would this be sake?

All about sake.

Moderator: Moderator Team

would this be sake?

Postby rookie » Sat Jul 09, 2011 8:16 am

Can rice syrup be fermented into something like sake?
Steve,
"I'm a man, but I can change; if I have to, I guess"
The man's prayer from the Red Green show on PBS>
rookie
Keg (750 posts)

Re: would this be sake?

Postby hwasone » Sat Jul 09, 2011 9:00 am

in short, no, not really. give it a try and see what you get. it won't be what most would consider properly made sake, but you might like it. try a really neutral (or maybe English?) strain. also keep in mind that a lot of sake is filtered, and the unfiltered stuff... some i've loved, some i've hated...

sake's a little weird because it's not a straightforward cereal mash and fermentation process. as i understand it, the "mashing" is done by the same bugs that ferment, basically at the same time as fermentation.

here's your basic wikipedia info http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sake#Brewing

fyi, i haven't made any sake... yet. but i do enjoy going down to my corner shop and pulling something off the shelf in the 1000-2000 yen range to share with whoever happens to be around.

a note on terminology: sake, or "osake" (お酒) as we usually say here... just means booze. but unless you specify whiskey, beer, wine, etc, it's assumed you're talking about sake as we know it in the West. in the summer, you better believe i'm drinking only "hiyazake" - the chilled stuff (冷酒), which also tends to be of better quality than the heated stuff. the idea behind heating is to hide/drive off the flaws, again contrasting with beer.

乾杯!
Jason
hwasone
Barrel (1000 posts)

Return to Sake