New I-Roast 2 Temperature Reads Low - no dark roast.

General discussions on home roasting

Moderator: Moderator Team

New I-Roast 2 Temperature Reads Low - no dark roast.

Postby Travis » Sat Sep 29, 2007 5:18 pm

Hello all. I just received my new I-roast 2 yesterday from Morecoffee. I have now roasted 3 batches total, 2 Ethiopian and 1 Guatamalan. I roasted all 3 batches in the garage... It's about 60 degrees today.

I did the first batch using preset 1. I got a nice light roast.

I did the second two batches (one of each coffee) using the preset 2 and got what appears to be the identical roast. It definately roasted for 11:30 minutes, but the roast degree did not change at all.

On the second two roasts I tried checking the temperature. I also moved it to my workbench so that i could plug directly into the outlet without an extension chord. Power in the garage shouldn't be an issue with a 30 amp circuit.

The hottest the roaster ever read when i pressed the button was 317 degrees F. The warm up cycle on the third roast was 290 max.

Is this normal? I have read on sweet marias that the internal temp is sometimes low. I can live with that, but I can't see how to get a very dark roast with this thing yet. I know I can program the roaster to have high temps but I thought i would ask here first before I ruined a batch.

Thanks,
Travis
Travis
Taster Glass (2 posts)

update

Postby Travis » Mon Oct 01, 2007 7:02 pm

I tested my roaster with a thermometer tonight. The hottest the air at the top got was 440 on roast stage 1 (close enough to 450 in the chamber i think)

The internal thermometer read 336!

That is WAAAAAAAAAAY off.....

I left the roaster inside all day in the 70 degree house and did the roast cycle with no beans in it to test the temp.

So it appears to be reaching temp....just not reading temp. Is this normal? Does it really affect me that much?

Thanks,
Travis
Travis
Taster Glass (2 posts)

Postby jc » Tue Oct 02, 2007 8:18 am

Hi Travis,

I was suspecting the same thing with my IRoast2. The temps usually read between 330 and 360, sometimes a bit higher. But I always thought they had to be into the 400's to actually roast beans.

John
jc
Liter Mug (100 posts)

Postby Travis » Sat Nov 03, 2007 6:12 pm

For anyone who might read this I just wanted to update.

My onboard roasts do not get a dark roast at all...

However, once i learned to program the thing I am making absolutely amazing coffee. I love this roaster. Search for some roast profiles and see what you can do. Sweet Marias roast is good for city roast but the 13 minute roast I am using is absolutley perfect for the 6 lbs i have roasted of various coffees. Thanks to Morebeer for the sale on roasters and for the great roaster!
Travis
Travis
Taster Glass (2 posts)

Postby dragonrider » Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:56 pm

The roaster I use does 1/2 cup coffee beans and reaches dark roast second crack with slight oily sheen after 9 minutes. I use my own roasting profile 3 stages. For some coffees I could not imagine drinking them at a light roast while others are perfect at light roast.
good beer, german sausage, and a good book
dragonrider
6 Pack (200 posts)

Postby theisenm85 » Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:59 pm

Travis wrote:For anyone who might read this I just wanted to update.

My onboard roasts do not get a dark roast at all...

However, once i learned to program the thing I am making absolutely amazing coffee. I love this roaster. Search for some roast profiles and see what you can do. Sweet Marias roast is good for city roast but the 13 minute roast I am using is absolutley perfect for the 6 lbs i have roasted of various coffees. Thanks to Morebeer for the sale on roasters and for the great roaster!
Travis

I'm glad you got a good roast.

Interesting observations on the machine though.

I'm about 8 batches into using mine and have always stopped at least 3 minutes short of the Preset 2 11:30 program. I haven't gone quite to an Italian yet, but I have no doubt I'd have charcoal if I let it run. I haven't done any real measurement of perceived/actual temps according to the machine, I could try and test it out for mine since it seems to be a bit different.

I'm going to start programming stuff soon to try and get an exact roast cycle.... but with ambient temps and different beans, I'll probably have to watch it like a hawk anyway. Thankfully that's part of the fun!
theisenm85
Pint Glass (25 posts)

Return to Home Roasting