Whirley Pop has been upgraded

General discussions on home roasting

Moderator: Moderator Team

Whirley Pop has been upgraded

Postby cooldaddybeck » Mon Sep 10, 2007 8:32 pm

I have temporarily resolved my WP troubles by creating the "Whirley Pop on crack"

Basically, I got a 12" hex lock extender, cut off the bracket covering the gears, removed the gears (the bottom one was already spinning in place) and set it up with more power.

Note to self, start with a fresh battery on the drill. I swapped batteries towards the second crack (Monsooned Java Arabica) and when I kicked in on the new battery a handful of beans shot out of the lid. :0)

Water, Grain, Hops, Yeast: combine, age, consume.

"You remind me of that scene from Zoolander....the one where the male models are dancing while spraying each other with gasoline..."
~SWMBO

"If there is anything that this horrible tragedy can teach us, it's that a male model's life is a precious, precious commodity. Just because we have chiseled abs and stunning features, it doesn't mean that we too can't not die in a freak gasoline fight accident. " ~Derek Zoolander
cooldaddybeck
Micro Brewery (2500 posts)

Postby cooldaddybeck » Mon Sep 10, 2007 8:33 pm

Sorry about the size, I didn't realize it was so big.

(yeah, yeah, I know already. It's also what she said.)

"You remind me of that scene from Zoolander....the one where the male models are dancing while spraying each other with gasoline..."
~SWMBO

"If there is anything that this horrible tragedy can teach us, it's that a male model's life is a precious, precious commodity. Just because we have chiseled abs and stunning features, it doesn't mean that we too can't not die in a freak gasoline fight accident. " ~Derek Zoolander
cooldaddybeck

Postby MDixon » Tue Sep 11, 2007 5:18 am

I'd think if you could rig it as a right angle you might have less wear and tear on the microwave, of course you may also then be a bit close for comfort to the burner...
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/D ... mber=92188
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/D ... mber=92187

Have you seen this (The Lone Roaster about 2/3 down the page)...
http://www.sweetmarias.com/homemade-homeroasters.html
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!
MDixon
Barrel (1000 posts)

Postby cooldaddybeck » Tue Sep 11, 2007 6:11 am

I found a right angle converter for the chuck, but I liked the $5 solution for now. And I hold onto it, it doesn't really just sit in the micro like that.

Eventually I'll have the right angle and set up a stand for the drill, the 12" extender takes the drill well beyond the heat radiation.

~SWMBO

cooldaddybeck

Return to Home Roasting