Kolsch that fermented too warm

The techniques, tips and tricks of making beer from grain.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Kolsch that fermented too warm

Postby MikePutt » Tue May 30, 2017 11:58 pm

I brewed a Kolsch yesterday, chilled and transferred to the conical (24-gallon Morebeer heated/cooled conical). When I plugged-in the conical I got a loud pop and the power converter for the cooling system bit the dust. I have a new one on the way, but I had 20 gallons of wort in the fermenter (1.045 OG) and a 4 liter starter spinning (Kolsch WLP 029). I was at 67 degrees and could not cool it any lower so I pitched at about 7pm. It held at 67 degrees overnight and had good activity at 7am, but I knew the temp would be rising. By the time I got home from work (7pm), the temp was at 74 degrees gravity about 1.024.

I usually pitch at about 64, hold for a day or two, then let rise to 68 to finish off.

My dilemma is this, I brewed this batch as a gift for a friend who is getting married and it will be served at his wedding reception on July 8. Added to this is that he and his fiance are heavily involved in their German club, the reception is at one of the club chapters, there will be other German beers on-hand... you get the picture. My recipe is solid and I've brewed it a few times and it took 2nd place in the local County fair competition for the style group.

A few questions:

How sensitive is this yeast to producing off flavors considering the temperatures it went through (optimum 65-69)? The yeast should have spent most of the "reproductive" phase in the optimum range, albeit a little warmer than I would like.

Assuming I get the new power converter tomorrow or the next day, the bulk of the fermentation should be complete. What temperature should I shoot for and how long (hoping the yeast may do some clean-up)?

I'm considering brewing a second batch since this may have some off flavors due to the high range.

Am I cutting it too close with the July 8 due date?

If I do a 2nd back-up batch, should I re-pitch the yeast considering what it went through? Is the flavor profile locked in or are the unwanted esters/off flavors that result from higher temperatures solely produced at those temperatures?

It is definitely fermenting vigorously and the yeast are happy...

Any help or suggestions are appreciated.

Mike
MikePutt
Taster Glass (2 posts)

Re: Kolsch that fermented too warm

Postby Brewtime » Wed May 31, 2017 6:08 am

this is from White labs

From a small brewpub in Cologne, Germany, this yeast works great in K├Âlsch and Alt style beers. Good for light beers like blond and honey. Accentuates hop flavors, similar to WLP001. The slight sulfur produced during fermentation will disappear with age and leave a super clean, lager like ale.

they also state that 68 is optimal range. so I think you will be fine I would cold crash it and maybe lager it for a few days. If you are worried go-ahead and brew batch and I would reuse the yeast. if the original batch is ok then you have some for yourself.
Drew

Work Hard, Rock Hard, Eat Hard, Sleep Hard, Grow Big, Wear Glasses if you need 'em "Web Wilder"
Brewtime
Addict (5000 posts)

Postby rplace » Thu Jun 01, 2017 4:20 pm

I'd brew 2nd batch with same yeast. Take both tell the story and let people see if they can tell the difference without telling ahead which is which. You will be brew hero with two batches and a unique tast testing opportunity
rplace
Micro Brewery (2500 posts)

Postby Brewtime » Thu Jun 01, 2017 5:18 pm

rplace wrote:I'd brew 2nd batch with same yeast. Take both tell the story and let people see if they can tell the difference without telling ahead which is which. You will be brew hero with two batches and a unique tast testing opportunity

winner winner chicken dinner
Drew

Work Hard, Rock Hard, Eat Hard, Sleep Hard, Grow Big, Wear Glasses if you need 'em "Web Wilder"
Brewtime
Addict (5000 posts)

Postby MikePutt » Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:42 pm

I got a new power converter from MoreBeer, but it is a little different. Tried to hook it up and it isn't working right. I posted some questions about it in the Equipment section. Looks like I won't be trying that second batch this weekend.

However, I pulled a sample yesterday, gravity at 1.010 and if I was tasting this beer without knowledge of any of the temperature issues, nothing jumps out as me as being unusual...tastes like a typical 3-day old Kolsch. No bad aromas or flavors that I can detect. I'll know more as the yeast settles out.

Mike
MikePutt
Taster Glass (2 posts)

Postby Brewtime » Fri Jun 02, 2017 4:02 am

MikePutt wrote:I got a new power converter from MoreBeer, but it is a little different. Tried to hook it up and it isn't working right. I posted some questions about it in the Equipment section. Looks like I won't be trying that second batch this weekend.

However, I pulled a sample yesterday, gravity at 1.010 and if I was tasting this beer without knowledge of any of the temperature issues, nothing jumps out as me as being unusual...tastes like a typical 3-day old Kolsch. No bad aromas or flavors that I can detect. I'll know more as the yeast settles out.

Mike

I would give More Beer a call they do not monitor this forum anymore. There are only a handful of us diehards that still lurk in the shadows here.
Drew

Brewtime
Addict (5000 posts)

Postby tookalisten » Sun Jun 04, 2017 12:56 pm

diehard shadow lurker - my new T Shirt
Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
~Robert Brault

Primary: Vienna Lager
Kegged: Brown Ale, Porter, Sweet Stout, IPA, Amber, Citra Pale Ale, Blonde Ale
tookalisten

Postby rplace » Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:22 pm

tookalisten wrote:diehard shadow lurker - my new T Shirt

Order me a large, please.
rplace

Return to All Grain Brewing