Session IPA

The techniques, tips and tricks of making beer from grain.

Moderator: Moderator Team

rplace
Micro Brewery (2500 posts)
Session IPA

Post by rplace » Tue Oct 28, 2014 7:21 am

So I'm gonna make a light hoppy beer. Have not managed to track any down but read lots of great things about Easy Jack form Firestone. I like Union Jack and Double Jack. They list the grains and hops on their site. Also been kicking around the idea of doing all the hops post boil...but I'll probably wimp out and make a small 60 minute addition with multiple others at flameout, 190/175/140 degrees.

Anyone got any success or horror stories of all day drinkers with plenty of hops. Got any recipes or techniques to share?

Wow, actual brewing talk. This feels so 2006.

BrewBum
Re: Session IPA

Post by BrewBum » Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:19 am

So a hoppy pale... :twisted:
Nate
Guess what... I got a fever and the only prescription... is more cowbell!
http://www.Nebraskabeerblog.com

pclemon

Post by pclemon » Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:00 am

BrewBum wrote:So a hoppy pale... :twisted:
IMO a session IPA is a little different still than a hoppy pale. Pale Ale's I usually think of as being in the 5.0-6.5%ABV. Yes, I know BJCP says 4.5-6.2% - I'm going based on what I see out there for sale. I have a session IPA that I make (will try to get you the recipe tonight when I get home) that comes in closer to 4.5%. Not a super huge difference I grant you.

I agree that a lot of it is marketing. Dark IPA, Session IPA, etc... but we're going to see more and more of this in coming years and more and more brewers enter the market and try to differentiate their products. Some will truely be different, some will be the same things with different names.
Pete

rplace

Post by rplace » Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:55 am

I'm going with 3.5-4.5 as *MY* idea of a session beer. I am intrigued more by not having any hop additions till after the flame is out. For years and years I brewed 60/20/5 minute additions or close to it for PA/IPAs. Hopping in a whirlpool post flame and waiting to cool for ~1 hour seems totally foreign to me...like the idea of brewing being new again.

I'm also guessing less places to hide flaws in your technique with a lighter beer...though the hops may cover up some mistakes. Like B/M/C or not they are good at doing that one thing well.

BrewBum

Post by BrewBum » Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:20 am

Just poking fun. I like Session IPAs, I just hate all the nomenclature lately. It is needed in some regard just funny.
Nate

rplace

Post by rplace » Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:35 am

Totally agree on the nomenclature thing. Way back when I frequently made a blonde on the light end and over hopped it for my annual Halloween party. Was always a big hit with the "I don't like dark beer" crowd. Wish I was smart enough to think up something like SIPA and trade mark it much like Anchor and owning steam. As much as I like Fritz/Anchor I really hate that their can legally only be one Steam Beer. But I digress. How bout them post boil hops? I gotta see (taste) it to believe it for myself.

BrewBum

Post by BrewBum » Tue Oct 28, 2014 11:34 am

I don't think I have done a 100% post boil hop beer. I have done several IPAs with only late hop additions only, like within the last 15 minutes. I think they turn out great, use a ton of hops though.
Nate

pclemon

Post by pclemon » Tue Oct 28, 2014 11:42 am

BrewBum wrote:I don't think I have done a 100% post boil hop beer. I have done several IPAs with only late hop additions only, like within the last 15 minutes. I think they turn out great, use a ton of hops though.

Yeah - same here. The beers come out great, but you end up with a fairly expensive hop bill. I still do a 60 minute hop though to help support the bitterness aspect of the beer and although I extend by whirlpool time it's only to about 15 minutes. I've never seen a recipe that suggests an hour of whirlpooling.
Pete

rplace

Post by rplace » Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:03 pm

How about 90 minutes? :shock:

https://byo.com/component/k2/item/2808-hop-stands
The second factor to consider is the length of your hop stand. There are no right or wrong answers, but anywhere from 10 minutes to 90 minutes — or even an overnight stand — can be employed. For most super-charged, hop-forward beers, my hop stands will run 45 to 60 minutes. For a mid-range hop profile like an American pale ale or a beer I am looking to get a significant IBU contribution from, I will usually shorten that stand to 30 minutes. If the beer is not to be hop forward nor do I need significant IBU from the hop stand, then 10–15 minute hop stand usually will suffices.

tookalisten

Post by tookalisten » Tue Oct 28, 2014 4:17 pm

I just did a form of Tasty's APA (essential same grain bill and hops but I changed the hop schedule a little). I did add 0.5 oz Magnum for a 10 gallon batch and 1 oz of Simcoe and 1 oz of NB at 30 mins; but tossed all the other hops in at flameout. I also added 4 oz of hops to the fermentor after a week.

I just racked it to kegs and it smelled amazing; though it does have a haze to it; perhaps from all the hops tossed in the last week. Will see how/if it clears. I resisted the urge to taste it until it has carb'd.
Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
~Robert Brault

Primary:
Kegged: JZ's WCB, RIS, Two Hearted Ale, Brown Moose Ale, Ugly Fish IPA

turbo_ale

Post by turbo_ale » Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:32 pm

Has anybody tried a beer that was ALL hopped post-boil ? I do fine the idea intriguing, but I would just add a touch of bittering hops @ 60, then try the post-boil hop method for flavor/aroma. I think the best style would be an American Pale 10A, set the ABV at minimum 4.5% to be within style guidelines.

If one wants lower ABV or use a style that in not normally high in hops like 6A, 6B, 6C, then they could be applied to 23A.
ON TAP:
1. 1C
2. 4B
Bottled: Gewurztraminer, Pinot Noir, Cabernet Sauvignon, 16B, 18B, 18E, 19B, 20, 21A, 23, 27
Fermenting:
Next: 5C

BEER, a mixture of malted grains, water, hops and yeast, that is transformed through the course of fermentation that transcends the simplicity of those basic ingredients, fundamentally into the drink of life.
turbo_ale

CA_Mouse
Keg (750 posts)

Post by CA_Mouse » Wed Oct 29, 2014 4:15 pm

turbo_ale wrote:Has anybody tried a beer that was ALL hopped post-boil ? I do fine the idea intriguing, but I would just add a touch of bittering hops @ 60, then try the post-boil hop method for flavor/aroma. I think the best style would be an American Pale 10A, set the ABV at minimum 4.5% to be within style guidelines.

If one wants lower ABV or use a style that in not normally high in hops like 6A, 6B, 6C, then they could be applied to 23A.

I did a very close version (but not a session beer). I FWH .5oz of 17.5% AA CTZ and 6oz of various hops at flameout, then 7oz of hops in secondary (read as in my keg). There was so much aroma and flavor I didn't notice if it was bitter!
Mouse
-=ô¿ô=-
That which does not kill us makes us stronger. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Primary: Hopping Dead
Secondary: Mead - Cinnamon; Boysenberry; Blackberry; Tart Cherry
Barrel #2: American Barleywine
Secondary: Dark Cherry Sour '13
Secondary: Pom-Cran Sour '13
Keg #1: Bourbon Barrel Oatmeal Stout
Keg #2: Cascade Pale Ale
Keg #3: Berliner Weiss
Keg #4: Cascade Pale Ale
Keg #5: Irish Red
Keg #6: Tart Walking IPA
Keg #7: Dad's Apple Cider
Bottled: Robin's Root Beer

KTbrew
Liter Mug (100 posts)

Post by KTbrew » Wed Nov 05, 2014 2:14 pm

I have made one 100% post boil hop beer. In the beer I made at4.5% and somewhat of a dry finish it was still unbalanced. I think it would defiantly be possible to make a good one though. The best example I've ever had is the pelican breweries kiwanda cream ale.
Lately I've been experimenting with a 15 min. boil hoppy wheat. It is difficult to get the hop flavor and bitterness balanced. Next time I'm going to try a 60 min. boil.

helloworld
Taster Glass (2 posts)

Post by helloworld » Wed Nov 05, 2014 5:37 pm

I haven't tried it, but I heard that a good technique for session IPAs is to "hop burst" at the end of the boil. Jamil wrote about it for regular IPAs, but I remember hearing that Stone uses it for their session IPA (Go To):

http://www.mrmalty.com/late_hopping.php