Ordering beans for my first crack at it.

General discussions on home roasting

Moderator: Moderator Team

Ordering beans for my first crack at it.

Postby vw addict » Sun Aug 19, 2007 1:36 pm

I'm going to give the ole popcorn popper a whirl and see what happens. Any suggestions from you experienced types? I have been reading thru pages and pages of stuff all afternoon, so I'm pretty sure I have a handle on it. Any suggestions for beans for the first time roaster? Anything easier than another, or is it the same no matter what you get?
vw addict
Pint Glass (25 posts)

Postby MDixon » Sun Aug 19, 2007 5:33 pm

Get a bean that can stand to go into Full City+ or French Roast. That way you can experience first and second crack without worrying. I roasted in a hot air popper for 7 or so years before I switched to my current roasting in a converted bread machine.

I always used the popper by feel (and appearance). On my model I preheated and put in the beans and then removed the butter tray to be able to see what was going on.
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!
MDixon
Barrel (1000 posts)

Postby vw addict » Sun Aug 19, 2007 6:47 pm

MDixon wrote:Get a bean that can stand to go into Full City+ or French Roast.

any suggestions? I like all varieties of coffee, so any suggestions to some beans that are maybe, more forgiving for a beginner.
vw addict
Pint Glass (25 posts)

Postby MDixon » Mon Aug 20, 2007 4:17 am

Till you brew with them, beans for the most part, are beans. They will differ in size and appearance, sometimes dramatically. Just get some that will easily roast into that range and have a flavor description that sounds like something you would enjoy...whatever happens the beans will be better than most anything you have picked up at the grocery store...;)
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!
MDixon
Barrel (1000 posts)

Postby vw addict » Mon Aug 20, 2007 5:18 am

I get my beans from a local roaster, it still just seems that they aren't that fresh. They have a Nicaraguan and a Peruvean coffee that I really like. Maybe I'll try to get some of those to start with and see what happens.
vw addict
Pint Glass (25 posts)

Postby cooldaddybeck » Tue Aug 21, 2007 8:25 am

I've been very happy with the results from both Nicaraguan and Peruvian in my Whirly Pop roasting. You shouldn't have issues regardless of the bean. I've done light roasts with Ethiopian and dark french roasts with Columbian, plus everything in-between.

:0)
Water, Grain, Hops, Yeast: combine, age, consume.

"You remind me of that scene from Zoolander....the one where the male models are dancing while spraying each other with gasoline..."
~SWMBO

"If there is anything that this horrible tragedy can teach us, it's that a male model's life is a precious, precious commodity. Just because we have chiseled abs and stunning features, it doesn't mean that we too can't not die in a freak gasoline fight accident. " ~Derek Zoolander
cooldaddybeck
Micro Brewery (2500 posts)

Return to Home Roasting