No Sparge Brewing

The techniques, tips and tricks of making beer from grain.

Moderator: Moderator Team

DaytonaHomeBrew
Taster Glass (2 posts)
No Sparge Brewing

Post by DaytonaHomeBrew » Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:57 pm

The topic of 'no sparge' brewing has been popping up a lot lately. I have never tried it but I understand that it will cause your mash efficiency to suffer. Does anyone have any experience with no sparge brewing? Please chime in!
Jim Kulakoski
Daytona Home Brew

Denny
Addict (5000 posts)
Re: No Sparge Brewing

Post by Denny » Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:23 pm

DaytonaHomeBrew wrote:The topic of 'no sparge' brewing has been popping up a lot lately. I have never tried it but I understand that it will cause your mash efficiency to suffer. Does anyone have any experience with no sparge brewing? Please chime in!
I've done it may times. My efficiency dropped from about 85% to 55-65%. But when I do no sparge I do parti gyle also, so I recover the leftover fermentables.
Life begins at 60....1.060, that is!

http://www.dennybrew.com

CA_Mouse
Keg (750 posts)

Post by CA_Mouse » Wed Jan 22, 2014 4:01 pm

Denny wrote:
DaytonaHomeBrew wrote:I've done it may times. My efficiency dropped from about 85% to 55-65%. But when I do no sparge I do parti gyle also, so I recover the leftover fermentables.
Since you are still collecting second runnings, you aren't really losing efficiency are you? Plus you are getting a second beer! That's a Win-Win in my book! :mrgreen:
Mouse
-=ô¿ô=-
That which does not kill us makes us stronger. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Primary: Hopping Dead
Secondary: Mead - Cinnamon; Boysenberry; Blackberry; Tart Cherry
Barrel #2: American Barleywine
Secondary: Dark Cherry Sour '13
Secondary: Pom-Cran Sour '13
Keg #1: Bourbon Barrel Oatmeal Stout
Keg #2: Cascade Pale Ale
Keg #3: Berliner Weiss
Keg #4: Cascade Pale Ale
Keg #5: Irish Red
Keg #6: Tart Walking IPA
Keg #7: Dad's Apple Cider
Bottled: Robin's Root Beer

Denny
Addict (5000 posts)

Post by Denny » Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:23 am

CA_Mouse wrote:
Denny wrote:
DaytonaHomeBrew wrote:I've done it may times. My efficiency dropped from about 85% to 55-65%. But when I do no sparge I do parti gyle also, so I recover the leftover fermentables.
Since you are still collecting second runnings, you aren't really losing efficiency are you? Plus you are getting a second beer! That's a Win-Win in my book! :mrgreen:
If you think of it that way, very true!

KTbrew
Liter Mug (100 posts)

Post by KTbrew » Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:42 am

I have a modified no-sparge method that I do now and then. 1. Mash as usual 2. Heat your sparge water while mashing 3. dump the entire volume of mash water in the mash tun 4. reticulate and run off as usual. Just make sure you mash tun can hold all of the water first. My efficiency doesn’t suffer much.

No sparge brewing is sometimes done by people trying to win at competitions. Since you are using a larger volume of grain it can impart more flavor. Some times this is just enough to push a blonde ale, cream ale, mild or even an APA into first place. If your goal is to make good beer to drink at home in my opinion it does not save enough time to justify the extra cost.

BrewBum

Post by BrewBum » Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:57 pm

Do you have any proof of these things because I don't see how more grain results in more full flavor.

Your way is also almost batch sparging too, but the idea that no sparging imparts more flavor is a new one to me. If you insight into that I would be interested in reading it because that could be beneficial for my beers.
Nate
Guess what... I got a fever and the only prescription... is more cowbell!
http://www.Nebraskabeerblog.com

KTbrew
Liter Mug (100 posts)

Post by KTbrew » Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:01 pm

John Palmer writes a bit about it here. https://byo.com/stories/item/1375-skip-the-sparge

I’m sure I heard Jamil Z. talking about it on a video once too. A few years ago there was some talk about it and I initially dismissed it thinking that it couldn’t save enough time to be worth doing. Some time later there was some hearsay about people intentionally using the method to develop contest winning beers, so I decided to see for myself. I did a side by side 1gallon comparison. I used simple marris otter and kent goldings, and calculated for a 20% loss in efficiency. OG’s were about the same as I remember. The no sparge did yield a more flavorful and more attenuative final product. Please understand that the flavor benefits are relatively subtle. Like I said, it may be just enough to push the beer to first place.

While you do lose efficiency and there is no extra fermentables to be gained, when you increase your volume of grain by 20% you gain some flavor compounds from that additional grain.

If you aim to make something like a blonde or cream ale and do everything you possibly can to it to try to win a contest then this might be worth doing. Otherwise I wouldn’t mess with it. I have never done it any more that the small test that I mentioned.

turbo_ale
Micro Brewery (2500 posts)

Post by turbo_ale » Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:04 pm

BrewBum wrote:Do you have any proof of these things because I don't see how more grain results in more full flavor.
Gordon Strong, Brewing Better Beer, Chapter 2 Mastering Techniques, page 55.
ON TAP:
1. 1C
2. 4B
Bottled: Gewurztraminer, Pinot Noir, Cabernet Sauvignon, 16B, 18B, 18E, 19B, 20, 21A, 23, 27
Fermenting:
Next: 5C

BEER, a mixture of malted grains, water, hops and yeast, that is transformed through the course of fermentation that transcends the simplicity of those basic ingredients, fundamentally into the drink of life.
turbo_ale

CA_Mouse
Keg (750 posts)

Post by CA_Mouse » Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:25 pm

Interesting... I do a blonde ale that I can try this with... Last year it took a 3rd place ribbon, so I can give this a go without really too much of an added cost (since it was a 5.2% blonde, the grain build was fairly simple).
Mouse
-=ô¿ô=-

turbo_ale
Micro Brewery (2500 posts)

Post by turbo_ale » Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:29 pm

CA_Mouse wrote:I can give this a go without really too much of an added cost (since it was a 5.2% blonde, the grain build was fairly simple).
Gordon states to adjust grist by 33 - 40 percent.
ON TAP:
1. 1C
2. 4B
Bottled: Gewurztraminer, Pinot Noir, Cabernet Sauvignon, 16B, 18B, 18E, 19B, 20, 21A, 23, 27
Fermenting:
Next: 5C

BEER, a mixture of malted grains, water, hops and yeast, that is transformed through the course of fermentation that transcends the simplicity of those basic ingredients, fundamentally into the drink of life.
turbo_ale

CA_Mouse
Keg (750 posts)

Post by CA_Mouse » Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:45 pm

turbo_ale wrote:
CA_Mouse wrote:I can give this a go without really too much of an added cost (since it was a 5.2% blonde, the grain build was fairly simple).
Gordon states to adjust grist by 33 - 40 percent.
I think total grain bill was 12# of 2-row (will have to double check my recipe at home). So even adding 5# only adds $3-$4 to the cost.
Mouse
-=ô¿ô=-

Denny
Addict (5000 posts)

Post by Denny » Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:20 am

BrewBum wrote:Do you have any proof of these things because I don't see how more grain results in more full flavor.

Your way is also almost batch sparging too, but the idea that no sparging imparts more flavor is a new one to me. If you insight into that I would be interested in reading it because that could be beneficial for my beers.
I have always felt like no sparge and batch sparge brewing produce better tasting beers. Now, that's pretty damn subjective and I'd never try to convince someone of that. But I have made the observation. Kai has also mentioned that "early wort is the best wort".

BrewBum

Post by BrewBum » Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:48 am

very interesting, I only batch sparge but do it for convenience.
Nate
Guess what... I got a fever and the only prescription... is more cowbell!
http://www.Nebraskabeerblog.com

Denny
Addict (5000 posts)

Post by Denny » Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:35 am

BrewBum wrote:very interesting, I only batch sparge but do it for convenience.
I noticed it the first time I tasted a beer I'd batch sparged compared to the fly sparge batches I had dine before. But since it's so subjective I seldom mention it.

CA_Mouse
Keg (750 posts)

Post by CA_Mouse » Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:18 pm

I've only fly sparged once... A Milk Stout that was incredible. I have since tried several times to recreate it as a batch sparge, but haven't seemed to hit the right spot. Most of the times it is drier than the fly sparged one, I guess I can try mashing a little higher and see if that produces the same taste and ABV.
Mouse
-=ô¿ô=-