Sake

All about sake.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Re: Filtering Sake

Postby timothykinney » Wed Jan 04, 2006 12:38 pm

I going to have to revisit what clarifiers I have and which will work best to further pack the lees. I also tried running some of the milky pressed liquid through a coffee filter and it plugged it without releasing a drop. The brew can't be more than "hazy" before you pass it through the coffee filter.

I'd be interested in what you come up with.
The founders of our nation were brewers and distillers. What can we say about our current leaders?
timothykinney
Pint Glass (25 posts)

Postby Trident Trishula » Sun Apr 02, 2006 7:15 pm

Hello Rice Wine Drinkers,

So I just finished my first shot at this sake trip and got about what you seem to have gotten; a couple of pitchers of rice milk, of questionable alchoholic content. I mean, it's thick. But since this is my first try, I give it the benefit.

From what I read, you need to steam the rice for the kome-koji and for the brewing rice so that it gets the right amount of moisture, about 45%, but less that what you get from just boiling rice or making it in a rice cooker. That seems to be part one. On my next attempt I'm going to make sure it gets pretty rubbery on the outside, but firm on the inside.

Next thing is maintaining the temp. for the koji-kin to do its work. Here I can't really find much specific stuff. The mold doesn't like light, but it likes to be at 86 degrees F. for 40 hours. In that 40 hour period you should get a cheesy smelling kome-koji, with mixing it up every twelve hours. The Vision people suggest a quart pop bottle filled with hot water, wrapped in a blanket, in a drink cooler. Do any of you have something more better to get the mold to grow well? I've heard of various solutions.

Now I'm ready to try to intermediate recipe that uses the lactic acid trip. I think I'll just pasteurize my two pitchers, bottle and put them in a dark place, and try them in a month or two.

Anybody else having success with this drink? They say everybody in Japan liked the cloudy drink in the olden days, but it got outlawed.

Yrs,

The Trident in Halifax
Trident Trishula
Empty Glass (<2 posts)

Postby Pizzagod » Tue Apr 04, 2006 2:15 pm

I made the B3 sake kit, and it's happily sitting in a gallon glass jug. It has been done for a few weeks, but I just haven't had a chance to transfer (or drink) it.

Other than the rice sitting at the bottom, my sake is almost as clear as water. I didn't need to do anything other than follow the instructions.

So, how should someone drink this? Cooled? Warmed? Room temperature?
Pizzagod

Postby wrplace » Sat Apr 08, 2006 7:00 pm

Drink it chilled if it is good sake. Heat it if it is kinda harsh. I chose to let it sit in the back of the fridge for months as mine is a little more sour than I like. I have some overly-sweet plum wine that I intend to blend it with.
Warren
wrplace
Liter Mug (100 posts)

Postby Backglass » Sat Apr 08, 2006 7:09 pm

Trident Trishula wrote:They say everybody in Japan liked the cloudy drink in the olden days, but it got outlawed.

Not true. I had Nigori-zake (cloudy) in Japan last spring.
Last edited by Backglass on Sun May 14, 2006 4:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Barry - NY

"A brewer is YOU!"

--------

On Tap: Jamil's Chocolate Hazelnut Porter, Gnome Rootbeer, Hard Lemonade, Schwartzbier
Conditioning: Rogue I2PA
Fermenting: ---
Starter: ---
Backglass
Barrel (1000 posts)

Postby Cazador » Thu Apr 20, 2006 4:47 pm

pizzagod

There is a step where you need to keep the mixture at 100 degrees for 5-6 hours. How did you do this? Can't imagine heating a carboy?
Cazador
Pint Glass (25 posts)

Re: Filtering Sake

Postby wrplace » Sun May 14, 2006 12:30 am

timothykinney wrote:
I going to have to revisit what clarifiers I have and which will work best to further pack the lees. I also tried running some of the milky pressed liquid through a coffee filter and it plugged it without releasing a drop. The brew can't be more than "hazy" before you pass it through the coffee filter.

I'd be interested in what you come up with.

I ended up settling the sake for 4 months at near freezing temps (in my lager fridge) and it finally cleared. It still isn't brilliant, but it'll do. Sake is a beverage I probably won't repeat. Beer is more to my liking and seems much easier.
Warren
wrplace
Liter Mug (100 posts)

Postby Pizzagod » Tue May 16, 2006 1:25 pm

I ended up heating it in a "Crock Pot". It got me the closest to the required temp.

If you have a crock pot, and want to see what the actual temperatures get to at the different settings (I think mine has low, med, and high), heat up some water, and check it with a thermometer.

You may have to play with it (turn it on and off, over the 5-6 hours), but the lowest setting should get you close.

Cazador wrote:pizzagod

There is a step where you need to keep the mixture at 100 degrees for 5-6 hours. How did you do this? Can't imagine heating a carboy?
Pizzagod

Postby walkie74 » Mon Oct 30, 2006 1:33 pm

I don't suppose anyone knows why my sake became yellow? I followed the Vision brewing instructions with their package...
walkie74
Taster Glass (2 posts)

Postby scottl3 » Fri Nov 10, 2006 10:23 am

I just bottled my first batch of sake, taste test was pretty good.
Almost as good as the cold unfiltered stuff from Matsuri's in Benicia !
I'll let it go another 3 weeks in the bottle, should be better by then.
I wanted to use 10 oz bottles, but couldn't find them.
Anyone have a source for small bottles ??

Thanks,

Scott
Life doesn't get much better than making juice of the Gods
scottl3
Pint Glass (25 posts)

Postby Clumsy Dwarf » Mon Nov 13, 2006 10:00 pm

My friends then pregnant wife is from Vietnam and she failed at making some traditional rice wine with some dried yeast cakes she bought at the market in China town. So we ordered that B3 Sake kit and Brewed it up in August out here in Vegas by putting it all in a carboy in the 105 F shade. In September we strained the milky wine in a new hops bag and then racked it off this past Sunday. Thier daughter is 12 days old now so the Sake should be really good and mature when she is done doing the natural feeding thing in a year or so. My friends wife tasted it and approved.

walkie74 wrote:I don't suppose anyone knows why my sake became yellow? I followed the Vision brewing instructions with their package...

As for the color it was clear with a slight yellow tint. I think that it just needs to sit for a long time to let gravity pull it down.

We tested the remainder that was close to the trub. It was good, though I don't like the chalky texture of the trub. If we do it again I'd do a a double batch to get more of the clear Sake since we don't have a V-vesel.
Jason

"When only tool hammer, every problem look like nail"
Clumsy Dwarf
Taster Glass (2 posts)

Previous

Return to Sake