Brewing Flow Chart

The techniques, tips and tricks of making beer from grain.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Brewing Flow Chart

Postby Cabin Joe » Wed May 20, 2009 9:54 am

This is a really engin-nerdish question, but here goes...

Has anyone ever seen or created a flow chart which shows the different variables for a brewing stage (water, milling, mashing, etc.) and how they affect the final product? I've seen a breakout for diagnosing off-flavors, but nothing that steps through the process.

Seems like it would be a big help in diagnosing problems and designing beers. Could get pretty complicated, but even a simple version would be helpful given all the ways you can affect beer.

Thanks
Joe
Cabin Joe
Pitcher (300 posts)

Re: Brewing Flow Chart

Postby epic1856 » Wed May 20, 2009 10:23 am

No flow charts, but I have made a Gannt Chart to see where I could cut time from my brew day.
"All right, brain, I don't like you and you don't like me - so let's just do this and I'll get back to killing you with beer." -Homer Simpson

My Homebrew Club: http://longbeachhomebrewers.com/
epic1856
Pint Glass (25 posts)

Postby WingStall » Wed May 20, 2009 11:17 am

I could probably rattle 100+ variables off the top of my head and still miss a few. Not only would it be a massive undertaking to be comprehensive, but because of the subjectivity of sensory analysis, you would run into controversy on many, many topics.

Sounds like a great idea, though. I suggest you get started!
Cheers, Andy
WingStall
Micro Brewery (2500 posts)

Postby Cabin Joe » Wed May 20, 2009 11:32 am

Tons of work and controversy - sounds like a normal project...I'll dive right in! :lol:

If I get anywhere on this I'll post - maybe the brain trust together could create something worthwhile - like brewing linux...
Cabin Joe
Pitcher (300 posts)

Postby Mr. Wonderful » Wed May 20, 2009 4:15 pm

WingStall wrote:I could probably rattle 100+ variables off the top of my head and still miss a few. Not only would it be a massive undertaking to be comprehensive, but because of the subjectivity of sensory analysis, you would run into controversy on many, many topics.

Sounds like a great idea, though. I suggest you get started!

:lol:
Rich Brooks --
When working twice as hard to compensate for lack of talent, there's no end to what you can't achieve.
Mr. Wonderful
Barrel (1000 posts)

Postby Brandon » Wed May 20, 2009 4:37 pm

Drink a beer, make starter, drink a beer, drink a beer, drink a beer, go to sleep, drink a few more beers the next day, wake up, crush grain, heat strike water, drink a beer, mash, test ph, drink a beer, mash out, boil, drink beer, start cleaning mash tun, hook up chiller, add nutrients, chill, pump into fermenters, oxygenate. add yeast, drink beer, clean boil kettle, drink a big beer. Done
http://www.embracethefunk.com <------ My sour beer website
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Embrace-T ... 471?ref=ts

The beer is probably enjoyed by less people than actually like it. -Me
Brandon
Addict (5000 posts)

Postby thetooth » Wed May 20, 2009 4:38 pm

Brandon wrote:Drink a beer, make starter, drink a beer, drink a beer, drink a beer, go to sleep, drink a few more beers the next day, wake up, crush grain, heat strike water, drink a beer, mash, test ph, drink a beer, mash out, boil, drink beer, start cleaning mash tun, hook up chiller, add nutrients, chill, pump into fermenters, oxygenate. add yeast, drink beer, clean boil kettle, drink a big beer. Done

Wow... that was easier than I was anticipating. :lol:
thetooth
Micro Brewery (2500 posts)

Return to All Grain Brewing