Which is worse?

The techniques, tips and tricks of making beer from grain.

Moderator: Moderator Team

dinhhanh
Taster Glass (2 posts)
Which is worse?

Post by dinhhanh » Fri Sep 11, 2015 2:57 am

Still trying to perfect my all grain process. Which is worse at the end of a 60 minute boil. To have too much wort and have keep boiling for say 30 minutes or more. my pham luxury girl Or be under volume and have to add water to the fermentor to get where you need to be?

Tags: tra cuu thong tin doanh nghiep
Last edited by dinhhanh on Fri Aug 26, 2016 12:06 am, edited 4 times in total.

pclemon
Micro Brewery (2500 posts)
Re: Which is worse?

Post by pclemon » Fri Sep 11, 2015 4:59 am

I would say it depends on the beer. If you're making an IPA I would say to keep boiling is worse since your flavor hop addition then becomes a bittering addition and your aroma addition becomes a flavoring addition - screwing up your intended IBU's.

If it's a fairly simple beer with maybe just a bittering addition I would go with the extra 30 minute boil.

In either case I say volume is secondary (or further down) - for me, gravity reading is primary. If you have a good handle on your boil-off rate, take a pre-boil gravity reading and adjust your boil time accordingly so that you end up at the correct post-boil gravity. Then look at your volumes and see if you should adjust your hop quantities to hit the correct IBU's. If you end up with a little more wort at the end of the boil than what you can fit in the fermenter, that's fine, it goes down the drain. If you're a little short that's fine too - ferment it as-is and just bottle/keg the smaller amount. Nothing in the rulebook says you HAVE to end up with 5/10/15/20 gallons.
Pete

Brewtime
Addict (5000 posts)

Post by Brewtime » Fri Sep 11, 2015 7:43 am

I don't sweat the small stuff if I am a few points off I just let it ride and pitch the yeast in the end you still have beer. I doubt anyone is going to tell by taste you missed your targeted OG.
Drew

Work Hard, Rock Hard, Eat Hard, Sleep Hard, Grow Big, Wear Glasses if you need 'em "Web Wilder"

Denny
Addict (5000 posts)

Post by Denny » Fri Sep 11, 2015 8:35 am

dinhhanh wrote:Still trying to perfect my all grain process. Which is worse at the end of a 60 minute boil. To have too much wort and have keep boiling for say 30 minutes or more.
Or be under volume and have to add water to the fermentor to get where you need to be?
They're equally unimportant! As long as you haven't added your finishing hops, there's no problem boiling longer. I usually take a gravity reading at what I estimate to be about 20 min. left in the boil. If I'm on target, I go ahead with late hops. If not, I boil for a while longer before I add them.
Life begins at 60....1.060, that is!

http://www.dennybrew.com

Chungtamsenvn
Taster Glass (2 posts)

Post by Chungtamsenvn » Sat Jul 09, 2016 7:59 pm

If you have a good handle on your boil-off rate, take a pre-boil gravity reading and adjust your boil time accordingly so that you end up at the correct post-boil gravity. Then look at your volumes and see if you should adjust your hop quantities to hit the correct IBU's. If you end up with a little more wort at the end of the boil than what you can fit in the fermenter, that's fine, it goes down the drain.

Chungtamsenvn
Taster Glass (2 posts)

Post by Chungtamsenvn » Sun Jul 10, 2016 8:32 am

I usually take a gravity reading at what I estimate to be about 20 min. left in the boil. If I'm on target, I go ahead with late hops. If not, I boil for a while longer before I add them.

Denny
Addict (5000 posts)

Post by Denny » Sun Jul 10, 2016 9:25 am

Chungtamsenvn wrote:I usually take a gravity reading at what I estimate to be about 20 min. left in the boil. If I'm on target, I go ahead with late hops. If not, I boil for a while longer before I add them. hat thong
Exactly what I do, too.
Life begins at 60....1.060, that is!

http://www.dennybrew.com

marketfixr
Barrel (1000 posts)

Post by marketfixr » Mon Aug 08, 2016 9:34 pm

Brewtime wrote:I don't sweat the small stuff if I am a few points off I just let it ride and pitch the yeast in the end you still have beer. I doubt anyone is going to tell by taste you missed your targeted OG.
I take notes and try to figure out where I was off, and correct it next time. If its a beer i really am trying to perfect, otherwise screw it I've never been off more than 1-1.5 gal in a 10 gallon batch.
"have torch, will travel"

On Tap
Rootbeer, Vanilla bourbon imperial porter, Cream Ale