dazed
Corny Keg (500 posts)

Postby Triple Freak » Fri Apr 15, 2005 8:55 am

Nope. I have over 500 more reviews, it's just a major PITA to add a poll to every single one of them.
Triple Freak

Postby dazed » Fri Apr 15, 2005 10:26 pm

You must have been saving them for a while...thats a lot of different beers! Hope you got a six pack of each! Maybe theres a Binny's Liquor store out buy you...(kinda like the size of a Wallmart).

Cant say much about the poll thing... I never added one... What you could do if its the same Text all the time for the the poll ... make a master file and save it to you hard drive ...in like wordpad or notepad...then copy and paste the same stuff over to your review... like a template sorta
dazed
Corny Keg (500 posts)

Postby Two Hearted » Wed May 11, 2005 8:28 pm

Make sure you can assess lighter beers properly first.
out with the site of it, down with a pint of it, glorious glorious beer!
Two Hearted
Pint Glass (25 posts)

Next

Return to Beer Reviews