How Adding grain to get better gravity now

The techniques, tips and tricks of making beer from grain.

Moderator: Moderator Team

How Adding grain to get better gravity now

Postby vancutan » Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:54 pm

So i read that when you buy pre-milled grains they are not milled quite as fine as they should be. It was suggested to buy a bit more grian to help get a bit more sugar. my questiong is if i add more grain to the mash should i just add more pale malt( for example) or do i need to add proportional amounts of every grain in the bill?
One more quick question, what do you guys think of the 14 oz ABV boost you can buy to add durring the boil to help correct the poast boil gravity?
Thanks Yall
https://songlyricsaz.mobi/cold-water-lyrics-145.html
https://songlyricsaz.mobi/we-dont-talk- ... cs-73.html
Last edited by vancutan on Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vancutan
Taster Glass (2 posts)

Re: How Adding grain to get better gravity now

Postby tookalisten » Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:39 pm

While my grain mill does mill a little finer than our good hosts here when I order pre-milled grains, I never make any adjustments. I just don't think it is worth it.
Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
~Robert Brault

Primary: RIS, Two Hearted Ale
Kegged: Brown Ale, Citra Pale Ale, JZ's WCB
tookalisten
Micro Brewery (2500 posts)

Postby Brewtime » Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:01 am

vancutan wrote:what do you guys think of the 14 oz ABV boost you can buy to add durring the boil to help correct the poast boil gravity?
Thanks Yall

I would not use the boost rather I would uses DME if you want to make corrections to the OG. like Took I would not worry to much about it
Drew

Work Hard, Rock Hard, Eat Hard, Sleep Hard, Grow Big, Wear Glasses if you need 'em "Web Wilder"
Brewtime
Addict (5000 posts)

Postby BrewinProf » Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:59 am

It's true that the grind settings will make a difference in extraction rates but it's hard to predict ahead of time unless you've brewed with that grain at least once. I routinely add a pound of extra pale grain to make up for this but it's still a bit of a crap shoot. I wouldn't worry about adding extra flavoring malts, since they generally make up a smaller portion of the mash and from what I understand their contribution isn't as dependent on crush quality. Regarding adjusting wort gravity after the boil, if you're gonna add something I would add dry malt extract, however ideally you should avoid that by adding extra grain at the start. I monitor my gravity during the boil (possible with a refractometer) and control final gravity by adjusting boil time.

Like the others, I would say don't sweat it. If you really want to be precise add an extra pound of pale malt and then if you overshoot your gravity due to the extra malt you can compensate by adding distilled water.
BrewinProf
Liter Mug (100 posts)

Return to All Grain Brewing