so how much smoke are we talking about anyway.

General discussions on home roasting

Moderator: Moderator Team

so how much smoke are we talking about anyway.

Postby aceman » Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:00 pm

I was think about using our whirly pop (which we actually use for popcorn) for some home roasting. The problem is I don't have any outdoor space and I don't have a exhaust vent on my stove. I do have very high ceilings however.

Does home roasting create a lot of smoke or just a little?
aceman
6 Pack (200 posts)

Postby YoSpud » Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:26 pm

i have to tell you -- a lot.

i tried oven roasting, and it set off all the smoke detectors in the house.

i tried 'dog bowl roasting' in the garage with the kind of heat gun that you use to peel paint, and it woke up everyone in the house.

i gave a real coffee roaster to my brother in law, and it creates smoke -- not as much as the informal methods but still appreciable.

incredible coffee, i must say.
Last edited by YoSpud on Tue Jun 13, 2006 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
YoSpud
Taster Glass (2 posts)

Postby cooldaddybeck » Tue Jun 13, 2006 3:54 pm

I have a vent and haven't noticed a lot of smoke (for that reason).

It doesn't take a JennAir burner to roast coffee. In fact, a JennAir burner will give you black beans in a couple minutes. Trust me.

You can invest just a couple dollars in a simple and small burner, even the camping kind, and you should be fine for coffee roasting anywhere.

:0)
Water, Grain, Hops, Yeast: combine, age, consume.

"You remind me of that scene from Zoolander....the one where the male models are dancing while spraying each other with gasoline..."
~SWMBO

"If there is anything that this horrible tragedy can teach us, it's that a male model's life is a precious, precious commodity. Just because we have chiseled abs and stunning features, it doesn't mean that we too can't not die in a freak gasoline fight accident. " ~Derek Zoolander
cooldaddybeck
Micro Brewery (2500 posts)

Postby ChrisL » Wed Jun 14, 2006 7:19 am

I used to sometimes stick my roaster in the fireplace with the flew open but it still got smoke in the house. Plus the smoke irritates my kid's eyes. I always go outside now.

I'll never forget the first time I used my freshroast roaster inside. I took the beans well past second crack. Smoke was everywhere, all smoke alarms were going off, and it took days for the smelll to finally go away.
On Tap: Pirate's Porter, Chocolate Imperial Stout, S.O.B.
Fermenting/Conditioning: Barleywine, IPA^2, 60 Schilling; Kolsch; Belgian Dubbel

It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.
ChrisL
Pitcher (300 posts)

Postby BrewBum » Wed Jun 14, 2006 7:44 am

Hot air popper works great too, but smokes as well and I do it outside. Only the negative I have found with roasting at home.
Nate
Guess what... I got a fever and the only prescription... is more cowbell!
http://www.Nebraskabeerblog.com
BrewBum

Postby baltobrewer » Thu Jul 05, 2007 12:06 pm

ChrisL wrote:I'll never forget the first time I used my freshroast roaster inside. I took the beans well past second crack. Smoke was everywhere, all smoke alarms were going off, and it took days for the smelll to finally go away.

The first time I used my roaster the beans were oily and black, as was the plume of smoke filling my house. I normally roast outside if it's at all possible. My wife and I were like, WTF?!? what do we do? Once the smoke is in the house it's basically there until it decides to go away...

:D
Jay
___

Lime cat thinks you suck
___

ON TAP:
Dunkelweizen
Hard Cider
Kolsch

FERMENTING:
Kolsch
baltobrewer