Blew up my Z & D roaster today!

General discussions on home roasting

Moderator: Moderator Team

Blew up my Z & D roaster today!

Postby Lee Theuriet » Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:00 pm

The roaster was about 2 years old. I started roasting this morning outside the garage and was doing else at the same time in the garage. I started noticing an ugly burnt smell. The Z & D roaster was smoking so bad I had to shut it off. I guess it was just after first crack. The machine was stopped, and the beans were nearly molten. It was hot, even in the morning, here in Lodi, CA. Did I have a spontaneous combustion, or was it time for the Z & D to just pass away? Anybody have this experience?

Lee
Lee Theuriet
Liter Mug (100 posts)

Postby Ginger » Tue Jul 10, 2007 12:17 pm

Had that happen to my Z&D last year. In my case, a chunk of bean got caught under the auger, and stopped it from turning - beans burnt, and the Z&D was dead. After I replaced it, I read on the CoffeeGeek board that my problem may have just been a thermal fuse that burnt out. Replacing it involves dismantling the machine. You might look for that thread on CoffeeGeek, and give it a try.
Ginger
Taster Glass (2 posts)

Postby Lee Theuriet » Tue Jul 10, 2007 4:22 pm

Ginger,

Thanks for the reply...the information you state could very well have caused the problem. I trashed the whole thing because it smelled so bad!

Truth be known, I could have kept the thing cleaner. And if a bean did get stuck, well, you know what happened.

I think I'm going to save up and get some sort of drum roaster. They look like they could last forever. In the mean time, just down the street from me, is Java City. Since this coffee house has a roaster, a big one imported from Italy, capable of doing 25 pound batches, I've asked if they could roast my inventory on hand. We have a deal set up so that I can get a couple pounds of fresh roasted coffee weekly for a small amount of homebrew! Such a deal!

Thanks again for your imput.

Lee
Lee Theuriet
Liter Mug (100 posts)

Return to Home Roasting