Koji-kin

All about sake.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Koji-kin

Postby JP » Thu Jan 31, 2008 3:24 pm

I have a new product in stock - a 100 gram packet of Koji-kin, which is the bacteria used in sake to convert the rice starch to sugar (Right?)

Anyway, I don't know much about it and have no instructions, and I am looking for someone to try some out for me. You supply the rice and yeast, I'll send you a couple of Koji-kin packs.

I'd prefer it if you have made Sake before.

PM me if you are interested.
Cheers!
JP
JP

Re: Koji-kin

Postby Tenchi_Kioto » Thu Jan 31, 2008 3:55 pm

JP wrote:I have a new product in stock - a 100 gram packet of Koji-kin, which is the bacteria used in sake to convert the rice starch to sugar (Right?)

Anyway, I don't know much about it and have no instructions, and I am looking for someone to try some out for me. You supply the rice and yeast, I'll send you a couple of Koji-kin packs.

I'd prefer it if you have made Sake before.

PM me if you are interested.

You are correct it is the mould seeds to grow on the rice to make the enzymes which then they call Kome-Koji =)

I've havent made (yet) have been reading up on the process for awhile now.. and have planned on making some soon... I would love to be a ginnie pig :D
Tenchi_Kioto
Liter Mug (100 posts)

Postby JP » Thu Jan 31, 2008 3:57 pm

I just found out that it is the koji already grown on the rice. Dont ask me how or why, it just is. PM me your info and I'll send you some to experiment with.
Cheers!
JP
JP

Postby Taylor-MadeAK » Sun Mar 02, 2008 3:22 pm

Is that Cold Mountain Koji Rice that you're talking about? Or is it the rice koji that SakeOne supplies to homebrewers through F.H. Steinbart Co.?
Taylor-MadeAK
Pint Glass (25 posts)

Postby JP » Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:34 am

It is neither, it is made in Japan by the same people who do our sake kits for us.
Cheers!
JP
JP

Postby Taylor-MadeAK » Mon Mar 03, 2008 1:38 pm

Interesting. Three and a half ounces of koji rice? That doesn't sound like a usable amount to me. Have you had a look at it yourself? If the rice kernels are yellow-green, you may have a seed packet like those used by commercial sake producers.
Taylor-MadeAK
Pint Glass (25 posts)

Postby Tenchi_Kioto » Mon Mar 03, 2008 2:16 pm

Taylor-MadeAK wrote:Interesting. Three and a half ounces of koji rice? That doesn't sound like a usable amount to me. Have you had a look at it yourself? If the rice kernels are yellow-green, you may have a seed packet like those used by commercial sake producers.

Its isnt a seed packet... it is used in a kit to do a one step batch of sake.. the cold mountain's amount is for multi-step to produce higher alc%..
I have been told you can get the kit with the smaller amount of koji and set it up to make enough to do multi-step
Tenchi_Kioto
Liter Mug (100 posts)

Postby Taylor-MadeAK » Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:26 pm

Actually, Cold Mountain Koji is made for making miso. :D
Taylor-MadeAK
Pint Glass (25 posts)

Postby Tenchi_Kioto » Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:59 pm

Taylor-MadeAK wrote:Actually, Cold Mountain Koji is made for making miso. :D

Its also used for sake

http://forum.northernbrewer.com/viewtopic.php?t=50409

he also has a great website

http://www.taylor-madeak.org/index.php/2008/02/29/how-to-make-sake-at-home-a-taylor-made-g
Tenchi_Kioto
Liter Mug (100 posts)

Postby Taylor-MadeAK » Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:06 am

Yeah, um, the dude you linked to? That's me. :lol: Thanks for the compliment, though!

I pointed out that CM Koji is made for making miso simply because I recently discovered that there are slightly different strains of koji that are used for different purposes. Now, I have no idea what strain Cold Mountain uses, but they're primarily a miso producer so it stands to reason that their koji strain would be of a type best suited to that purpose. It certainly makes good sake, however, so I still use it.

But I do want to try some other strains of koji to see what kinds of differing results I come up with. It would be an interesting experiment.
Taylor-MadeAK
Pint Glass (25 posts)

Postby baltobrewer » Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:20 am

Dude, that guide is awesome. I've never seen the process laid out so clearly. Good job! I will definitely be trying some myself in the near future. I've been wanting to do it for a while now but have always been a little off-put by the process...
Jay
___

Lime cat thinks you suck
___

ON TAP:
Dunkelweizen
Hard Cider
Kolsch

FERMENTING:
Kolsch
baltobrewer
Barrel (1000 posts)

Postby Taylor-MadeAK » Tue Mar 04, 2008 1:20 pm

I'm glad you like it, Jay. :D
Taylor-MadeAK
Pint Glass (25 posts)

Re: Koji-kin

Postby addseo2015 » Wed Jun 10, 2015 1:23 am

it is used in a kit to do a one step batch of sake.
holiday palace ผ่านเว็บ
addseo2015
Empty Glass (<2 posts)

Return to Sake