Sake fermentation temps...

All about sake.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Sake fermentation temps...

Postby thetooth » Thu Oct 16, 2008 5:03 pm

I was reading Taylor-MadeAK's excellent sake site and noticed that the fermentation temps suggested were down in the 50's. The best I can do right now is about 70 degrees. I live in Southern California, so there will never be a natural ability to keep a fermenter in the low 50's without a fermentation fridge.

Would I still be able to make decent sake at 70 degrees, or do I need to hold off on this endeavor until I can finally get a fermentation fridge (hopefully sometime next year)?
thetooth
Micro Brewery (2500 posts)

Re: Sake fermentation temps...

Postby Taylor-MadeAK » Thu Oct 16, 2008 7:09 pm

Fermenting sake at 70ºF will almost invariably result in a very sour, very harsh tasting sake. I wouldn't recommend trying it, but the final call is yours. 8)
Taylor-MadeAK
Pint Glass (25 posts)

Postby thetooth » Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:59 am

Taylor-MadeAK wrote:Fermenting sake at 70ºF will almost invariably result in a very sour, very harsh tasting sake. I wouldn't recommend trying it, but the final call is yours. 8)

Thanks. That's all I needed to know. I don't want to spend the time and energy to make something that will suck in the end.

Looks like I'll have to hold off on the sake experiment until next year... just like lagering.

Thanks again for all the great info!
thetooth
Micro Brewery (2500 posts)

Postby Taylor-MadeAK » Fri Oct 17, 2008 12:35 pm

No problem! :mrgreen:
Taylor-MadeAK
Pint Glass (25 posts)

Return to Sake