Promash

The techniques, tips and tricks of making beer from grain.

Moderator: Moderator Team

rplace
Micro Brewery (2500 posts)
Promash

Post by rplace » Mon Oct 19, 2015 5:15 pm

Please no switch to something else suggestions. I'll get to that soon enough. I have a short term problem that I need to fix now.

Have not brewed in ages, broken collarbone and all. I have a new-ish laptop that I set up around July. Shocked that I don't have promash installed on it. I can find the trial version on line but not the full version. I have an old email from 2009 that gives me my user key and code, but the link to download the install files no longer works. I know the developer has had some family problems and no longer supports it.

I've got a brew session planned for this weekend with a guy that is going to help me with the heavy parts due to my collarbone. Yeast is on the stir plate. I have my recipe and session files but no actual application. Can anyone email, me a good install file for the full version? PM me if you can help.

Thanks!

pclemon
Re: Promash

Post by pclemon » Tue Oct 20, 2015 7:03 am

I've never used Pro-mash so can't help you out there.... but if you have the recipe file and someone else has pro-mash would you be able to send them the file and possible for them to print a .pdf of the instruction sheet to work from (assuming that even if they have promash installed they might not have the installation file.

Also, if the recipe is in a format that beersmith can convert feel free to email it to me and I can plug it into beersmith and .pdf you an instruction sheet.

Not the ideal answer I know, but might get you where you need to be?
Pete

rplace

Post by rplace » Tue Oct 20, 2015 7:29 am

Thanks for the ideas Pete. I believe (not sure) BeerSmith uses its own file type. I found an application to convert Promash files to BeerXML. I'll have to see if BeerSmith can import BeerXML files. I'm really looking to do a few things. Scale a recipe up from most likely a smaller batch of 5 or 12 gallons to 20-25 gallons and convert that brewing session accordingly. Probably something I can do with new software of my choosing pretty easily by just starting from scratch with a new recipe. I just though if I could get the Promash install files it would make my life easier. Got a lot going on right now. Never dreamed that armed with my codes from paying for it I would not be able to get back to where I was.

I'll let you all know how the one armed brewing session goes.

Brewtime
Addict (5000 posts)

Post by Brewtime » Tue Oct 20, 2015 9:16 am

just buy a copy of BeerSmith :P :twisted:.
Drew

Work Hard, Rock Hard, Eat Hard, Sleep Hard, Grow Big, Wear Glasses if you need 'em "Web Wilder"

pclemon

Post by pclemon » Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:37 am

rplace wrote:I believe (not sure) BeerSmith uses its own file type. I found an application to convert Promash files to BeerXML. I'll have to see if BeerSmith can import BeerXML files.
I'm pretty sure it can upload beerxml files. Brad (creator of beersmith) is also extremely responsive to emails.
Pete

rplace

Post by rplace » Tue Oct 20, 2015 12:03 pm

Brewtime wrote:just buy a copy of BeerSmith :P :twisted:.
Ok that did make me laugh. :lol:

CA_Mouse
Keg (750 posts)

Post by CA_Mouse » Tue Oct 20, 2015 6:34 pm

Yes BeerSmith can import and export BeerXML files.
Mouse
-=ô¿ô=-
That which does not kill us makes us stronger. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Primary: Hopping Dead
Secondary: Mead - Cinnamon; Boysenberry; Blackberry; Tart Cherry
Barrel #2: American Barleywine
Secondary: Dark Cherry Sour '13
Secondary: Pom-Cran Sour '13
Keg #1: Bourbon Barrel Oatmeal Stout
Keg #2: Cascade Pale Ale
Keg #3: Berliner Weiss
Keg #4: Cascade Pale Ale
Keg #5: Irish Red
Keg #6: Tart Walking IPA
Keg #7: Dad's Apple Cider
Bottled: Robin's Root Beer

Sqhead
Pint Glass (25 posts)

Post by Sqhead » Wed Oct 21, 2015 3:48 am

Don't worry, Promash website will be up and running 6-1-2015!!!!!! :roll:

rplace

Post by rplace » Wed Oct 21, 2015 7:12 am

Sqhead wrote:Don't worry, Promash website will be up and running 6-1-2015!!!!!! :roll:
I saw that. Can't really complain, not like that was the guys sole source of income and the brewing world will grind to a halt without it. Still being able to D/L a file and enter a code to unlock it is pretty basic. Can't believe I can't find the "real" file anywhere. Seems like such a simple thing this day and age...not like I am trying to skirt the purchase price. Reading online it seems to be a very common problem.

rplace

Post by rplace » Wed Oct 21, 2015 9:38 am

Hope this helps somebody in the future.

I'm AMAZED this actually worked. Took the hard drive from the old laptop, copied everything form "Program Files (x86)" to the desktop of my new laptop. Doubled clicked Promash.exe icon. BOOM! all good.

Looks like the program is so old (yes old like me) that there really is no install routine with registry settings, etc. The install must simply copy files to designated directory. The entire program is self contained all you need is your original directory structure and files.

One odd thing. I only had recipes and brewing sessions from 2011 and earlier. That laptop had been upgraded to Win7 in April of 2011 any recipe/session files since then were buried in a .../Users/Me/Local/Bla/Bla/Bla directory. I could not easily find them. Searching for *.Rec and *.BRW found them. I copied them over the proper directory in Promash directory structure and they too showed up, are editable and fully functional within the full Pormash application.

Don't know for sure but guessing the codes sent to you, by the developer, when you paid for Promash back in the day just gave you the ability to download it and install it. Now that the PMash site is down, that link no longer works.

Side Note, my whole goal here was to get the .rec files convert to BeerXML then import into BeerSmith and give it a try. Guess I'll stay old skool with Promash till my next computer problem and b**ch all over again :roll: :roll:

Thanks for nothing you all :P I did it myself :twisted:

Brewtime
Addict (5000 posts)

Post by Brewtime » Wed Oct 21, 2015 11:43 am

I would still buy BeerSmith as a back up for program that has fallen by the wayside. you can cough up $20 cant you
Drew

Work Hard, Rock Hard, Eat Hard, Sleep Hard, Grow Big, Wear Glasses if you need 'em "Web Wilder"

rplace

Post by rplace » Wed Oct 21, 2015 1:52 pm

Brewtime wrote:I would still buy BeerSmith as a back up for program that has fallen by the wayside. you can cough up $20 cant you
No problem there. Happy to help a brewer/developer. I just wanted what I wanted NOW. I've been saying to myself I need new brewing software for about 3 years now. I'm pretty darn good at putting things off.

Can't wait to see how my 1-armed brews turn out. I'm down to panic level - only 3 taps. Two on Co2 and one Nitro. Looks like I have not brewed since March. How many things you think will go wrong trying to brew two 20 gallon batches in the same day with 7 months of non-brewing? Oh, I'm having friends over for brisket and burnt ends too. :shock:

tookalisten

Post by tookalisten » Wed Oct 21, 2015 3:48 pm

Brisket! I may drive up and help out!
Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
~Robert Brault

Primary:
Kegged: JZ's WCB, RIS, Two Hearted Ale, Brown Moose Ale, Ugly Fish IPA

rplace

Post by rplace » Wed Oct 21, 2015 6:47 pm

8:00am Sunday. Get rolling!