getting started at last

All about sake.

Moderator: Moderator Team

getting started at last

Postby stardust » Sun Jul 27, 2008 8:19 pm

Soaking the rice for 18 hrs to make koji - after steaming the spores need to grow for 40 hours
the colander had holes that were too big for calrose rice and many of the grains got stuck in the holes
NBD will use the strainer for the next batch of rice
Moto (酛)
Prepare 2.5 cups (600 ml) of cold water by adding 0.75 tsp (4 gm) yeast nutrient and a pinch (0.7 gm) of Epsom salt and stirring until completely dissolved. Then add 0.5 cup (115 gm) of koji and stir it into the water. Put this into the fridge at the same time as you put your rice to soak for steaming.

What do I do with the home made koji - before more needs to be added - keep it in the fridge?
stardust
Pitcher (300 posts)

Re: getting started at last

Postby Taylor-MadeAK » Mon Jul 28, 2008 6:38 pm

Fridge or freezer. Either is sufficient.

Line your colander with cheesecloth next time. It'll keep your rice in the pan and, as a nice added bonus, it makes de-panning the rice a whole lot easier.
Taylor-MadeAK
Pint Glass (25 posts)

Postby stardust » Fri Aug 01, 2008 12:32 am

A strainer used for rinsing the rice worked very well.

The yeast from the blown out smack pack smells sooo good. :D
This is the first smack pack I ever used. One of chambers of the plastic inside pack had not busted so I opened that one up with sanitized scissors to put in yeast starter.
Made a regular starter* to:
Use in the plum wine that I'm going to add to the sake so I will have enough sake yeast for both sake and wine. (This is not how you said to do it, but after drinking some black orchard plum sake, I decided to do it this way. I had 2 ounces or less at this point in time, expensive stuff :shock: ).
To make sure the yeast is viable.

The wine must is thicker than the combined recipes say , since it is going to be used as and additive. 8 lbs plums, 5 lbs regular sugar 1 1/2 gallons of water.
I need some advice on how to filter this mess when adding to the sake, It will be quite pulpy. The plums were frozen from fresh.

The Kome-Koji turned out well, perfect fine strands of white mold growing on it and looks just like this
http://www.tibbs-vision.com/maltrice/komegrainLres.jpg
It took longer than 40 hours to grow because:
I placed the SS pot of rice and koji kin on a heating pad that was wrapped in several layers of thick towel. I checked the temp once an hour for 4 hours. :twisted: The temp went up to 100.2, which is too hot. It should stay at 86 F and will die if hotter that that.
There was no way for me to keep the temp steady at 86, house temp is 74 F. It took about 48 hours and it made its own heat. The bottom of the pan was warm when I added it to the 2.5 cups of water with ¾ t Epsom salts. I don’t have a scale that will measure in such small amounts as 4 grams (500 gram scale with 10 grams being the smallest measurement).
I’m wondering if somewhere along the line I should decrease the amount of water, the sake starter will be 2 cups?

*1 qt de-chlorinated boiled H20 with 6 T corn sugar, cooled, 1 tsp yeast energizer, shake, add yeast, air lock, let sit 12 to 18 hrs
stardust
Pitcher (300 posts)

Postby Taylor-MadeAK » Fri Aug 01, 2008 12:02 pm

I have no advice for your first question other than just racking off of the pulp. As for your second question...if I understand you correctly, you're wondering if you should decrease the water you use in your sake process to account for the amount added from the starter? If that's the case, why don't you just decant most of the starter and just pitch the slurry?
Taylor-MadeAK
Pint Glass (25 posts)

Return to Sake