Whirley Pop troubles

General discussions on home roasting

Moderator: Moderator Team

Whirley Pop troubles

Postby cooldaddybeck » Sun Sep 09, 2007 7:23 pm

Well, my second whirly pop went on me early in my roast. The first time the plastic gears got all gummed up after using for about a year. This time, the screw that holds the spindle in place was pushed out, stripping the plastic and preventing it from gripping the spindle and spinning it.

So I tossed my beans on a cookie sheet and baked them at 445 for 12 minutes and ended up with a medium-full city roast and minimal smoke. I guess it's about time I bought a roaster with a bit more durability, although I am seriously considering building one on my own until the Behmor is available.

:0)
Water, Grain, Hops, Yeast: combine, age, consume.

"You remind me of that scene from Zoolander....the one where the male models are dancing while spraying each other with gasoline..."
~SWMBO

"If there is anything that this horrible tragedy can teach us, it's that a male model's life is a precious, precious commodity. Just because we have chiseled abs and stunning features, it doesn't mean that we too can't not die in a freak gasoline fight accident. " ~Derek Zoolander
cooldaddybeck
Micro Brewery (2500 posts)

Postby MDixon » Mon Sep 10, 2007 4:00 am

I'm really having great results with an old bread machine on which I rewired to have the motor turn continuously. Using a heat gun I roast the beans and an old glass lid on the side to hold a bit more heat. The BM I selected did not run continuously enough to perform the roast so the rewiring of the stirring motor was necessary.
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!
MDixon
Barrel (1000 posts)

Postby cooldaddybeck » Mon Sep 10, 2007 5:48 am

I've seen a lot of designs out there. The simplest seems to be the electric skillet modified with a motor added to stir the beans.

The heat gun method looks good too, as the heat source is contained and separated...

we'll see what I can come up with this week. I brewed some of my oven coffee this morning to test it out and will report on it later (I've been up for an hour watching the news and still haven't gotten to my coffee...)
Water, Grain, Hops, Yeast: combine, age, consume.

"You remind me of that scene from Zoolander....the one where the male models are dancing while spraying each other with gasoline..."
~SWMBO

"If there is anything that this horrible tragedy can teach us, it's that a male model's life is a precious, precious commodity. Just because we have chiseled abs and stunning features, it doesn't mean that we too can't not die in a freak gasoline fight accident. " ~Derek Zoolander
cooldaddybeck
Micro Brewery (2500 posts)

Return to Home Roasting