Sake ABV

All about sake.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Sake ABV

Postby TimWeber » Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:28 am

I recently brewed the Sake that more beer offers on its site. I forgot to measure the OG. Does anyone know what the potential ABV for the Sake is?
TimWeber
Taster Glass (2 posts)

Postby TampaBrew » Thu Jan 17, 2008 12:02 pm

i think, that kit would yield around 10-13% or so. How did yours come out? Mine was horrible. I'd like to try it again though.
TampaBrew
Barrel (1000 posts)

Postby TimWeber » Thu Jan 17, 2008 1:17 pm

Mine came out surprisingly good! I have had a few different sakes before and I actually liked this one the best. After seperating the rice I decanted the clear yellow liquid off of the white liquid twice and now it is really smooth with a very slight sweetness to it.
TimWeber
Taster Glass (2 posts)

Postby TampaBrew » Thu Jan 17, 2008 1:27 pm

yeah, my airlock blew off ... twice ... and it tasted off, very sour. I'll definitely give it another shot. It smelled so good when it first started fermenting.

To get a higher alcohol content, you have to ferment it in steps. In short, you do what you did, then add more rice and koji and let that ferment out. You do this a few times. then you can achieve 18-20% and it will be a finer sake.
TampaBrew
Barrel (1000 posts)

Postby Taylor-MadeAK » Sun Mar 02, 2008 3:29 pm

I couldn't help myself, I have to step in and clear this one up:

You can't take an OG reading on sake. It just doesn't work that way because you're conducting a dual parallel fermentation: the koji is converting the rice to sugar, and the yeast almost immediately consumes the sugar to produce alcohol and CO2.

If you want to find out your alcohol content, I suggest using a vinometer. Those are usually accurate to within +/- 1% ABV.
Taylor-MadeAK
Pint Glass (25 posts)

Postby TimWeber » Sun Mar 02, 2008 5:14 pm

OK, I guess a better questions would have been, Does anyone know what range ABV the Sake kit on More Flavor's website normally reaches?

Taylor, I appreciate the clarification. I brew a lot and read a lot of about beer but I do not know too much about Sake. I will study the process a bit more.
TimWeber
Taster Glass (2 posts)

Postby Taylor-MadeAK » Sun Mar 02, 2008 6:19 pm

I've never made sake from a kit, nor have I ever ordered anything from Morebeer. The description on the item in their e-store isn't very helpful (though from my experience, "just add hot water" doesn't seem like it would work), so this is not an easy question to answer. Do the instructions from your kit tell you how much water, rice, and koji is used? With that information, I could probably give you an approximation on what kind of alcohol content you're likely to achieve with it.

TimWeber wrote:I will study the process a bit more.

My site may help you with that.
Taylor-MadeAK
Pint Glass (25 posts)

Postby TimWeber » Sun Mar 02, 2008 7:01 pm

I agree, the description is not very informative. The kit is equally uninformative. It does not supply actual measurements on any of the ingredients. The instructions were basically add this much water, heat to a certain temp for a certain amount of time, and ferment for a while (it was a while ago so I don't remember the specifics).

I was close to the $59 amount to get free shipping and while looking through the site, I came across the Sake kit. Sounded interesting, and it came out really well.

I really did "just add hot water" and it a very vigorous fermentation ensued. I am not neary as experienced with Sake as I am with beer, but I thought it tasted really good.
TimWeber
Taster Glass (2 posts)

Postby Taylor-MadeAK » Sun Mar 02, 2008 11:25 pm

Well, unless a moderator or admin wants to come in here with more information regarding the kit, I can only posit a guess at the alcohol content that it would produce. I still don't see how you can dump-and-stir a sake kit (rice must be cooked first...), but I'll go with it for now. Maybe it's flaked rice or something, I dunno.

Given the doburoku method that the kit seems to be using, your maximum alcohol content will be around 14-16% v/v. There's no moromi style buildup going on, so you're probably not going to get past that level and into into the 18-20% v/v range that I get from my homebrewed sake.
Taylor-MadeAK
Pint Glass (25 posts)

Postby TampaBrew » Mon Mar 03, 2008 7:45 am

Yeah with the kit, you literally, add water (boiled) to the rice/koji. It makes sake. i think the ABV is in the 10-13 range, but not sure. i am basing that of of other similar kits.
TampaBrew
Barrel (1000 posts)

Postby Taylor-MadeAK » Mon Mar 03, 2008 1:40 pm

"Other similar kits"?? Lol this is the first time I've ever heard of such a thing, and you're telling me they're becoming downright common? Do you have any links that might be more informative than what B3 has in their e-store? I'd like to find out how they're made, if possible.
Taylor-MadeAK
Pint Glass (25 posts)

Postby TampaBrew » Mon Mar 03, 2008 2:00 pm

Yep, see that ... sake is way easier to make than you thought ;) :lol:

You could have just said "add boiled water and put it aside" instead of making a whole website.

i got my kit from B3 a while ago and have seen them all over the place for a while now. search any other online home brew shops. I am sure these kits don't make grade A award winning sake, but for the effort involved (next to none) they are great. I am by no means a sake expert, just thought it was cool to try without having to make an investment to do it.
TampaBrew
Barrel (1000 posts)

Postby Taylor-MadeAK » Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:14 am

No argument here. I don't really care for doburoku sake myself, but I'm very interested in finding out how those kits work. I guess I'm getting hung up on the whole "starch requires heat and moisture to gelatinize" angle, when really they're just using Minute Rice.
Taylor-MadeAK
Pint Glass (25 posts)

Postby TimWeber » Tue Mar 04, 2008 6:40 am

Correct me if I am wrong, but I think the instructions say to keep the mixture at 155 F for 6-8 hours. It is a little bit more work than "just add water". It was kind of simular to making yogert.
TimWeber
Taster Glass (2 posts)

Postby TampaBrew » Tue Mar 04, 2008 7:28 am

TimWeber wrote:Correct me if I am wrong, but I think the instructions say to keep the mixture at 155 F for 6-8 hours. It is a little bit more work than "just add water". It was kind of simular to making yogert.

yeah, you're right, i forgot about that step ... :) It was so long ago that i tried this.
TampaBrew
Barrel (1000 posts)

Next

Return to Sake