Anyone Brew Sake?

All about sake.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Postby Triple Freak » Sat May 01, 2004 8:48 am

homebrewer wrote:
Comrade wrote:Seems to me the Koji and other microbes necessary would be difficult to manager, let alone get ahold of.

The problem I had was just getting the koji spores. Mine turned out pretty good but I gave it up. The available commercial Sake's were just simply better than I could produce. Very reasonably priced too.

I know of several online sources of Koji spores. Do a Google search & you'll find lots of them.
Triple Freak

Postby Mr Peat » Mon May 03, 2004 4:42 pm

I found this about sake and now interesting in brewing in. There is a brew shop in St Josesph, Mo that sells it but they are out of the Koji atm.

I read this link which seems pretty good but then again, I maybe on crack.

http://www.geocities.co.jp/Foodpia/1751/sake.html

Yeah, yeah, its on geocities, but take a honest look. :twisted:
Mr Peat
Barrel (1000 posts)

Postby jamilz » Mon May 03, 2004 4:52 pm

So, it seems like I should probably start a sake forum and move these posts there, right?

I'll put it in with the meads, ciders, etc.
I hope my post helped you in some way. If not, please private message me and let me know.

A proud member of QUAFF, DOZE, WZZ, and the AHA.
Check out the yeast pitching calculator at:
http://www.mrmalty.com
Check out the archives to my radio show at:
http://www.thebrewingnetwork.com/jamil.php
jamilz
Barrel (1000 posts)

Postby wrplace » Mon Jul 18, 2005 8:26 pm

jamilz wrote:So, it seems like I should probably start a sake forum and move these posts there, right?

I'll put it in with the meads, ciders, etc.

Hey Jamil,
I don't mean to be a pain in the ass, but if you could find time to complete the above I'd be an even bigger fan. I do really appretiate all your work on this board (and the other resources I see you on around the net).

I'm planning a Sake brew in the next week and am sure that I'll have questions or comments about the process.
Warren
wrplace
Liter Mug (100 posts)

Postby JP » Tue Jul 19, 2005 9:54 am

We have these Sake kits (http://www.morebeer.com/product.html?product_id=6004) that have teh koji, yeast and all of that ready to go. It only makes 1/4 of a gallon, but it is a good way to get a culture of koji going. If you want to make more, just add more polished rice.
Cheers!
JP
JP

Postby Mr Peat » Thu Jul 28, 2005 4:11 pm

1/4 of a gallon of Sake could be more than enough. Especially if its like the Mad Dog 20/20 Sake I have. :twisted: You cant even drink this stuff warm. Granted I love the smell, but what can you expect from like a $2 bottle? :shock:

Mental note: When you tell a friend visiting another country, dont bring back Mad Dog 20/20 quality hooch. :lol:

But I am very curious in trying this kit. Has anyone and if so, how does it taste? :D
Mr Peat
Barrel (1000 posts)

Postby wrplace » Thu Jul 28, 2005 5:58 pm

Ginger wrote:I've also thought about trying sake - found this site to order the koji. It also has some brewing instruction. Maybe I'll get around to it someday.

http://www.tibbs-vision.com/sake/

I bought the 10 gm packet of Vision BC's Koji at my LHBS, http://go.to/homebrew_outlet for $10. I haven't had a chance to grow it up yet, but I'm hoping to get to it this weekend.
Warren
wrplace
Liter Mug (100 posts)

Postby wrplace » Thu Aug 04, 2005 1:46 pm

wrplace wrote:
Ginger wrote:I've also thought about trying sake - found this site to order the koji. It also has some brewing instruction. Maybe I'll get around to it someday.

http://www.tibbs-vision.com/sake/

I bought the 10 gm packet of Vision BC's Koji at my LHBS, http://go.to/homebrew_outlet for $10. I haven't had a chance to grow it up yet, but I'm hoping to get to it this weekend.

Well, the sake Kome-koji (malt rice) is fermenting and smells good though a little cheesy. The propagation of kome-koji is a little wierd from a brewer's perspective. Basically, it amounts to sprinkling spores over cooked rice and mixing it around. It's not as "wet" as a normal malt mash. It hard to imagine this will become a beverage.
Warren
wrplace
Liter Mug (100 posts)

Postby hey!2na » Wed Aug 10, 2005 4:08 am

From a brewer's perspective, how's this for weird. I recall reading several years ago from somewhere in the Pacific about a homebrew made by chewing up manioc really well (I think it's the plant that is used to make poi), then spitting it into a big pot. That's a lot of work, so usually it took several participants expectorating into the pot. It fermented over 24 hours and was ready to drink. Yum! No, I don't care to try the process personally, but the writer who described this did try the beverage and said it wasn't bad.
hey!2na
Pint Glass (25 posts)

My sake experience

Postby mattwimmer » Wed Oct 26, 2005 3:51 pm

I brewed some once using koji I got from a Japanese supermarket. There is a book, Sake USA (I think) that tells all about how to do it. Its out of print now but you might be able to find it on Ebay or Abe Books. Its pretty complicated if you want to make really good sake. There are also some easier recipes. I made one for cloudy (unfiltered) sake and it wasn't bad at all - had a nice green apple flavor & was good cold. Oh my God though, the hangover! My wife & I killed a 22 oz bottle between us, which was enough to get a pretty good buzz on. However, it still wasn't enough that I would have expected any kind of hangover the next day, let alone the monster wear-dark-glasses, must-you-eat-your-cereal-so-loudly hangover we both had. :evil:
mattwimmer
Taster Glass (2 posts)

Postby Backglass » Thu Oct 27, 2005 8:49 am

I am also a Sake fan, and would like to try my hand at brewing it.
Barry - NY

"A brewer is YOU!"

--------

On Tap: Jamil's Chocolate Hazelnut Porter, Gnome Rootbeer, Hard Lemonade, Schwartzbier
Conditioning: Rogue I2PA
Fermenting: ---
Starter: ---
Backglass
Barrel (1000 posts)

Postby Pizzagod » Thu Dec 08, 2005 1:16 pm

Well, it looks like I'll be brewing some sake.

I have been considering trying it for the past month or so. Never getting around to it though. Then, this past Monday night (at our local homebrew club's Christmas party) I won a B3 sake kit in the raffle. So, within the next couple of weeks, I should have it going.

The most-difficult part of the recipe is keeping it at 100 degrees for around 5 hours. I was thinking about doing it in the oven, and someone here at work suggested using a crock pot.

I'm open for suggestions, but for now, I'm leaning toward the crock-pot idea.
Pizzagod

Postby Homegrown Hops » Sun Dec 11, 2005 1:33 am

hey!2na wrote:From a brewer's perspective, how's this for weird. I recall reading several years ago from somewhere in the Pacific about a homebrew made by chewing up manioc really well (I think it's the plant that is used to make poi), then spitting it into a big pot. That's a lot of work, so usually it took several participants expectorating into the pot. It fermented over 24 hours and was ready to drink. Yum! No, I don't care to try the process personally, but the writer who described this did try the beverage and said it wasn't bad.

Well that doesnt sound that wierd at all. My mycology professor Terry Henkel wrote a paper a few years back about this tribe of natives in Guayana who uses the Cassava and Rhizopus to produce beer like a drink called Parakari. They take the toxic cassava tubers and following a complex dual fermentation technique involving a primary starch hydrolysis by Rhizopus which is an amylolytic fungus they have been culturing for who knows how long in the jungle of South America. Some tribes still use the original method of chewing the roasted tuber to break down the starch and spit it into the I° fermenter. I have the paper in hard copy only but if anyone is interested I can see if I can get it on pdf.

HH
Watermelon What?

21st Amendment
Homegrown Hops
Pitcher (300 posts)

Postby timothykinney » Wed Jan 04, 2006 12:45 pm

Well that doesnt sound that wierd at all. My mycology professor Terry Henkel wrote a paper a few years back about this tribe of natives in Guayana who uses the Cassava and Rhizopus to produce beer like a drink called Parakari. They take the toxic cassava tubers and following a complex dual fermentation technique involving a primary starch hydrolysis by Rhizopus which is an amylolytic fungus they have been culturing for who knows how long in the jungle of South America. Some tribes still use the original method of chewing the roasted tuber to break down the starch and spit it into the I° fermenter. I have the paper in hard copy only but if anyone is interested I can see if I can get it on pdf.

I'm interested in this paper if you can manage it. I was wondering about the chew-and-spit drinks recently.

-Tim
The founders of our nation were brewers and distillers. What can we say about our current leaders?
timothykinney
Pint Glass (25 posts)

Previous

Return to Sake