Sakeeeeeeee!

All about sake.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Sakeeeeeeee!

Postby usmcruz » Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:21 pm

Im just wondering, because when I sit around too long I think too much, has anyone used flaked rice to make sake?
"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter"
Ernest Hemmingway
usmcruz
Addict (5000 posts)

Postby baltobrewer » Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:29 am

For the amount of rice you need, flaked rice would make the batch very expensive. Why would you want to use it? The Koji will self-convert the rice all on its own.......
Jay
___

Lime cat thinks you suck
___

ON TAP:
Dunkelweizen
Hard Cider
Kolsch

FERMENTING:
Kolsch
baltobrewer
Barrel (1000 posts)

Postby usmcruz » Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:02 pm

Just sitting around with nothing to do, just thinking up crap. I used to make excellent sake in Okinawa, Japan. I used to pick up some kogi, from the local sake plant on the island. A local buddy of mine worked there. I used to be able to get the real polished saki rice. Namada Nishiki is what it was called. The rice was polished real nice, almost translucent. Anyways it made the best sake Ive ever tasted homebrewed wise. Even my Japanese friend was impressed. Sincel leaving Okinawa, I cant find that rice anywhere, but I know somewhere in the U.S, they have cultivated it, and are using it in U.S, sake brewery's. The flaked rice popped in my head, as I was staring at it on my table.
"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter"
Ernest Hemmingway
usmcruz
Addict (5000 posts)

Postby Taylor-MadeAK » Sun Mar 02, 2008 3:20 pm

Would you mind citing a source? Because I've yet to find any evidence to the effect that anyone is growing yamada nishiki rice in America. The Japanese pretty jealously guard all of their prized sake rices, and historically have never allowed them to be exported.

The short grain rice used in American sake (at least at SakeOne) is a variety called California Akito Maki, according to F.H. Steinbart Co. I think it would be pretty safe to assume that the Japanese-owned sake producers in this country probably use the same rice.
Taylor-MadeAK
Pint Glass (25 posts)

Return to Sake