Stopping the ROAST

General discussions on home roasting

Moderator: Moderator Team

Stopping the ROAST

Postby Woody » Sun Nov 04, 2007 12:37 pm

:? I have some beans that a friend bought and would like me to roast them. I did some but the chaff is very bad and would like to know if stopping the roast and empty the chaff out and continue the roast. Will this hurt the beans???????????? :? :?: :?:
Woody
Taster Glass (2 posts)

Postby cooldaddybeck » Mon Nov 05, 2007 11:03 am

I've never seen a reason to empty the chaff, but I currently use the Whirley Pop which has a ton of room in there.

Don't worry about the chaff, it shouldn't make an impact.
Water, Grain, Hops, Yeast: combine, age, consume.

"You remind me of that scene from Zoolander....the one where the male models are dancing while spraying each other with gasoline..."
~SWMBO

"If there is anything that this horrible tragedy can teach us, it's that a male model's life is a precious, precious commodity. Just because we have chiseled abs and stunning features, it doesn't mean that we too can't not die in a freak gasoline fight accident. " ~Derek Zoolander
cooldaddybeck
Micro Brewery (2500 posts)

Postby Beach Brewer » Mon Nov 05, 2007 11:34 am

I wouldn't stop the roast and empty the chaff collector. Instead I'd just roast less beans until you get to the amount it takes that won't clog up the collector so fast.

I know with my IRoast 2 if the chaff collector gets too full the beans will burn very quickly. I've roasted two bean varieties that produces a ton of chaff and had to limit the amount I roasted because of it.
-Bryan
Batches Brewed: 100

"..and I will make it felony to drink small beer." --Shakespeare's Henry VI
Beach Brewer
Micro Brewery (2500 posts)

Postby Woody » Mon Nov 05, 2007 3:21 pm

Thanks. :)
Woody
Taster Glass (2 posts)

Return to Home Roasting